NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Feb 22, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #2,912 of 3,345
I had mine for over 6 months now. Love the sound, no big comfort issues and they look reasonably good on my larger than average head. Getting a good seal is a different story, is there a good known easy mod to get a better seal at the bottom behind the ears as that's where the leak is?

Feb 23, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #2,914 of 3,345
  Try this thread - I also find the enclosures don’t pivot enough downward to seal at the bottom...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/757190/nad-viso-hp50-mods

Thanks, hopefully it will do it. At one point I contacted NAD support asked them to produce optional thicker replacement pads, they said they noted my request in their system, but I'm not holding my breath I will see them starting making them anytime soon.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,915 of 3,345
It took me a year, but I finally understood how brilliant these headphones are. They are good because they do a lot of genres well. Whereas the msr7 kicks the NAD Viso's ass in acoustic (especially acustic guitar heavy) music, the highs are too high with certain female vocals (think Goldfrapp). While not terribly engaging, they are extremely refined, smooth and relaxing. I've owned MSR7, Beyerdynamic DT770, Phillips SHP9500, M50x, m50x and these and I can say that certain headphones do a better job in specific tasks but none dominates this headphone.

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #2,917 of 3,345
Did anyone listen to both mdr1a and hp50 before? Which one is better?

i have the hp50, tested the sony before buying the nad. the sony is more comfy, and that's it. sound wise i preferred the hp50 by a country mile: separation, frequency response, isolation, imaging were all closer to my preferences.

ymmv of course, and the sony is not bad either.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #2,918 of 3,345
i have the hp50, tested the sony before buying the nad. the sony is more comfy, and that's it. sound wise i preferred the hp50 by a country mile: separation, frequency response, isolation, imaging were all closer to my preferences.

ymmv of course, and the sony is not bad either.

I completely agree. I owned the Sony before the NAD. It is like a more boring version of the HP50, and yes it is more comfortable, but that's about it.

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #2,919 of 3,345
Hi,

I used be own a pair of the HP-50 but sold them due to comfort issues. If the NADs are as comfy as the SONYs (1A, etc), I would have never sold them, as I really liked their sound. However, as much as I liked them, it literally hurts my ear and face after 1+ hour of listening (The drivers were pressing my ears. Had the ear pad be just a bit thicker or firmer, this would have been avoided).

However, I do miss the sound of the HP-50 quite a bit, and I am wondering if anyone could recommend me anything that sounded close to its sound signature? I'm not good at describing sound signatures, but I guess I liked its sound stage, and the vocals just made me sink in... Also, the highs was beautiful (I owned the PSB M4U1 prior to the NAD, and found the highs more refined on the NAD. Never "edgy" in comparison). Oh, I also appreciate the fact that they are closed.

The few headphones I've tried/ owned (so they can be ruled out first :) ): B&W P5, Sennheiser momentum, M2, PSB M4U1

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #2,920 of 3,345
  Hi,

I used be own a pair of the HP-50 but sold them due to comfort issues. If the NADs are as comfy as the SONYs (1A, etc), I would have never sold them, as I really liked their sound. However, as much as I liked them, it literally hurts my ear and face after 1+ hour of listening (The drivers were pressing my ears. Had the ear pad be just a bit thicker or firmer, this would have been avoided).

However, I do miss the sound of the HP-50 quite a bit, and I am wondering if anyone could recommend me anything that sounded close to its sound signature? I'm not good at describing sound signatures, but I guess I liked its sound stage, and the vocals just made me sink in... Also, the highs was beautiful (I owned the PSB M4U1 prior to the NAD, and found the highs more refined on the NAD. Never "edgy" in comparison). Oh, I also appreciate the fact that they are closed.

The few headphones I've tried/ owned (so they can be ruled out first :) ): B&W P5, Sennheiser momentum, M2, PSB M4U1

Thanks!

you might like the meze 99 classics. i haven't heard those yet, but i read from a trustworthy former hp50 owner that their character is similar and the meze's also have a similar soundstage to the hp50s. also, there's a new, slightly cheaper version of the 99, called 99 neo, supposed to sound the way the 99 classics do.

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #2,921 of 3,345
  you might like the meze 99 classics. i haven't heard those yet, but i read from a trustworthy former hp50 owner that their character is similar and the meze's also have a similar soundstage to the hp50s. also, there's a new, slightly cheaper version of the 99, called 99 neo, supposed to sound the way the 99 classics do.

Hi,

Thank you for the tip! I know little about headphone brands, and I'll definitely look into the mezes, which is new to me!

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #2,922 of 3,345
Hi,

Thank you for the tip! I know little about headphone brands, and I'll definitely look into the mezes, which is new to me!

Have you looked into changing the pads on a pair of HP50? I have had the Viso on my radar since they were released but I've read a lot about their comfort issues. Which is a bummer because I understand they sound very nice. Maybe look into if the pads can be upgraded to much thicker more comfortable ones. ZReviews swaps pads on almost all his cans so there my be hope in you getting another pair & finding pads that don't cause pain/discomfort.....just a thought :)

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #2,923 of 3,345
Have you looked into changing the pads on a pair of HP50? I have had the Viso on my radar since they were released but I've read a lot about their comfort issues. Which is a bummer because I understand they sound very nice. Maybe look into if the pads can be upgraded to much thicker more comfortable ones. ZReviews swaps pads on almost all his cans so there my be hope in you getting another pair & finding pads that don't cause pain/discomfort.....just a thought
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi,

Gosh, I just read about threads about modding the ear pads, but I've already sold mine! I would have definitely tried modding the pads had I known it worked!

I think I'll look into the Meze, or if another pair of HP50 came across at the right price, I might buy them again. Wish I hadn't sold them though!

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:57 PM Post #2,924 of 3,345
I tried the Brainwavz HM-5 pleathor pads on the HP50.  They sounded awful...just completely washed out the low end.

I sold my HP50 due to comfort issues and the fact I couldn't stand the adjustment system, which telegraphed noise into the cups every time I shifted around in my chair.

Apr 25, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2,925 of 3,345
  Hi,

Gosh, I just read about threads about modding the ear pads, but I've already sold mine! I would have definitely tried modding the pads had I known it worked!

I think I'll look into the Meze, or if another pair of HP50 came across at the right price, I might buy them again. Wish I hadn't sold them though!

I too have comfort issues with the HP50. I have not used them at all for several months now.  The most comfortable headphones that I own are my Sennheiser 598 SE followed by (in no particular order) Shure 1840,  Audioquest Nighthawk(original), and Beoplay H6.  The first three are open.  The Beoplay are closed. They all sound great. I highly recommend the Beoplays if you need a closed pair.  My Shures are new (arrived yesterday) and I am loving them.  They (and the Nighthawks) are more expensive though. I ordered the Shures after listening for a few hours to my husband's 1540s which are closed.  I wanted an open pair and I never get the same exact phone that he already has :)  Plus, he wouldn't give his to me, lol.

My complete headphone list is in my profile.  I see that you are considering the Mezes.  My husband has a pair and I have tried them.  They were uncomfortable to me but he likes them.  I have problems with phones that have too much clamp (for me).  The clamp and the feel of the pads were the problems for me with the HP50. The headband was fine... some people don't like it.

I did try the Brainwavz HM-5 pads on the HP50 and as Kerry56 said, the sound was completely ruined.  Horrible. Looked pretty bad too.  I would not suggest buying another HP50 just to try different pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back