Name your HD-650 cable upgrade
May 10, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #17 of 32
As far as I know, new ones are sold solely by their manufacturers. Have a nice day!
tongue.gif

May 10, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fickle-Friend
ok where can i get my hands on the cheapest Zu cable or the silver dragon?

There is a zu up for sale in the forums as we speak, but im not sure how long it will last. Other than that I would just stick around the forums and hope for one to pop up. Good luck!

Regards,
Dan

May 10, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #19 of 32
I've got the Russ Andrews HC1 replacement Headphone cable for my HD 650's,
made from Solid Core Hyper-pure copper Kimber Kable. It's pretty pricey, I
paid £225. for 3 metre length, but it's definately worth it.

Best wishes,

Paul.

May 10, 2004 at 1:51 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harty
I've got the Russ Andrews HC1 replacement Headphone cable for my HD 650's,
made from Solid Core Hyper-pure copper Kimber Kable. It's pretty pricey, I
paid £225. for 3 metre length, but it's definately worth it.

Best wishes,

Paul.

problem with Russ Andrew is that everything is hugely overpriced. for example £300 for HD-650s. Thats almost murder!

May 10, 2004 at 1:54 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
The HD580 really sounds best with the Oehlbach (and matches the budget), the HD600 sounds just right with the Cardas

I am a bit puzzled by this. I thought the HD580 and HD600 sounded almost identical? If that is true, then why would the HD580 not also sound best with the Cardas, if the HD600 does?

May 10, 2004 at 6:11 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbirkett
I am a bit puzzled by this. I thought the HD580 and HD600 sounded almost identical? If that is true, then why would the HD580 not also sound best with the Cardas, if the HD600 does?

I think Neilpeart wanted to emphasize the price points and not the improvement. I personally haven't heard the Oehlbach, but the Cardas improves on HD580 almost as much as with HD600.

May 11, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #23 of 32
My statement reflected both sentiments. Yes the HD580 and 600 are very similar, with subtle differences that become more apparent as the associated equipment improves (and the HD650 is an even larger departure from the 580/600, if still a relatively subtle one). However, the answer applies in both cases. The Zu Mobius is the best aftermarket cable I've heard, and its synergy is undeniable with the HD650. It also sounds great with the HD580 and HD600. However, the HD600 simply sounds more "right" with the Cardas cable, even though the Zu is, IMO, a better cable. In that same vein, the HD580 sounds more at home with the Oehlbach. Sure the Zu sounds better in many areas and so does the Cardas, but the Oehlbach performs very well and matches the amazing price of the HD580. The two sound very good together. I am in the process of selling my Zu and buying the Oehlbach, but not because I hate the Zu - I'm selling the Zu because I need the cash, and the Oehlbach fits my budget while still sounding great.

May 11, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #24 of 32
I recently ordered a Moon Audio Silver Dragon.
It should be here maybe near the end of this week?
I'll be sure and post my impressions when it does arrive.

May 11, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #25 of 32
I ordered the Zu a few months ago, went for the Zu only because there was a long wait for the Silver Dragon. Had never heard either, but from reading reviews I wanted to have either one of these silver replacement cables for the 650's. Haven't been able to compare with anything, not even with the stock, don't want to take them out and replug. In any case, the 650's with Zu sounds very clean and clear to me, very comfortable and non-fatiguing headphones, am very happy with them.

May 11, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #27 of 32
I have a 20 foot Cardas that I got from gbeard that lets me get a great deal from my 650s. It also is a plus that it reaches all the way to the living room couch for those golden moments when all the kids are asleep.

May 11, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #29 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Quick Oehlbach question... Does it terminate in a 1/4" or 1/8" plug?

It's only available with 1/4" plug and a lenght of 3 m. But soldering a 1/8" plug onto it is not too difficult.

peacesign.gif

May 11, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniac
Quick Oehlbach question... Does it terminate in a 1/4" or 1/8" plug?

I'm under the impression that the rest of them terminate in 1/8".

The cardas, oehlbach, equinox, Zu, and silver dragon are all terminated with 1/4" plugs.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back