Nashville Mini-Meet Impressions -- Nov 3, 2018
Mar 24, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #137 of 142
They have case discounts.

Somewhat related, several weeks ago, I was at a farm to table type place, the person next to me ordered a whiskey sour, I watched it being made with egg whites to give it a foamy texture. I tasted and it is nothing like the cheap mixes I've had in college. So I've been on a little kick of whiskey sours, aretto sours and it has changed the way I make my Margaritas also.
Even though using a Shaker is extra work, it is well worth it in these drinks.

The lake is finally low enough I can access my boat. And it is a beautiful day out, I wish I was sipping on one now.

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #138 of 142
Wow Tom, that is quite a revelation!
Obviously we as a team knew nothing about the correct formulae.
Damn mate, I must investigate! Hey ... could be a song :)

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #139 of 142
Dick,
Here is my recipe so far
1 egg white
1.5 oz simple syrup
1.5+ oz of Nellie and Joe key West lime juice
4oz whiskey
Shake vigorously.

For the amaretto sour, 3oz whiskey and 1.5 amaretto.

Yes I know it is lime and not lemon, and it is not fresh squeezed, but it is very close to fresh squeezed taste and a lot easier.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #140 of 142
Very interesting, Tom ... a new chemistry experiment for you :)
How did you discover the Nellie and Joe lime juice?
What kind of whiskey are you using??

Mar 25, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #141 of 142
It is just like cooking, adjust quantities until it taste the way you want. I forgot to mention that you want to shake it without ice, or maybe 1 ice cube, since the purpose of the shaking is to make the egg white foam, not to cool the liquor.
Margarita's had been the main mix drink i usually make. I was looking through online recipes and someone said that they use nellie and joe lime juice and that it is excellent and as close to fresh squeezed as you can get without having to find key limes and squeeze them. My problem is that i may buy some limes, make 1 drink and then forget about the limes and have to through them out. Thus the reason i tried the juice and liked it.
Future thoughts, mix citrus, lemon or orange. Also i think this would be great in it, reduce the simple syrup in half and about an ounce of https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/l...d-dry-curacao/p/129477750?s=1120&igrules=true and adding a nice cherry would be great also.

As for whiskey, 4 roses is my house well, though I've used Bulliet and Basil Hayden's.

FYI, back to Teske's Germania again tomorrow for dinner.

Mar 26, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #142 of 142
Cool man, thanks for the new information. That curacao looks great ... interesting stuff.
I've heard that high-end cherries in such drinks make a huge difference.
So the Nellie and Joe makes a lot of sense then. An upgrade to the "old" whiskey sour and margarita mixes of our youth.

Aha - back to Teske's Germania! This time ... kartoffel puffers + wild boar sausages :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back