Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #286 of 695
Has anyone compared the Atom DAC/Amp combo to the MHA150 or the Brooklyn DAC+? I have the latter but have been itching to try something different to see if I've been missing anything.

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #287 of 695
Well I went an ordered an Expanse. The Meze Elite does appealing to me but something about having a very technical headphone on a fun setup seems like it might be best of both worlds. I’m also hoping it blocks a little bit of room noise. If I like it more than the Utopia, I’ll put those up for sale.
Hi there

I was wondering how you are finding the Expanse with the HE in comparison to the Utopias

I am looking to upgrade from my existing HD800s and the Utopia 2020s and Expanse are top of my shopping list - but I and am getting mixed messages as to their suitability as to pairing with the HE - with one dealer advising me that "The Naim certainly isn't a slouch at power with 1.5w at 16 ohms but the DCA headphones really do synergise better on high power/current amps" and hence didn't recommend the combination.

I would value your thoughts

Best wishes from a wet, dreary and politically chaotic London!

Oct 21, 2022 at 11:17 AM Post #288 of 695
Hi there

I was wondering how you are finding the Expanse with the HE in comparison to the Utopias

I am looking to upgrade from my existing HD800s and the Utopia 2020s and Expanse are top of my shopping list - but I and am getting mixed messages as to their suitability as to pairing with the HE - with one dealer advising me that "The Naim certainly isn't a slouch at power with 1.5w at 16 ohms but the DCA headphones really do synergise better on high power/current amps" and hence didn't recommend the combination.

I would value your thoughts

Best wishes from a wet, dreary and politically chaotic London!
The Naim Uniti HE drives the Stealth easily with headroom to spare. I'm sure it will drive the Expanse as easily as well.

Oct 21, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #289 of 695
The Naim Uniti HE drives the Stealth easily with headroom to spare. I'm sure it will drive the Expanse as easily as well.
Yeah, no issues with power on the Expanse. Only go to 60% power and everything is very dynamic and in control. I’ve heard the Expanse on other systems such as the DCS Lina stack and it didn’t do well. Lacked bass.

The Expanse are very clear and detailed and I think the HE goes well with it if wanting to put some fun into it. Still has amazing detail but you get the bass rhythm that Naim is known for. The Expanse sounded analytical out of the Hugo TT2 and wonderful out of some of the tube amp I heard at CaJam, especially the Woo WA23, but that’s starts to get pricey.

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #290 of 695
Anyone wants to chime in with their top-5 over-ear pairings with the Naim Uniti Atom HE? (And if not too much trouble also the used cable?) 😁😎

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #291 of 695
Anyone wants to chime in with their top-5 over-ear pairings with the Naim Uniti Atom HE? 😁😎
1. DCA Stealth (90% usage)
2. Meze Liric
3. Meze Empyrean
4. Focal Stellia
5. Mark Levinson 5909

I’ve found no bad pairings. The HE seems to follow the tuning of the headphone. Unlike the Schiit Folkvangr. :gs1000smile:

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #292 of 695
1. DCA Stealth (90% usage)
2. Meze Liric
3. Meze Empyrean
4. Focal Stellia
5. Mark Levinson 5909

I’ve found no bad pairings. The HE seems to follow the tuning of the headphone. Unlike the Schiit Folkvangr. :gs1000smile:

Hi Daniel, if not too much trouble, would you also be able to add the cable that you used? (Stock vs after market and material 😇)

Oct 25, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #293 of 695
Only used two pairs... I stopped after I bought the Elites

1. Meze Elite
2. Meze Empyrean

I currently use Lavricables Grand with Furutech Mini XLR & Aeco Rhodium 4 pin XLR. I also used the Meze Silver upgrade cable which is also very good.

@Daniel Johnston Interesting that you rate the DCA Stealth with the Atom HE. It's a headphone I've considered getting for a while but was always concerned it may sound lacking given it's demands for power.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #294 of 695
1. Expanse, stock cable XLR plug
2. Focal Utopia, Danacable Reference Furutech XLR plug (sold)

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #295 of 695
Hi Daniel, if not too much trouble, would you also be able to add the cable that you used? (Stock vs after market and material 😇)
Sure.

Stealth Vivo 4.4 balanced and 3.5 unbalanced (not a huge difference to me)
Liric Nordost Blue Heaven 1/4 inch
Empyrean Erzetich custom made silver plated copper XLR
Stellia stock XLR
5909 stock usb c to 3.5

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #296 of 695
Only used two pairs... I stopped after I bought the Elites

1. Meze Elite
2. Meze Empyrean

I currently use Lavricables Grand with Furutech Mini XLR & Aeco Rhodium 4 pin XLR. I also used the Meze Silver upgrade cable which is also very good.

@Daniel Johnston Interesting that you rate the DCA Stealth with the Atom HE. It's a headphone I've considered getting for a while but was always concerned it may sound lacking given its demands for power.
The Stealth is not nearly as hard to drive as some believe. HE drives them superbly. There is plenty of headroom to spare. I’ve run them off the Folkvangr, iBasso dx320 amp 12 and 13, Hugo 2, Woo WA8, and even the ifi go blu. All sources drive them loud enough to get to hearing damage territory. However, only the Hugo 2, iBasso with amp 12, and HE make them shine.

They are so clean and detailed. The sub bass is just perfect. A truly addictive sound. It’s the first time I’ve had that “holy schiit” moment in a very long time.

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #297 of 695
Works well with near everything I have owned outside of IeM

Lcd5 with stock cable

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #298 of 695
The Stealth is not nearly as hard to drive as some believe. HE drives them superbly. There is plenty of headroom to spare. I’ve run them off the Folkvangr, iBasso dx320 amp 12 and 13, Hugo 2, Woo WA8, and even the ifi go blu. All sources drive them loud enough to get to hearing damage territory. However, only the Hugo 2, iBasso with amp 12, and HE make them shine.

They are so clean and detailed. The sub bass is just perfect. A truly addictive sound. It’s the first time I’ve had that “holy schiit” moment in a very long time.
I’d imagine the Stealth has the same power requirements as the Expanse for the most part. The Expanse sounded best out of tube amps or the Naim HE. Think even better than some tube amps that were going for the clean almost non tubie sound. They sounded bad out of the DSC Lina stack. Actually worse I heard them. So it’s possible to get a bad match.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #299 of 695
I’d imagine the Stealth has the same power requirements as the Expanse for the most part. The Expanse sounded best out of tubes or the Naim HE. Think even better than some tubes that were going for the clean almost non tubie sound. They sounded bad out of the DSC Lina stack. Actually worse I heard them. So it’s possible to get a bad match.
Agreed. To clarify, the Woo was a bad match. It’ll drive them, but the bass distorts pretty easily.

Everything else (except for the amp12, Hugo 2, and HE) is pretty decent except for about 1-2% of music I listen to.

The response was more to show that the Stealth (and Expanse) don’t need arc welding levels of power to shine.

Oct 25, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #300 of 695
Agreed. To clarify, the Woo was a bad match. It’ll drive them, but the bass distorts pretty easily.

Everything else (except for the amp12, Hugo 2, and HE) is pretty decent except for about 1-2% of music I listen to.

The response was more to show that the Stealth (and Expanse) don’t need arc welding levels of power to shine.
Interesting that the woo was a bad match. I only tried the Expanse out of the WA33 for a few minutes and didn’t notice any issues but I also didn’t care for it. But I did find the new WA23 Lina to be the best I heard them. Best bass of all the systems with more slam and great gooey warmth.

Oh the woo you mention is the portable one. That drove the Meze Elite just fine but I’d imagine the hard to drive Expanse and Stealth would be a bit much.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back