Naive "difference" question! (UPDATED - ANSWERED)
Apr 21, 2010 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sainthoodx

Head-Fier
Backstory:
My Macbook Pro (2009 Penryn) integrated audio sucks! I found this out by common sense AND buying a Sennheiser PC350 headset recently (which I will soon replace with the PC360 if it ever freakin' comes out in the US!). I couldn't even use an analog mic on the MBP without sacrificing my audio-out jack (lame)!

Decision:
I am a gamer with a laptop (unfortunately) and a headset in need of better sound, so I am deciding if I should and why to get an Astro Mixamp versus a Creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 sound card. Does anybody have thoughts, experience, or recommendations?

What are the best device options out there for me to get for simulated headset surround sound without just upgrading to a desktop?

------------------ **UPDATE**----------------------

Just an update:

I've learned a lot in the past couple of months:
My current setup is a far cry from a Xonar U1 USB soundcard. It was a noticable step up from the Macbook Pro integrated soundcard output with my Senn HD595s, but was still very lacking in SQ for music and games. As I found out the hard way, even decent headphones can't do a whole lot fix the sound of a subpar source.

I now have a desktop computer with an X-Fi titanium soundcard (for 3D gaming positioning), which I pass optically to my Musical Fidelity V-DAC (because internal soundcard DACs are ALWAYS inferior to dedicated external DACs - I retain all of the soundcard 3d software and features while the DAC does all the digital-to-analog processing), then the DAC is connected (via RCA lc) to a Matrix M-Stage amp (a solid state amp, or not a tube amp), which is then attached to my Beyer DT880 / 600ohmz (very high impendence headphones). It's amazing how easily one gets sucked into audiophilia :-/

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #2 of 9
I have more questions now also:

1) My Sennheiser PC-350 is 150ohms, will my sound quality improve if I use the mixamp or some other amp or is my integrated sound (or USB X-Fi card) enough to drive them without change?

2) If I'm plugging the PC-350 directly into an amp (like Astro Mixamp, or Nuforce Icon or something - those are amps right?), does that mean that the amp is acting as a sound card by itself - with adjustable EQ etc? Would it be as good for 3D positioning in gaming?

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 9
1. Many suggest those cans sound better with amplification.

2. If you have an external amp and it is just an amplifier, it has no features that you can access through the system. Those are external sound interfaces that would allow this. Such as a USB recording interface...etc.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:36 PM Post #5 of 9
Yesyesyes, the PC350 does really need an amp. When I first got my PC350 I plugged them directly to my computer X-Fi Xtrememusic card, but oh boy they sounded quite bad. Some might say 'tinny' is a good description for the sound. However, I got my self a cMoyBB (bass boost) amp and it really made a difference. Even music sounds good on the PC350 now, although I bought them for gaming and communication.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 9
Thank you. But by plugging the headset into the AMP, does it no longer give you all the X-Fi soundcard benefits (like simulated 3D surround sound, eq, etc..) ??? Knowing the answer would clear up a lot of confusion for me!

Apr 22, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sainthoodx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you. But by plugging the headset into the AMP, does it no longer give you all the X-Fi soundcard benefits (like simulated 3D surround sound, eq, etc..) ??? Knowing the answer would clear up a lot of confusion for me!

If you send the digital out from your XFI card, to a DAC/Amp, you will still reap the benefits.

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 9
Sweet! I decided to go for a Asus Xonar U1 instead of the X-Fi.. Apparently it works as a DAC/AMP and offers the Dolby Surround 5.1 software/EAX for gaming. A pretty amazing USB device for laptops like mine. Sadly it was discontinued (but still driver supported), so I couldn't find it anywhere except eBay.
frown.gif
X-Fi Go! and Creative USB 5.1 users may never know what they're missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back