Naim Audio Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
May 11, 2021 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 695

lumdicks

500+ Head-Fier
Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 695
Here, too, the headamp specs are a little disappointing.

Will likely be a great AIO for most.

May 11, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 695
Well, I am ready to give if the benefit of the doubt.. For now.. The concept of an AIO really resonates with me, especially one as good looking as this one. If Naim would consider a Loaner program, I am ready to put it through its paces and review it. 😎🔥

May 12, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #5 of 695
May 12, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #6 of 695
Not many have commented directly on the Sound quality or comparisons. Most have described at length the streaming capabilities.

The one or two opinions I have received are that it sounds “very good” for the price point and typical of the Naim house sound. But soundstage and detail are not Summit level if that’s what you’re looking for.

May 18, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #7 of 695
Not many have commented directly on the Sound quality or comparisons. Most have described at length the streaming capabilities.

The one or two opinions I have received are that it sounds “very good” for the price point and typical of the Naim house sound. But soundstage and detail are not Summit level if that’s what you’re looking for.
Based on your signature, it seems you've ordered an Uniti Atom HE? Curious to hear your opinions on the sound quality.

May 18, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 695
Today we look at the Naim Uniti Atom on Headfonia. According to @Mightygrey it's one of the very best all-in-one units on the market. A recommended buy!

Naim Uniti Atom HE.jpg

https://www.headfonia.com/naim-uniti-atom-headphone-edition-review/

May 25, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 695
Based on your signature, it seems you've ordered an Uniti Atom HE? Curious to hear your opinions on the sound quality.

It's a fantastic unit.

The reviews so far are pretty spot on.

First impressions from a brand new unit with a HD800S.

1. It is not a mini-Bartok. Yes, it is an all in one. But the Bartok is in another whole different league. Its like comparing a $300 bottle of wine with a $3000 bottle of wine. Yes, they're both very, very good but there are nuances, complexity and detail that the higher price tier takes you.
2. Set-up and unboxing very easy. Minutes. Build quality is typical Naim. If you're familiar with the Atom, that's it.
3. Plenty of power to drive the HD800S to satisfaction. There's no issue with dynamics or adequate power. On Naim's community forum, they tested this amp thoroughly pre-release.
4. Sound would be in line with a Class A , solid state amp. Incisive neutral but towards a warmer edge. Not as warm as the Cayin C9 though. The tonality is integrated very well together i.e. no unpleasant significant coloration or faults to my ears. The presentation is enjoyable.
Soundstage, detail - width, depth, layering, transparency are at the upper end of mid-tier level. i.e. >95% of people will find it's just fine. I'm going to arbitrarily define mid-tier as not Chord TT2 or arbitrarily not something in the summit-fi forum. If you think the Focal Clear are the bees knees, you're going to be okay. If you're the Susvara out of the TT2/Mscaler or Bartok owner, then a $3000 all in one isn't going to be your primary unit. However, it would be fabulous secondary unit. It is superior to the Simaudio Moon 230HAD.
6. Initial impressions with the HD800S were that the 2Go/Hugo2 would be non-inferior especially if paired to the Cayin C9 or a decent amp. One is a portable unit with all the flaws. However, a 2Go/Hugo2->CayinC9 set-up costs more than the Naim does.
7. Minor annoyance, I have to reach to the unit and press the headphone button when I plug in 4-pin XLR as there is no automatic recognition on a 4-Pin XLR jack that I've plugged it in.
8. Not every headphone amp agrees with every headphone. However, I've found the Naim sound signature to be pleasant on both the Utopia and the HD800S so far. If you're an owner of both, you will be very happy.

I like it. That's what matters.

Will have to spend more time with it tonight. Plugging the Empyreans in. Have a grumpy baby so it'll have to wait for now.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #11 of 695
It's a fantastic unit.

The reviews so far are pretty spot on.

First impressions from a brand new unit with a HD800S.

1. It is not a mini-Bartok. Yes, it is an all in one. But the Bartok is in another whole different league. Its like comparing a $300 bottle of wine with a $3000 bottle of wine. Yes, they're both very, very good but there are nuances, complexity and detail that the higher price tier takes you.
2. Set-up and unboxing very easy. Minutes. Build quality is typical Naim. If you're familiar with the Atom, that's it.
3. Plenty of power to drive the HD800S to satisfaction. There's no issue with dynamics or adequate power. On Naim's community forum, they tested this amp thoroughly pre-release.
4. Sound would be in line with a Class A amp, solid state amp. Incisive neutral but towards a warmer edge. Not as warm as the Cayin C9 though. The tonality is integrated very well together i.e. no unpleasant significant coloration or faults to my ears. The presentation is enjoyable.
Soundstage, detail - width, depth, layering, transparency are mid-tier level. i.e. >95% of people will find it's just fine. If you think the Focal Clear are the bees knees, you're going to be okay. If you're the Susvara out of the TT2/Mscaler or Bartok owner, then a $3000 all in one isn't going to be your primary unit. However, it would be fabulous secondary unit. It is superior to the Simaudio Moon 230HAD.
6. Initial impressions with the HD800S were that the 2Go/Hugo2 would be non-inferior especially if paired to the Cayin C9 or a decent amp. One is a portable unit with all the flaws. However, a 2Go/Hugo2->CayinC9 set-up costs more than the Naim does.

I like it. That's what matters.

Will have to spend more time with it tonight. Plugging the Empyreans in. Have a grumpy baby so it'll have to wait for now.

Thanks for sharing your impressions! Mine go delivered today. I'll share my impressions after a few days of listening.

May 25, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 695
And ... I'm impressed how this unit pairs well with most any headphone.

The Empyrean (with the Silver plated Meze cable upgrade to 4 pin XLR) ... also sound the best I've ever heard them.

May 25, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #13 of 695
Tempting to get it as my secondary setup at bedside...............

May 25, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #14 of 695
Tempting to get it as my secondary setup at bedside...............
Do it. It's not going to be as good at detail retrieval, nor as wide in soundstage as your TT2/Mscaler but for musicality, it's perfectly acceptable.

And perfectly acceptable for most of us means it's actually damned good. I haven't noticed any glaring faults in the 1-2 hours I've listened to it. Early impressions. But first impressions are positive so are unlikely to change.

May 25, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 695
Do it. It's not going to be as good at detail retrieval, nor as wide in soundstage as your TT2/Mscaler but for musicality, it's perfectly acceptable.

And perfectly acceptable for most of us means it's actually damned good. I haven't noticed any glaring faults in the 1-2 hours I've listened to it. Early impressions. But first impressions are positive so are unlikely to change.
But then I think I will not be willing to sleep...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back