Nectar Pollinator headphones a $285 electrostat that might surprise you
Apr 21, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #31 of 44
I swapped out the Golden Tube SE40 with a Cary Rocket 88 (non R), and still sounding great. Also I received some pads to swap out. The new pads are similar to the ones Pollolocco used and extended the driver another 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch out from he ear. I like these pads better.

May 6, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #32 of 44
Just ordered the Nectar Hive. I've searched but there doesn't seem to be a thread just for those. If anyone knows of one I missed, please reply. Thanks!

May 6, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #33 of 44
This is the only one I know of.

May 8, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #34 of 44
Hi guys just joined the Nectar train.

My current electrostatic earspeaker are Stax Lambda Professional, Nectar Hive and the little Stax SR-002 (not on the picture).

lnp_nv.png

Pretty impressed by the Hive.

May 8, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #35 of 44
Hello! Recently got what I've been told were the first pair of Pollinators sold. Initial listens seemed promising. Anyone here know how the SRD-X Pro amp stacks up with other energizers in the Stax lineup? Hard to find info about it to gauge how it is affecting the Pollinator's sound.

May 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #36 of 44
Hello! Recently got what I've been told were the first pair of Pollinators sold. Initial listens seemed promising. Anyone here know how the SRD-X Pro amp stacks up with other energizers in the Stax lineup? Hard to find info about it to gauge how it is affecting the Pollinator's sound.
I have the Pollinator and the Stax SRD-7 pro not the same but they sound good together

May 9, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #37 of 44
The SRD-X is an entry level amp that can be run with batteries or ac . The Nectar is a about 3-6 dB less sensitive than the average Stax electrostatic. While I would think the SRD-X drive them, you would get better results with a more powerful amp.

May 9, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #38 of 44
Is the SRD-X Pro just the SRD-X with a Pro bias plug added to it? I have a fair amount of headroom left in normally using the amp, based on how much travel I have left on it, which is about halfway through the maximum rotation of the volume dial. Idk the SINAD and THD on it, though.

EDIT: Also, is the output voltage the same as the SRM-252?

Last edited:
May 9, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #39 of 44
The pro has high bias only, not sure how it compares to the SRM-252

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #40 of 44
Admit it. You check Ebay and Craig's List for those hidden headphone and amp deals and ideas. During one of those field trips I saw something called the Nectar Pollinator electrostatic headphone that was selling for $285. That got my attention. Then I looked and saw that the seller lived about 30 miles from me. So I went to his web site. This is what I saw:

DSC_0239-1536x1502.png

I contacted the owner from the contact on the site and we had some good discussions about the Pollinator and his electrostatic amp kits. I wasn't in a position to buy at the time so I shelved it. But I did exchange PMs with VRacer111 who had mentioned Nectar electrostats in a post.

VRacer111 said that the Polinator was an interesting design. It had on ear pads and a pretty tight headband. He liked the drivers but was not enthralled with the whole package. Being new to estats and since the builder was so close I decided what the hay.

I met up with the builder last Sunday and we talked for a bit and I brought a Nectar Pollinator home to add to my small estat collection. An ESP95X and a Kaldas RR1 that I am driving with a SRM 353X.

The build quality of the stock Pollinator was marginal. But for $285 I was not expecting a premium feel. A donor headband and cups are used by the builder to mount the estats in. The cups were fine but the pads were not to my liking and the headband was way too tight for my big head. But.... the drivers sounded good and it seemed that there could be more there if I could get them to open up a bit.

I have built a few Grado clone driver headphones so I looked into my spares box. There were a pair of ZMF Auteur perforated leather pads that would fit over the cup opening. To make a long story short, I put the ZMF pads on the cups and came up with a donor headband and gimbals.

IMG_0435.jpg

Here is what I came up with. A little ugly but they kick some serious tail! Very good bass, sound stage and separation. A very fun listen and they are quickly becoming my favorite estat Even trumping an L300, a modded L300 and a L407 imo.

So if you have a Stax amp and want to tinker a bit with ear pads you might want to check out the Nectar Pollinator. They are built by an Electrical Engineer who has a passion to produce excellent drivers. If you want to give them a look, here is their site information:

Nectar Sound
I cannot compare the Pollinator vs other electrostatic headphones but dare to say that these compete in sound presentation with the hd800s and the Arya.

Nov 5, 2021 at 6:28 PM Post #41 of 44
Have not heard these ones but I do have the hives. I did a comparison with them against a variety of headphones main one being the L300. Yeah they are solid headphones. They cost around $600 which is more than these though. Solid look as well love the yellow. Lots of soundstage. Would not say its my favorite headphones but I do enjoy it and it always feels cool wearing something that someone hand made like that.

Dec 10, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #42 of 44
I have been listening to my Nectar Pollinators and I have to say hat these are maybe the best gateway phones to start electrostatic headphones

Aug 10, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #43 of 44
Listening to Rush “A Farewell to Kings” 24/96 with the Pollinator. These things can rock.

Sep 24, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #44 of 44
Having fun tonight with the Nectar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back