Name an album you LOVE that critics HATE...
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Normally everyone has one or two, some folks may know thousands of albums that critics said stay away from.

Name your album.:p

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Constrictor..............................Alice Cooper

Constrictor is the sixteenth studio album by rock musician Alice Cooper released on September 22, 1986. After retiring from the music industry after the release of DaDa, Cooper remained in seclusion for three years. He starred in Monster Dog, a horror film for which he wrote two songs. He also guest starred on the Twisted Sister track "Be Chrool to Your Scuel". Constrictor was Alice Cooper's first record to feature bass playing by Kip Winger, who would later gain great fame with his own band, Winger.

Cooper sought the aid of heavy metal guitarist Kane Roberts for the album, which resulted in a sound Cooper had never tapped into before. Constrictor exposed a whole new generation of teens to the original shock rocker, returning him to the charts at number 59 after his previous two releases Zipper Catches Skin and DaDa had entirely failed to crack the Top 200.[2] For all intents and purposes, Constrictor was the first "normal" album Cooper had released in nearly eight years, since his records following From the Inside were seen as largely experimental.

The horror series Friday the 13th teamed up with Cooper during this time to produce the theme song for its latest film. The song “He's Back (The Man Behind the Mask)” was written for Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives and went on to become a #1 hit in Sweden. Also featured in the film were Constrictor’s “Teenage Frankenstein” and “Hard Rock Summer,” which did not end up on the album.

The track “The Great American Success Story” was apparently intended as the theme song to the Rodney Dangerfield film Back to School, but was not actually used.

The demo of “He’s Back (The Man Behind the Mask)” was totally different from the final album version. A reworked version of the “He's Back” demo landed on the album as “Trick Bag” instead. The version of “He’s Back” that was featured in Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives was remixed from the album version.

Constrictor also led to one of the most successful tours of the late '80s, “The Nightmare Returns” tour. Three songs from the album, “Teenage Frankenstein”, “Give It Up” and “The World Needs Guts” were regularly performed on this tour.[3] However, as with all Cooper live songs since Lace and Whiskey, these songs failed to remain in the setlist during subsequent tours. “Teenage Frankenstein” was also played on the tour supporting the follow-up Raise Your Fist and Yell album and occasionally during the 2001 “Descent into Dragontown” tour,[4] whilst “He’s Back (The Man Behind the Mask)” was played occasionally in the late 1980s and the early 2000s before becoming a frequent part of the setlist on the “Raise the Dead” tour.[5] Apart from these opening and closing songs, nothing from Constrictor has been performed live since 1989.

Redcarmoose says...............

This album never gets liked, it seems to some to be the low point in ACs huge multi-generational musical output. The lyrics may be at times teenage, but that was his target audience. I love the LP sound of this disk. In terms of 80s metal it is a masterpiece of that recording style. The drums and guitar are perfect. This seems to be a wild card to pull out when I just can't find a fast cheesy fix of 80s metal!

So Killer gets all the love. BDBs is ok. Welcome To My Nightmare is ok. For some reason I am not even able to tolerate Alice Cooper Goes To Hell? So what do you really have to play? Schools Out! Yes.

I'm not into greatest hits comps but want to hear the original LPs in all there floor of the bedroom teenage glory. The sequence of the songs, the sound of a needle drop. A click, a pop, you show me a perfect Alice Cooper record from the day and I will show you a waist. These disks got beer all over them due to being brought out at midnight when things were just getting going. They were thrown around and gave their life for the moment just like we all did.

OK, So later Alice went out of fashion and fell like many into the the 80s metal epidemic. His style goes great with Constrictor. What else do you want. In the simple form and purpose it is what it is. A great rock record with a shocking cover. I dare you you to try and play air guitar to Teenage Frankenstein in your underwear with out grinning just a little. That is what this stuff is about. We have all been way to serious about our music, getting a little farther from the true meaning every year. I still remember when Alice was a great threat to America! Ruining the minds of American youth with his over the top shows and lyrics. Today he is as harmless as a puppy except being the grandfather of shock rock right next to Aurthur Brown. He has set the shock template for all the Slipknots, Kiss, bands in the world. Anything else out there who is attempting to be cutting edge or bad owes their shock grade school antics to the band known as Alice Cooper.

Apr 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 6
Megadeth - So Far, So Good... So What!

Definitely a bit raw and rather unpolished. There are definitely faster, heavier and downright better Megadeth albums but this one seems to have a really bad reputation when most of the songs are actually really good. Mary Jane, Anarchy in the UK, In My Darkest Hour are some of my favorite Megadeth songs.

I also agree with the guy above me. When I was going through ELO's discography I was a little nervous about this one based on the review I had read. It's not their best but its a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back