Nakamichi headphones, any good?
May 12, 2007 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

AudioCats

Headphoneus Supremus
heard the Nakamichi is pretty good at making recording equipment and such, are their headphones any good?

Just curious, thanks for any info
eggosmile.gif

May 12, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember when Nakamichi was THE high end cassette deck. That was a while ago - back when people bought cassette decks.

the dragon in particular nothing like it came close except
reel to reel.

May 12, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 28
You're probably talking about SP-7s. I have a pair and they're not bad. I used to work for Nak in the early 90's when they sold them by the pallet. The drivers were made by a Japanese company named Primo, who also made Grado drivers, according to everyone at Nak back then anyway. The cords can go "intermitant, and they can get kind of loose on your head, which is usually fixable if you have very small phillips head screwdriver. I replaced my pads with Grado SR-60 pads.

May 12, 2007 at 12:43 PM Post #11 of 28
IIRC, there was an model from Joseph Grado line that is thought to be made by nakamichi, dont know. Dont count on me in this one. But does Nakamichi make all the Grado drivers, I think its a load of bull...

May 12, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

I remember when Nakamichi was THE high end cassette deck. That was a while ago - back when people bought cassette decks.

What are cassette decks?

evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Exactly. Every High-End show featured the golden 1000ZXL with white gloves draped over it. Work of art, no doubt.

May 12, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #14 of 28
I used to have a pair of those (SP-7 I think) a long time ago. They looked and sounded like grados as I recall. Uncomfortable and too much mids but detailed and very much "alive".

May 12, 2007 at 10:48 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IIRC, there was an model from Joseph Grado line that is thought to be made by nakamichi, dont know. Dont count on me in this one. But does Nakamichi make all the Grado drivers, I think its a load of bull...

Re-read my post. Nakamichi didn't make the drivers for the SP7s, a company named Primo did. They made the capsules for most if not all of the very highly regarded Nak microphones as well. I was head of service admin for Nak back then and I was told that Primo made drivers for Grado headphones as well as ours. This was around 1990-1992.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back