Naim headline 2 impression
May 1, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #46 of 76
fcklo, just look for your local hong kong naim distributor. maybe you should stick with napsc to see if you like the sound to begin with before thinking about plunking down on one of the hi-er power supplies.

that said, i plan on upgrading to a hicap when i have the funds because the sound i'm getting now leaves me craving for even more of this addictive response. in a genuine sense and not the cliched 'holy crap this is so amazing *gush *gush *gush... new shiny toy yay!' syndrome.

it has me digging up old albums that i haven't listened to in ages because i want to experience everything all over again, not because it sounds so 'nice' but because i get so much fun/enjoyment out of the music. yes it's refreshing revisiting albums anyway but it's more rewarding this time around, the emotional connection just clicks.

nigel, i took a look at what your current system is and that is the opposite direction of what naim sound is. i have a feeling you just prefer a more orthodox sound than what naim gave you when you tried it out.

May 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #47 of 76
[QUOTE/]nigel, i took a look at what your current system is and that is the opposite direction of what naim sound is. i have a feeling you just prefer a more orthodox sound than what naim gave you when you tried it out.[/QUOTE]

Actually I don't agree that I have gone the opposite direction to a Naim system. I was looking for a fast, detailed, dynamic and upfront sound that Naim provide but after listening to the Rega Saturn,Naim CD5x and Cyrus CD8x(since replaced by 8se because my 8x was stolen) I choose the Cyrus. The Cyrus and Naim both have the sound character that I wanted but the Cyrus had a more balanced sound and this was using Rega/Naim cables and amps. My original Naim system was Linn LP12/Lingo, Naim ARO/Linn Archiv, Naim 82/140/Hicap/ Naim SBL speakers. So I feel I know the Naim sound and my current system gives me that and more clarity,detail(maybe due to the fact that I use headphones now) and dynamics than my previous system.

May 1, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #49 of 76
sorry, i was only referring to your choice of headphones, mainly hd600 and k701 which i feel are neither fast, dynamic or upfront.

i would love to hear a solo sometime tho. the feedback on it makes me guess that it's a more balanced sound that still times well.

May 1, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #50 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry, i was only referring to your choice of headphones, mainly hd600 and k701 which i feel are neither fast, dynamic or upfront.

i would love to hear a solo sometime tho. the feedback on it makes me guess that it's a more balanced sound that still times well.

No probs. I actually feel that the K701's are pretty fast headphones and although I like speed, I do listen to rock/metal so I need speed
biggrin.gif
, I don't feel that the HD650 is slow just not overly fast. If I can hear every beat/pluck during double bass drumming and guitar solo's I am happy. I do!
It obviously helps that I have a fast source and amp and a fast cable on the Senn's. I also recently purchased ALO 780. Very nice as well. Much more upfront and punchy and the bass well don't get me started.

May 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #51 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the Flatcap2 should be more than doing justise to the Headline2 ?

From my experience, it depends on the cans you use.
A Hicap is probably a mandatory for me, with the RS1. It's good with a NAPSC, but a HC can control the notorious bass of the RS1 better.

With AT cans, a NAPSC was perfectly fine and a FC2 would be a waste because you don't own any other Naim pieces. ( it's the only PSU can power two things )

May 2, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #52 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I briefly heard the Naim headline v1 when I auditioned CD Players and was not particularly impressed. I have also owned expensive Naim kit in the past ( > £10000) and I don`t recall it being as rythmic or involving as my current much cheaper system.

A NAHA2 is a completely different design inside from the original Olive NAHA and reflects their current voicing. ( less Olive sound for sure )

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #53 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by fkclo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Kuma.

Can't imagine spending $6k on the power supply to feed a headphone amp that is less than 20% of its price
confused_face_2.gif
Probably the Flatcap2 should be more than doing justise to the Headline2 ?

F. Lo

I am using Naim Headline 2 with Naim Flatcap 2x. The source is Naim CD 5x and the phones are Grado 325i.

I am pritty happy with the sound. Much better than with iSupply that I was using at the beginning. It is fast, nice extension in the top and bottom area, balanced presentation. Lot of details, too. The only complaint might be a certain lack of transparency, which may be remarked only when compared directly with some nice (and much more expencieve) tube class A amps. On the other hand, what you get is pure musicality .... typial Naim sound, where you simply do not care any more about bass, highs, transparency, stage, .... all these HiFi things ...

I also have heavily modded Musical Fidelity X-Can V2, which is a hybrid, pure class A design. Although I like the sound of this MF very much, Naim combo is better ...

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #54 of 76
That's a very nice set you have.

Btw, transparency issue is somewhat misleading as it improves with the source and PSU upgrade amongst other things!

I do wish they will come up with a Reference Series NAHA someday. ( the one with floating brass circuit board )

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #55 of 76
Hi
I had a headline 2 and napsc 2 which i put about 600 hours use on.Enjoyed listening to my HD650 more than my GS1000 on the naim,but after listening to HD650 out of the line stage of my monarchy NM24 i sold the naim and grado.The NM24 took the sennheisers to another level of musicality,detail and overall enjoyment.To my ears the differences weren't subtle either.

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #56 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kuma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a very nice set you have.

Btw, transparency issue is somewhat misleading as it improves with the source and PSU upgrade amongst other things!

I do wish they will come up with a Reference Series NAHA someday. ( the one with floating brass circuit board )

Hi Kuma,

Nice "meeting" you after a while on another forum. When I was putting this Naim system together couple of years ago, I listened to your advices then ... and I am pritty happy now that I followed them ...
smile_phones.gif

I am thinking (and planning) now to upgrade. My first thought was to go after Grado RS-1. According to your comment, that would probably mean upgrading Naim PSU as well ? Do you have any experiences with these new Grado's 1000 ? Worth the money ?

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #57 of 76
The Naim and GS1000 was the worst pairing I have ever heard, considering their total cost (with naspc). Sound was grainy, edgy and ear bleeding.
Don't get me wrong, the headline is a great amp, just not for grados.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #58 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Naim and GS1000 was the worst pairing I have ever heard, considering their total cost (with naspc). Sound was grainy, edgy and ear bleeding.

HI , when i bought my RS-1 i got the chance to listen to them at the dealer's place through a naim and i loved what i heard. I listened to the RS-1 and the GS1000 and they both sounded really good.
don't forget that it depends on the rest of the setup too...dac,cables,power supplies.

but imo the general sound of the naim was really good, a ss sound but to the warm side. the dire straits' "brother in arms" sounded amazing with the RS-1's. i even considered to get it once but instead went for the EF1 cause i wanted to tuberoll
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:36 PM Post #59 of 76
DeJanM,

Nice to see you again.

GS1000.
I had a brief listen and didn't much care for what it did. Not sure if it's worth the extra over the RS1 to be honest. I actually prefer the 325i over them. :x
NAHA/NAPSC does work with the RS1, but I highly recommend getting the HC2 for the pair. ( better bass handling and better note decays over all )

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #60 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by yossi126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It probably driven by a wrong source.
A NAHA is not a grainy/edgy amp in general unless something is off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back