Name that part...
Sep 10, 2009 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

scootermafia

MOT: Double Helix Cables
Anyone know what you call this infinitely useful stuff found in generic cables? It's pretty tough and I've found it's generally good for patching and shielding stuff inside amps, it's only conductive one one side due to that blue backing so there's a million and one uses for it.

8br.jpg

Edit: it's probably mylar backed aluminum, but nobody seems to sell it.

Sep 10, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #3 of 16
Possibilities:-
1. It's something that really needs to see the inside of a garbage bin.
2. May have fallen off the space shuttle.
3. A new form of planar diode.
4. Something that escaped from DARPA.
5. Sell it on EBAY for a million bucks.

Sep 10, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 16
Big winner is #4. It's 1/1000000000000th of a high powered robot.

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 16
conductive plastic/mylar foil shield

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 16
Oh....!!!! Qusp, You're such a spoilsport....
Thus this game endeth.
And our wits will have to find some other legitimate outlet.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #7 of 16
It's part of a tinfoil hat to prevent the government from stealing your memories.

I do have a friend that wraps his passport up in foil - for fear of someone stealing his info. :X

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #8 of 16
hehe; yeah sorry; so endeth the game of ...errrmmm what were we playing again??
wink.gif

scoot; digikey, mouser, wirecare all sell this stuff under different names. wirecare will sell it as mylar wrap as will digikey, mouser will have it with the rest of the EMI/RFI shielding materials like copper foil etc. I prefer actual copper or silver foil (shin) for shielding, but this stuff is really light, strong and flexible as you say, so it has its uses. its not the most conductive stuff, but decent

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's part of a tinfoil hat to prevent the government from stealing your memories.

I do have a friend that wraps his passport up in foil - for fear of someone stealing his info. :X

I suppose he's on the look-out for space men too?? does your friend take acid or just some type of anti-psychotic that he is NOT taking
wink.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #10 of 16
You may be able to replace it with double-sided foam mounting tape + aluminum foil. You need the special cryo treated foil though. It just so happens that I happen to have a full roll available.

gs1000.gif

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #11 of 16
confused.gif
humour???

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose he's on the look-out for space men too?? does your friend take acid or just some type of anti-psychotic that he is NOT taking
wink.gif

Lol, no idea. He's a cool guy, but he doesn't like RFID chips for some reason and was horrified when he found out his passport had one in it.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, no idea. He's a cool guy, but he doesn't like RFID chips for some reason and was horrified when he found out his passport had one in it.

You could put his mind at ease by letting him know that the only thing stored on the RFID tag is the photograph for now. That is if he hasn't taken a hammer to the chip yet.

Sep 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rshuck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could put his mind at ease by letting him know that the only thing stored on the RFID tag is the photograph for now. That is if he hasn't taken a hammer to the chip yet.

eh, I don't think that'll get his passport out of the aluminum foil case, he also said something about RFID-activated roadside bombs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back