Nashville - Center Hill Lake: Whiskey-Fi / Head-Fi Meet: Nov 2, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 19, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #32 of 76
Ooh the memories ... September 2015 Music City meet impressions thread.

Matt Lost in Space - Sept 2015.jpg

In The Groove.jpg
The report was that Matt was listening to Barry Manilow :)

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #34 of 76
What's up with your signature, Matt? Semi retired from HF and not responding to PM's.
Too many computers that need repairs, or more time on the golf course? :)

Oct 19, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #35 of 76
Nah, just pulling back from the "active" part of the hobby. More time listening to music on the gear I've collected. Less time on HF. Just waiting on my last shipped item to be received and then...logging out.

Oct 19, 2019 at 1:03 PM Post #36 of 76
Yeah Matt, I hear that. I haven't looked for new gear in awhile, since buying the LCD-4. Really happy where I'm at these days :)

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:26 AM Post #37 of 76
I'm looking forward to seeing everyone also, and will get with Thom on what food I should bring. I just purchased a Pass Labs headphone amplifier so hope to bring it, assuming everyone/anyone is interested in hearing it. I might as well bring my Ether 2s also.

At the first of the month I emailed the guys at Woo Audio about (eventually) receiving a set of the MySphere headphones to demo - at the time they had a pair but I wasn't then in a position to give them a listen. If anyone is interested, maybe I could call/write and see if they still have a pair available; if they do I could have them in time for the meet??? Thoughts? Interest?

I was talking to Doug at ecp today (he makes these),

and he was extolling the virtues of the Senn HD 650s as well as the Focal Clear (or, the Focal Utopias). I've never heard either; if someone has them and wants to bring them I'd be interested in having a listen!
I do have both HD650 and utopia, if I can make. I will bring both.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #38 of 76
Nah, just pulling back from the "active" part of the hobby. More time listening to music on the gear I've collected. Less time on HF. Just waiting on my last shipped item to be received and then...logging out.
OK, since you're not responding to PM's, please let me ask a question here.
Last time we traded messages, you were very happy with your Gungnir MB/A2.
Now your profile shows a Bifrost 2 in place of the Gungnir.
Can I ask why the change ... was it for space, or with Unison does the Bifrost 2 sound better than the Gungnir MB/A2 with Gen5 USB?
Or, did your Gungnir not have Gen5 USB?

Thanks in advance!

ps. The Headamp gs-x mini is a very interesting amplifier!
:)

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #39 of 76
I was using Gumby A2 with EITR. Then I got a chance to audition the new Bifrost 2 with Unison usb. The Bifrost won out for me because it is smaller (deskspace), much less expensive (sold the gumby/EITR), black option (matches my other gear) and has equally performing single ended RCA and balanced outputs. The only downside that I could come up with was that an upgraded gumby option might outperform the new bifrost, but I'm okay with that.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #40 of 76
Got it - thanks. So, do the Bifrost 2 and Headamp gs-x mini fit well together, I mean stacking?

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #41 of 76
Not at all. I've got them to the left and right of my monitor. You don't stack gear with the gs-x mini anyway, as it runs very warm. I've actually just picked up a very cool (pun intended) accessory for the mini. It's an amplifier cooling unit. It stacks perfectly atop the mini and allows the amp to run 20 degrees cooler than without it. Now I just leave the amp on 24/7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVW4SLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #42 of 76
Not at all. I've got them to the left and right of my monitor. You don't stack gear with the gs-x mini anyway, as it runs very warm. I've actually just picked up a very cool (pun intended) accessory for the mini. It's an amplifier cooling unit. It stacks perfectly atop the mini and allows the amp to run 20 degrees cooler than without it. Now I just leave the amp on 24/7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LVW4SLP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That's a nifty device! Thanks for the info, Matt.

Oct 21, 2019 at 12:01 AM Post #43 of 76
I have a couple new loves, the first being the Vérité Closed, I kid you all not, it’s one of the best headphones I’ve ever had in the House. I’ve become an official ZMF Fanboi. Between my Vérité Open, and the Closed, I am set.

8A9AD6AA-3525-49B8-A00C-952A6B65C824.jpeg FF4F1D95-72A1-4B42-8733-82FF19AABC3A.jpeg

Oct 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM Post #44 of 76
I do have both HD650 and utopia, if I can make. I will bring both.
Thanks a lot; I'll look forward to hearing them!
My Pass Labs HPA-1 is held up at FedEx in Murphreesboro until tomorrow - red tape and inefficiency. I'll give a report soon, and bring the amp next weekend.

Edit: OH, and it will be great to meet Dick and Matt, if they can both attend. Looking back at my notes and PMs, it was some time in 2016 when I first PM-ed and then talked a few times to Dick, who also told me to call Matt in ATL, which I did. I just went back and found the pages of notes I took from conversations with both. That was three years ago; I sure did take a long time to get a system assembled! But their enthusiasm got me, or kept me, on the road to high-end audio again and I'm enjoying it a lot now - so thanks for helping a newb along!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back