NAIM DAC V1 - No signal from Hiby R6 via SPDIF
Dec 18, 2019 at 5:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

hepcat11

Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been trying to use the COAX/SPDIF output on my Hiby R6 to feed a digital signal to the DAC V1. The signal cuts out quite a bit (and for long stretches of time), and it appears to be a problem with the NAIM.

I say this because I purchased a second cable and that did not fix the problem. Then I took the R6 and plugged it into my Schiit Bifrost and it worked just fine.

The NAIM shows "No Signal" on the display. I have previously used the NAIM with a SONOS Connect, PC, Mac, and AppleTV with no problems.

Anyone have any ideas? Is there some kind of signal strength issue on the DAP's digital output?

Thanks!
J.

Dec 22, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 2
Well, I think I figured it out.

It seems as if the RCA plug on the cables perhaps doesn't go deep enough into the DAC V1. I noticed another, "normal" COAX seems to sink in further. So I took the 3.5mm-to-RCA coaxial cable and put a RCA-to-BNC adapter in the path and connected it to the BNC input on the NAIM. And that seemed to fix it. Signal is flowing through to the DAC V1 just fine now. And that would seem to explain why there was sporadic signal problems before. Sometimes the plug would be deep enough, sometimes not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back