Nano EQ Question?
Apr 5, 2006 at 1:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spyro

Headphoneus Supremus
Are the settings an "either/or" choice? For example, when you are on the "Rock" or "Jazz" or "Lounge" settings, you cannot additionally increase or decrease the treble or bass (or loudness) within these specific settings can you? This seems to be the case. Hopefully I am being clear.

I can't imagine any other setting but "Rock" which seems to slightly boost treble and bass. Many of the other settings can make the Ipod sound like a $30 cassette walkman.

Apr 5, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 11
Isn't there 3rd party software that can do it? Rockbox?

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 11
You can also adjust the EQ within itunes right? You can do individual songs or entire albums. Haven't played around with it so not sure whether its good or not.

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarity
You can also adjust the EQ within itunes right? You can do individual songs or entire albums. Haven't played around with it so not sure whether its good or not.

You can change the EQ in iTunes, but this does NOT carry across to the iPod
frown.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by biggulp
Is the equalizer on rockbox any better than the crappy built-in one from the default firmware?

i'd say so. there's a bunch of things you can change like low shelf filter, peak filters, high shelf filter, different Hz gains, precut, graphical EQ, etc. i don't even know what all that stuff is. and many things can be adjusted by dB so it's accurate.

Apr 6, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanhayn
i'd say so. there's a bunch of things you can change like low shelf filter, peak filters, high shelf filter, different Hz gains, precut, graphical EQ, etc. i don't even know what all that stuff is. and many things can be adjusted by dB so it's accurate.

It's a five-band parametric equalizer. The low-shelf filter is basically a bass boost/cut and the high-shelf filter is basically a treble-boost cut. However, unlike most bass and treble functions, the low and high shelf filters let you control not only the amount of boost, but also the frequency at which the boost/cut starts.

The other three EQ bands are peaking filters. These are just like the bands on any traditional equalizer, except that you can adjust (1) the center frequency of the EQ band, and (2) the "width" of frequencies that that EQ band will affect. This latter setting is called "Q" and the higher the Q number, the narrower the affect of that EQ band will be.

Pre-cut allows you to lower the overall gain. Since the equalizer allows you to boost frequencies, it is possible that the eq will cause clipping. The pre-cut feature allows you to cut the overall gain to compensate for the gain that you are adding to specific frequencies through the equalizer so that clipping doesn't occur at the DAC stage. (You can always raise the master volume to recover volume that you may have lost by using the pre-cut feature.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back