Nano 5G not working with line out cable
Sep 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

EvilGnome6

New Head-Fier
I did some searching around but couldn't find an answer to this one.

My wife just picked up a Nano 5G but when we try to hook it up to our car stereos using a dock to mini cable, the sound just comes out of the iPod's internal speaker rather than going through the line out.

Is the pinout different? Is there a setting on the iPod that needs to be changed (I looked through all the setup options but nothing seemed relevant).

Thanks.

Sep 12, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #2 of 12
For the newer ipods (classic, 4g nano, touch, iphone) the pinout was different. I believe you had to short pin 11 to ground and then use pins 3 and 4 for the channels. Once you made the cable, it also works on older ipods too.

I forget the exact pinout, but I made a lot of them in the past. I remember people being angry because their older ipod dock accessories didn't work correctly with the newer ipods. Same deal I think.

Edit: I take it back. My friends classic worked with my old line out cable. His touch, however, did not.

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 12
Maybe you forgot to pay the $30 extra for the old dock port...
biggrin.gif

f$cking ridiculous...and next year you will want more from them. haha
lets see who bites

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you forgot to pay the $30 extra for the old dock port...
biggrin.gif

f$cking ridiculous...and next year you will want more from them. haha
lets see who bites

Stop trolling bro, it's not all that appreciated. If you can't add to the convo, leave it alone.

Sep 13, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #5 of 12
How old are your Line Out cables? Like Punnisher said, it could just be that the 5G is set like the Touch and iPhone and your cable is too old.

I sure hope they didn't change the pin configuration again...

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 12
Was not aware that the 5G nano even had an internal speaker... Is it similar to the Touch's speaker?

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #8 of 12
errmm guys; do you really think it is THAT unreasonable for them to change the interface pinout once in 5 generations?? the original ipod classic 3G pinout has been around for a LONG time and apple have been phasing in the new one; first was iphone 3G, then touch 2G and now by the sounds of it nano 5G are now using the new pinout. people demand new features and hardware must manage this somehow. devices that need the serial communications functionality require this new pinout. pin 11 must be either shorted to one of the ground pins (you get a warning prompt) or connected to ground through a resistor (full functionality)

I love it how people pop in and use this topic as an excuse to bash apple. and before you call fanboy; yeah I have a few ipods (modified and running rockbox) and an iphone 3G (jailbroken) and i'm typing this on my G5 mac; but i'm listening to my JH13 through my iriver->D10 now. I go where the SQ is. I have my eye; or rather ear on the 3gs as an upgrade to my 3g when my contract is up. perhaps they'll have a 64gb by then.

Sep 14, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #10 of 12
Wow. That's really frustrating. The one in my car I made myself (needed a really short one) and Mrs. Gnome's is just a cheapo from CablesToGo. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to fix mine up since I super glued the connector together but at least I know I'll have to make a new one if/when I do upgrade from my trusty Nano 3G.

This is just for car audio use so I'm not too concerned about quality. I just like the convenience of not having to monkey with cranking up the volume on the iPod when connecting the headphone out to the Aux input of the car stereo (and then blasting out eardrums when switching to headphones).

I did a little poking around. If I understand correctly, all of the iPhones, the iTouch 2G and now the Nano 5G have the new pinouts so if I pick up a dock > 3.5mm cable for the iPhone, I should be good to go, right? Based on that assumption, would this one work?

Amazon.com: inspiretech iPhone 3G 3GS Dock to 3.5 Auxilary Aux Audio Cable: Electronics

Like I said, it doesn't have to be high quality, it's really just a practical consideration.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #11 of 12
poking around, I even gave you the pinout above, I make these things daily. that one will probably work, but whether you get a warning of some sort i'm not too sure. even if it does, just say no and your good to go.

I cannot confirm that tyhe nano 5g is truly the same pinout as iphone 3g etc. but i'm 99% sure. apple would have to be idiotic to change the pinout again. as I said its been a progression through new releases of each now product. they changed the serial communications protocol, so serial ground needs to be pulled to ground or put through a resistor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back