Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Oct 24, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #166 of 695
There was a review of the non HE Atom over at HiFi World. Noel Keywords’ measurements are usually reliable, and he described the Atom’s DAC as ‘budget’ in terms of measured performance by today’s standards. The actual review of the sonics WAS favourable though. Naim does like to do it’s own thing rather than go for measurements as God in terms of DAC design, so it might benefit from an audition first to see if it’s to your liking. Certainly seems very popular.
Thanks, I'll check it out. However I already bought it, so I'll have to see when I get it. It was kinda hard to find an all in one streamer/DAC with solid specs, my only other option was the matrix Sabre 3 but it was more expensive and had fewer functions than the Atom. Hopefully it wont sound too bad.

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #167 of 695
There was a review of the non HE Atom over at HiFi World. Noel Keywords’ measurements are usually reliable, and he described the Atom’s DAC as ‘budget’ in terms of measured performance by today’s standards. The actual review of the sonics WAS favourable though. Naim does like to do it’s own thing rather than go for measurements as God in terms of DAC design, so it might benefit from an audition first to see if it’s to your liking. Certainly seems very popular.

Do you have a link to this article?

And yes, I had the Chord Dave/mscaler before, and I find I like the Naim He better with the Focal Utopia’s for overall enjoyment. Sure the Chord setup is mighty impressive especially on certain albums but for just sitting back and letter the music wash over you, I prefer the Naim.

I would definitely let the Naim burn in for a while before making final judgment. I wasn’t that impressed with sound in the first week.

Oct 24, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #168 of 695
Also I'll be pairing the Naim with a great amp, the Enleum 23R, which should make everything sound even better...

Oct 25, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #169 of 695
Also I'll be pairing the Naim with a great amp, the Enleum 23R, which should make everything sound even better...
I think you'll really enjoy that pairing. I had the Atom HE for over a month, and though I ultimately returned it for refund, using it as a DAC/Preamp, IMHO, most definitely showed it in its best light. Unfortunately I purchased it ONLY to use it in my 2nd system as a true all-in-one, but the internal headphone amp wasn't to my liking. That and the Naim app had faults that I couldn't live with. That said, if I could have used it only as a preamp...it was so good that I would have fought through the app issues, and kept the unit anyway.

My $.02

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #170 of 695
I think you'll really enjoy that pairing. I had the Atom HE for over a month, and though I ultimately returned it for refund, using it as a DAC/Preamp, IMHO, most definitely showed it in its best light. Unfortunately I purchased it ONLY to use it in my 2nd system as a true all-in-one, but the internal headphone amp wasn't to my liking. That and the Naim app had faults that I couldn't live with. That said, if I could have used it only as a preamp...it was so good that I would have fought through the app issues, and kept the unit anyway.

My $.02

Yeah I’m not a fan of the Naim app especially if trying to play Qobuz thru it. I’d recommend just using roon, Tidal Connect or Airplay or Chromecast connection and use the native app instead of Naim. Qobuz is too laggy on Naim app. And I mentioned I wasn’t that impressed with headphone amp when first got it but now t really opened up and sounds excellent now.

Oct 25, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #171 of 695
thanks for all the impressions, very useful. Will try it when I get as both an amp and a preamp and decide how I like it best...

Oct 25, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #172 of 695
I have a brand new Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition for my living room. The Naim unit has an XLR input in addition to the 1/4" standard. My cables - which I paid a ton for - all terminate with a 1/4" plug, which is what I needed for my existing amps.

Two questions:
  1. Is it worth trying to get my headphones (Focal Utopia; ZMF VC; Sennheiser HD800S) to work with an XLR input? Will the sound quality improve to any degree?
  2. If so, will all the money I spent on cables be ruined by that last couple of inches of adapter such as: https://www.amazon.com/Devinal-Upgraded-Gold-Plated-Connector-Converter/dp/B095X6Q7LZ/ref=asc_df_B095X6Q7LZ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676785695792&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276310991024&psc=1 2
I could certainly order a custom connector from ZMF, for example, but since my Focal cable is Silver/Copper and my ZMF has a Copper cable, what would I use for the adapter (or would I get different ones to go with the different cable types)?

Could use some advice!

Oct 25, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #173 of 695
I have a brand new Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition for my living room. The Naim unit has an XLR input in addition to the 1/4" standard. My cables - which I paid a ton for - all terminate with a 1/4" plug, which is what I needed for my existing amps.

Two questions:
  1. Is it worth trying to get my headphones (Focal Utopia; ZMF VC; Sennheiser HD800S) to work with an XLR input? Will the sound quality improve to any degree?
  2. If so, will all the money I spent on cables be ruined by that last couple of inches of adapter such as: https://www.amazon.com/Devinal-Upgraded-Gold-Plated-Connector-Converter/dp/B095X6Q7LZ/ref=asc_df_B095X6Q7LZ?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=80676785695792&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276310991024&psc=1 2
I could certainly order a custom connector from ZMF, for example, but since my Focal cable is Silver/Copper and my ZMF has a Copper cable, what would I use for the adapter (or would I get different ones to go with the different cable types)?

Could use some advice!

I believe you’d be better just sticking with the 1/4 connector than adapter. You won’t get balanced anyway. You have to have your cables reterminated for true balanced. I sent my Danacable cable back and paid some money to get this done. Now I think if you ever wanted to use the balanced cable on a single ended amp, then an adapter is ok, not the other way around.

Oct 26, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #174 of 695
I believe you’d be better just sticking with the 1/4 connector than adapter. You won’t get balanced anyway. You have to have your cables reterminated for true balanced. I sent my Danacable cable back and paid some money to get this done. Now I think if you ever wanted to use the balanced cable on a single ended amp, then an adapter is ok, not the other way around.
Thanks - yes, your advice is what literally everyone is telling me!

Oct 26, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #175 of 695
So what I’ve read is all the headphone outs are volume matched unlike some other amps where the balanced will need to be adjusted down. I suppose this would allow you connect more than one headphone with similar specs and be able to listen at same time.

Generally balanced outputs have more power, better separation, and no cross talk. Chord will argue that single ended is better because it’s harder to get balanced done right. And others will argue balanced doesn’t even make sense for headphones because it’s such a short cable run. But you also have people tell you less than 10 feet of cable shouldn’t sound different either.

I have no way of personally testing whether Naim HE improves using balanced since my stock cable is single ended and the balanced is a Danacable. So balanced sounds better but if had same Danacable single ended, would I be able to tell?

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #177 of 695
Dangerous ground here.
I run an assortment of cables acquired in an effort to maximize my musical experience and answer the same questions with each of my amps. My best effort is to run balanced to the amp then use a balanced to 1/4 inch adapter to the SE output of the same amp. Keeping other elements of the chain the same... On the Atom HE, or my others, regardless of headphone, I can't claim anything more than a fleeting difference at best. Might be I have too easy to drive cans, insensitive ears, or the difference is too little to matter. When I have added balanced cables I have done so with other functional considerations in mind like length, microphonics, ease of use, and added overall enjoyment in using the gear. Only way for you to know is to try it with your ears and your kit.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #178 of 695
If the Atom HE was fully balanced from its inputs thru to its outputs, then it would be worthwhile to use the balanced headphone output around the back of the unit. I don't believe it is though, so think of that output's existence as a mere convenience (if you can even call having to connect a headphone to the back of a component, a convenience), as opposed to a sonic advantage over the single ended output.

The only way to find out for sure, is to try them both out. But I sure wouldn't be spending good money to re-cable in order to use the "balanced" out in this particular instance.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #179 of 695
If the Atom HE was fully balanced from its inputs thru to its outputs, then it would be worthwhile to use the balanced headphone output around the back of the unit. I don't believe it is though, so think of that output's existence as a mere convenience (if you can even call having to connect a headphone to the back of a component, a convenience), as opposed to a sonic advantage over the single ended output.

The only way to find out for sure, is to try them both out. But I sure wouldn't be spending good money to re-cable in order to use the "balanced" out in this particular instance.

It was my understanding the Naim HE had true balanced headphone output and same for its preamp. Not like how the Chord TT2 is single ended wired into XLR output for more power. I know for sure the Focal Arche was 2 mono setting dacs used for true balanced.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #180 of 695
It was my understanding the Naim HE had true balanced headphone output and same for its preamp. Not like how the Chord TT2 is single ended wired into XLR output for more power. I know for sure the Focal Arche was 2 mono setting dacs used for true balanced.
I'd love for my hunch to be proven wrong, but it's nowhere in their literature, or anywhere in their discussion about it. This is definitely something a manufacturer would want to sing the praises of as a selling point. Certainly not a breaking point, but I simply noted it for those that mentioned mulling over spending serious money on new cables in order to take advantage of a connection that in this case, may or may not have any sonic advantage over the 1/4" socket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back