Naim DAC
Oct 23, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #46 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Naim dealer didn't like it when I said "ooo a Naim midi hifi!" :-D

LOL.

I've never got the Naim sound at all. Still, we all have different tastes.

Oct 23, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #47 of 60
I have yet to a Naim CD player that I have liked even though I had a Naim system years ago. Thought the CD5x was a distant 3rd when I auditioned it against the Cyrus CD8x and the Rega Saturn. So I don't expect much of the DAC. I do think Naim gear is way overpriced compared to the performance it offers although you would be hard pressed to find better built.
I find that Cyrus do the Naim things just as well but also do the non Naim things as well.

Oct 23, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #48 of 60
Naim kit is a very Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it.

Personally I think it sounds terrible.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #49 of 60
After spending lots of time at a shop comparing, a combination that worked absolutely best with both Linn Majik 109 and Neat Motive 2 -speakers, was a Linn Majik CD/DS + Naim Supernait. Comparing the Linn Majik CD to the DAC of the Supernait, it wasn't even fair. Even using Classik Music (integrated device) as a CDP, it clearly whooped the DAC of the Supernait.
I really think the new DAC should be tons of better than the Supernait's DAC, since it really was quite bad.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:37 AM Post #51 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-fi Wigwammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Naim kit is a very Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it.

Personally I think it sounds terrible.

I agree but I have nothing against the Naim sound as such. Like I have said I had an expensive Naim system years ago (Linn LP12/Naim ARO,Linn Archiv,Naim 82/Hicap/140, Naim SBL Speakers).
I just feel that Cyrus do the Naim thing better for alot less and also do the non Naim thing like sounstaging,imagery and detail.

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by nigeljames /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree but I have nothing against the Naim sound as such. Like I have said I had an expensive Naim system years ago (Linn LP12/Naim ARO,Linn Archiv,Naim 82/Hicap/140, Naim SBL Speakers).
I just feel that Cyrus do the Naim thing better for alot less and also do the non Naim thing like sounstaging,imagery and detail.

I see you got the solo srg. are you using the dac on the cyrus 8se?
if so, are you planning to invest in a stand alone dac?

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by oldson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you got the solo srg. are you using the dac on the cyrus 8se?
if so, are you planning to invest in a stand alone dac?

I have thought about one of the Audio-gd dacs. Would like the Ref1 (who wouldn't) but would probably go for the Dac9 Mk3. Don't get me wrong I have absolutely no need for a DAC, I am extremely pleased with the Cyrus, but the Cyrus DAC remains active even with an external one plugged in so I would have two flavours depending on my mood.
Won't happen anytime soom though, just ordered a Woo6se
icon10.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:34 PM Post #54 of 60
I must be in the minority here...I love my naim and haven't heard anything else that I like remotely as much. That being said...I don't care for their speakers.

Oct 30, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by ruknd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must be in the minority here...I love my naim and haven't heard anything else that I like remotely as much. That being said...I don't care for their speakers.

i had an all Naim system powering Intros. i agree with you regraging their speakers, especially when partnered with with the 5x series. the 5X series sounds great with JM Reynaud speakers though. i sold it all off for a Benchmark DAC1/Krell/ATC. i'm now DIYing possible replacements.

i would still love to hear this DAC.

Dec 6, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #56 of 60
Any updates on the NAIM DAC ? The claim re 'zero SPDIF jitter' is a bit hard to accept, but its arguably the digital bugbear that Head-Fiers obsess over above all else : might as well hear from someone who has experienced 'zero jitter' firsthand !

Dec 6, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #57 of 60
Still yet to be released in the wild.

I have heard a proto type and sounded good using a bare X2-2 and HDX. ( with and without 555PS )
Haven't played around with it but got the feeling that it had a different presentation from their CD players.

Dec 6, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #58 of 60
Thanks for the update Kuma - that sounds like a fairly expensive rig for the prototype, but nothing from Naim comes cheaply
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #60 of 60
It would be a good idea to track down a dealer who can demo both units for you as Linn and Naim have a very differnet house sound. The opinion seems to be polarised.

I prefer a Naim digital source as I find Linn digital to be too laid back. YMMV.

Naim NDS sound wonderful in friend' rig but I haven't been able to home demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back