Nature's Perfect Killing Machine?
Jun 3, 2005 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
What happens when you make a male tiger mate with a female lion? You get a rare monstrousity known as a liger. The liger is the worlds largest cat, being 12 feet tall and 900-1200 pounds. It weighs almost twice as much as the worlds (second) largest cat, the tiger. It roars like a lion, but can swim like a tiger.

They are very rare, and are almost always produced in captivity (because lions and tigers do not meet often in nature). About 30 exist.

EDIT: According to snopes, they can run up to 50 mph. (thanks Britishbane)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liger

ligerkrf.JPG

ligerstand.JPG

liger1.jpg

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 31
I think I remember they are more like cats in regards of moods, generally well tempered, nice and playful. I would love to see one face to face. By the way, are they sterile?

Jun 3, 2005 at 11:43 AM Post #5 of 31
The males are generally sterile. They are quite docile due to low testosterone levels, another side-effect of which is that they tend to be quite overweight as their bodies lay on fat instead of muscle.

Jun 3, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 31
same with those donkey half-breed things forgot their name but they're sterile too :/

i'd love to have a pet tiger! but i'd be scared when it growed full size it would eat me
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Czilla9000
What happens when you make a male tiger mate with a female lion? You get a rare monstrousity known as a liger. The liger is the worlds largest cat, being 12 feet tall and 900-1200 pounds. It weighs almost twice as much as the worlds (second) largest cat, the tiger. It roars like a lion, but can swim like a tiger.

They are very rare, and are almost always produced in captivity (because lions and tigers do not meet often in nature). About 30 exist.

EDIT: According to snopes, they can run up to 50 mph. (thanks Britishbane)

ligerkrf.JPG

I saw this guy's show in Los Angeles. It was a preview of an act they were hoping to book into Vegas. A friend of mine was hired as one of their dancers. It was a scary thing to see. The troop and show was a bit cheap and you got the feeling it was shakely cobbled together. The scary part was, when I was watching my friend dance, a cute blonde girl, I couldn't help but notice one of the tigers eyeing her exactly the way a cat watches a mouse before it pounces. Its eyes locked on her dancing, it's head lowered and moving back and forth, tracing her movements. She had been told "don't get to close to the tiger", which was chained to a perch. If she had made a misstep dancing and gotten within range of that tiger, I had no doubt of it's intentions....

Jun 3, 2005 at 12:55 PM Post #8 of 31
[napoleon]that's pretty much my favorite animal[/napoleon] lol
580smile.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 31
Definitely looks a bit of a porker,could do with a good workout.
If it really does 50mph!
confused.gif
it could catch a race horse in full flight,
that would make for some good exercise
very_evil_smiley.gif
eek.gif
wink.gif

Seems a risky business performing with lions tigers etc as they are cats
and anyone who has a pet one will attest to the fact that their hunting
mode can be activated instantly,great fun if it weights 10pounds but not
such fun if it weighs 1000 pounds!

Setmenu

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
same with those donkey half-breed things forgot their name but they're sterile too :/

I think that would be a mule, donkey-horse hybrid.

Jun 3, 2005 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleed
[napoleon]that's pretty much my favorite animal[/napoleon] lol
580smile.gif

am i, along with jefemeister and bleed, the only ones here who got the napoleon dynamite joke?
frown.gif
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 31
No adhoc, you are not alone. There is pretty much no Napolean quote that I could miss (like anyone could ever know that...)

-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back