Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
Aug 30, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #76 of 686
The Atom HE has auto sleep timer by default. Are you saying it would be best to shut that off? And have the display go to sleep? I would think they wouldn’t have set the timer by default if best to be always on.

There is no actual on/off switch in the back like the Chord Dave had. That posted on and then had remote power button that out it to sleep. Heard that was fine to put to sleep with no sound need to warm up.
Sleep is different from a full power down so perhaps with the new Uniti range sleep mode is sufficient to keep the sound from going off. I know Naim is trying to be more green so the newer boxes may not be as demanding as the Classic line.

As for turning the display on and off it is a known fact that on the classic pre’s such as 252 snd 552 it is easy to demonstrate things sounding better if the display is turned off.

May be worth a post on the Naim forum to inquire about these two issues.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #77 of 686
I enjoyed the original Hugo for its warm, organic sound and got hooked on the Chord sound. But when I upgraded to the Hugo 2, it was a big jump in resolution and soundstage, but at the cost of the warm organic sound.

I experienced exactly the same thing too when I went from Hugo to Hugo 2. I subjectively preferred a little more warmth and meat on the bones to outright resolution. I got lambasted on the TT2 forum here actually for mentioning that I found TT2 a *little* lean compared to TT (as if we're not allowed personal opinions or preferences!), though it was mightily impressive in other areas. I do enjoy TT very much, but think I'm at the point where I'd gladly sacrifice a little inner resolution for something that is perhaps less technically accurate, but rocks hard! Sounds like other than the omission of a pure analogue input, it ticks all the boxes for me. And the analogue input I can get by running it into a pre when needed (when spinning some vinyl).

I *think* I'm going to email the dealer tomorrow about doing this part-exchange. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Aug 30, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #78 of 686
I experienced exactly the same thing too when I went from Hugo to Hugo 2. I subjectively preferred a little more warmth and meat on the bones to outright resolution. I got lambasted on the TT2 forum here actually for mentioning that I found TT2 a *little* lean compared to TT (as if we're not allowed personal opinions or preferences!), though it was mightily impressive in other areas. I do enjoy TT very much, but think I'm at the point where I'd gladly sacrifice a little inner resolution for something that is perhaps less technically accurate, but rocks hard! Sounds like other than the omission of a pure analogue input, it ticks all the boxes for me. And the analogue input I can get by running it into a pre when needed (when spinning some vinyl).

I *think* I'm going to email the dealer tomorrow about doing this part-exchange. Thanks again for your helpful comments.

Not sure if it’s been stated here but the reason they convert analog input to digital is for this to work with their other players and allow streaming to multiple units.

I’m sure the HE sounds great with other genres but I’ve mostly listen to rock type stuff. I want to be able to feel the drums. One could argue that maybe the Utopia wasn’t the right choice for me but with the HE, it has perfect amount of bass, slam, texture, and bloom for that touch of warmth. I also love the quickness of the headphones and that seems to be no matter what the source is. Bass and warmth seem to be the most affected by different amps.

All my impressions are with the Danacable Lazuli Reference with balanced cable. I’ve mentioned in other threads that this cable has more effect on the sound than different amps. This is as far as clarity and tone go. It lets whatever you have hooked up to it shine. Without the cable, the Utopia are still wonderful but just missing the tubelike richness in the mids. I used in single ended mode when I had the Chord dacs and refitted balanced when I bought the Focal Arche.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #79 of 686
Sleep is different from a full power down so perhaps with the new Uniti range sleep mode is sufficient to keep the sound from going off. I know Naim is trying to be more green so the newer boxes may not be as demanding as the Classic line.

As for turning the display on and off it is a known fact that on the classic pre’s such as 252 snd 552 it is easy to demonstrate things sounding better if the display is turned off.

May be worth a post on the Naim forum to inquire about these two issues.

In quick test I didn’t notice any difference in sound with display off so I’m going to leave it on. It was one of the reasons I wanted it. Nice to see the album art displayed. I’m hoping in next update allow to have track info always shown as an option. Have to wave hand in front or press button to see that info. Even changing track with remote doesn’t show it again. It least should be shown again when doing that.

Aug 31, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #80 of 686
One thing that annoys me if you have a long list of albums on a hard drive and after you have played the album, instead of it returning to album listings it returns to the home page (at the moment it lasts for about 30 secs). This very annoying if you don't have a tablet or phone at hand and you just have the remote and you have scroll through all the listings again (this applies to the NDX2 and other streamers). My Cambridge CNX V2 goes back to previous page so i'm sure Naim could do this with a firmware update. I did put a request in their suggestion thread in their forum, so time will tell.

Aug 31, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #81 of 686
Could you give your opinion on the sound qualities of the CXN (or any other Cambridge streamer you may have heard) vs the Naim? Cambridge is much cheaper (even relatively speaking) to most other brands around here, and much easier to find.

Aug 31, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #83 of 686
modern streamers are not made to use it with remote except skipping a song maybe

That’s one of the things I love about the Naim HE remote. It works playback and volume. It’s has a nice weight to it and is backlit when you pick it up. The Chord Dave remote felt cheap and lightweight. Since it wasn’t a streamer, I needed to open roon app just to pause or skip tracks. The Naim also automatically comes out of standby whenever you queue up music. Don’t have to worry about power on or off. With Spotify Connect the iPhone volume buttons control the volume of the Naim nicely one unit at a time. For some reason AirPlay skips 6 units at a time which is way too much. And I wish roon would somehow figure out how to integrate volume into the iPhone volume buttons as well.

Aug 31, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #84 of 686
That’s one of the things I love about the Naim HE remote. It works playback and volume. It’s has a nice weight to it and is backlit when you pick it up. The Chord Dave remote felt cheap and lightweight. Since it wasn’t a streamer, I needed to open roon app just to pause or skip tracks. The Naim also automatically comes out of standby whenever you queue up music. Don’t have to worry about power on or off. With Spotify Connect the iPhone volume buttons control the volume of the Naim nicely one unit at a time. For some reason AirPlay skips 6 units at a time which is way too much. And I wish roon would somehow figure out how to integrate volume into the iPhone volume buttons as well.
i don't know about the atom remote but ND555 remote is very nice, I never use it tough...

ı am very tempted by atom HE as a second unit for headphone use

i have brysten headphone amp connected to my main stereo than I use with both CD player and naim streamer but it does not have volume control and it is annoying.

Atom HE is a perfect second unit.... not necessary one but very nice

Sep 1, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #85 of 686
Could you give your opinion on the sound qualities of the CXN (or any other Cambridge streamer you may have heard) vs the Naim? Cambridge is much cheaper (even relatively speaking) to most other brands around here, and much easier to find.
The Cambridge isn't in the same league as the Naim as you would expect for the price, but is excellent value for the money. Lots of magazines gave it 5 star awards.

Sep 6, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #86 of 686
I'm really impressed by the HE sound, even when using it with my Focal Elear. It will be interesting how well it sounds with the DC Stealth when it finally arrives.
Would love to get your impressions on the DC Stealth + HE combo once you get it! I’ve been planning to pair those two as well later down the line.

Sep 8, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #87 of 686
Yes kindly post your impression of the dca stealth and he. No more stock of dca stealth according to my dealer have to wait another 30 to 60days. 😅

Sep 9, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #88 of 686
So one of the things I really like about the Naim HE is bad recording don’t sound worse. With the Chord Dave and mscaler, it didn’t improve bad recordings. Now maybe it was more true to the recording but I still couldn’t listen to some of my music without it sounding harsh and thin.

Hüsker Dü Warehouse: Songs and Stories was just unlistenable with the Chord setup and Focal Utopia. With the Naim HE, it’s like the first time I’ve really enjoyed this album. Somehow the Naim brings out the best in a recording. Mostly has to do with excellent way it portrays the bass and drums. Great weight and warmth.

Sep 10, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #89 of 686
So one of the things I really like about the Naim HE is bad recording don’t sound worse. With the Chord Dave and mscaler, it didn’t improve bad recordings. Now maybe it was more true to the recording but I still couldn’t listen to some of my music without it sounding harsh and thin.

Hüsker Dü Warehouse: Songs and Stories was just unlistenable with the Chord setup and Focal Utopia. With the Naim HE, it’s like the first time I’ve really enjoyed this album. Somehow the Naim brings out the best in a recording. Mostly has to do with excellent way it portrays the bass and drums. Great weight and warmth.
Gotta agree with you. I've been using it with the stellia for more than a month and been. The fast bass and accuracy is so pinpoint making the music"music" critical listening is. there but you tend to enjoy music and just sit back and relax. I don't know if it's the naim or stellia but i tend to find the mids alittle recess. How is your experience with mids ans vocals?

Sep 10, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #90 of 686
Naim was a serious contender for a music server for myself. But like bartok, i like that folks are offering all in ones more and more. Have been a separate kinda a guy as you see in my sig, but the industry is evolving in this regard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back