Natural Golf?
Oct 20, 2002 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
Anybody every try Natural golf? I took a 3 hour class today. My old traditonal swing kept coming out. Just wondering.

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 17
Excuse my ignorance, could you explain what natural golf is? Is it a video lesson, golf school...? I'd like to know more.
confused.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 10:51 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
Excuse my ignorance, could you explain what natural golf is? Is it a video lesson, golf school...? I'd like to know more.
confused.gif

ditto.
confused.gif
Is this something I might suck less at then regular golf?
biggrin.gif
I know practice makes perfect, but I don't play much.

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #5 of 17
If it's golf school it really depends on individual teacher. In general I think having a golf teacher helps, but I have met some instructors who may know how to play but don't have a clue about how to teach.

If you want a self help training tool, there was a guy who once show me something called tempo master. It's a club with a really flexible shaft. It's a really great learning tool. Basically the club amplifies the mistake you make in a swing. I have been wanting to buy one, but I spent all my money on audio gear.
redface.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

It is a golf school. The premiss is you don't use the body as much as the arms.

That's going to cut your drive short and give you a wicked slice. The key is letting your body roll with the arms for the smoothest follow through. There's no substitute for practiced repetitions with a live instructor locking you into the correct form.

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 17
Repetition and flexibility are the key to a good golf swing. A problem that allot of people have trying to learn from a book or video is that they cannot make their body move like the pro that is demonstrating. That is why lessons from a good teacher really help he/she can see what your capabilities are and make the necessary adjustments.

I have a friend that uses the natural golf method. It seems that at times he plays rather well but mostly he has exchanged one problem for another.

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 17
sounds more like it should be named "hippie golf" or "yoga golf"
biggrin.gif

anybody under the age of 40 with good ability in their arms/legs owes it to themselves to play a real sport that requires activity of some kind (basketball, football, soccer, etc.).

to me, golf is as much of a sport as billiards, video games, darts, etc.

Oct 21, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

anybody under the age of 40 with good ability in their arms/legs owes it to themselves to play a real sport that requires activity of some kind (basketball, football, soccer, etc.).

If you tried carrying a bag loaded with irons around 18 holes in 90 degree weather you'd have a different attitude.

Oct 21, 2002 at 8:22 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

to me, golf is as much of a sport as billiards, video games, darts, etc.

The meaning of real sport you take on is a very narrow one. The examples you mentioned are only contact sports, aerobic sports. And that's just not what golf is.

Golf is a non-contact sport, but it doesn't take away the competitiveness of the sport. The competitiveness comes in part from the pressure intimated by your partner, however, golf is really a sport about a competition between the player and the environment (golf course, weather, etc).

Golf is also non-aerobic; There's no running, but it doesn't mean you don't need strength to play. On a contrary, it requires tremendous explosive power to swing the golf clubs, just watch Tiger Woods plays if you need to be convinced.

Golf is not a sport about speed. It doesn't matter how fast your reflex is, but it doesn't make it less a sport. It's a sport about strength (both physical and mental).

To be good in golf, one requires good ability in his arms/legs. If one waits beyond the age of 40, I'd say he already missed his prime time to be really good at it.

I'm sorry if you don't appreciate this, but calling golf not a real sport is plain wrong.

Oct 21, 2002 at 9:24 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by SumB
If you tried carrying a bag loaded with irons around 18 holes in 90 degree weather you'd have a different attitude.

i lived in florida for eighteen years. if you think i don't know what hard work in hot weather is, you are only fooling yourself. and i didn't do any of it wearing plaid pants!

Quote:

I'm sorry if you don't appreciate this, but calling golf not a real sport is plain wrong.

bowling requires the same abilities. is that a sport too? how about darts? that requires beer and sharp points, but also "arm abilities" as well. or billiards? video games. monopoly. roulette.
rolleyes.gif

gimme a break. it's as much of a sport as betting on horse races. competition does not make a sport. there was a "competition" to crack the xbox recently, is that a sport too? how many of your guy friends have had a competition to see how many phone numbers they could get in a weekend?

this is kind of a round-robin argument. but don't be offended, i could easily get into the same one with what counts "music" and what doesn't..

i don't like sports in general though. anybody who's into sports hasn't spent enough time sitting around being bitter, alone, and hating the worl-- err.. nevermind.

sorry to crap your thread, lextek. oh and did anybody watch the robin williams hbo standup, the section of it about golf?
biggrin.gif
pretty funny, a worthy download.. i'm sure somebody somewhere ripped it.

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:08 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

bowling requires the same abilities. is that a sport too? how about darts? that requires beer and sharp points, but also "arm abilities" as well. or billiards?

Why is bowling not a sport? Why does playing darts require beer? You completely lost me.

Quote:

gimme a break. it's as much of a sport as betting on horse races. competition does not make a sport. there was a "competition" to crack the xbox recently, is that a sport too? how many of your guy friends have had a competition to see how many phone numbers they could get in a weekend?

Now you're even dragging betting and your silly competition with your guy friends into discussion to prove your point?
rolleyes.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 10:41 PM Post #14 of 17
Hey I just turned 42. I started playing golf last year. If you had asked me if I would ever play golf I'd say no f&^#king way. It's a social thing. I play with quite a few folks from work. I also moutain bike, kayak and ocasionally go to the gym. I used to motocross, roadrace and do triathalons. So is golf a sport? sure I consider it an activity. A humbling one.

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:48 AM Post #15 of 17
I have been playing golf for almost 30 years. I guess the term "sport" is a relative one. I, for one, consider it more a game than a sport. However, I do consider those who do this for a living, athletes. The physical and mental stamina needed to play this game at the level they play it......well, they are athletes in every sense of the word. And to compete at that level through a 4 or 5 day tournament....you have to be prepared just like any other athlete has to be prepared. I have played in multiple day tournaments before. Granted, not at their level of competition, but it is grueling to say the least.

Back on topic. In theory, Natural Golf is supposed to simplify the movements of the golf swing, thus bringing more consistency. Moe Norman, who pioneered the "Natural Golf" method was featured in numerous Golf Digest articles. His ball striking was more consistent that many of the top touring pros of his time, however he lacked the mental toughness needed to succeed on tour, according to the articles.

Anyway, golf has got to be the most difficult game ever invented. No one will ever master it. That is why it such a great game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back