NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jun 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #2,116 of 3,345
  I want to order them from Amazon, but apparantly I need a credit card to order them? Is there not an option out there to buy them with Paypal?

Sadly amazon doesnt do paypal
frown.gif
A lot of banks offer bankcards that function like a credit card but still draw money out of your savings. Perhaps you could look into that?

Jun 22, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #2,117 of 3,345
Yes they are quite cheap, but this is not normal. You can try other 1/8 cables and see, they can be picked up off amazon for $5. Also, as Chailee mentioned, make sure you are pushing it in all the way, that can be a problem with some of these cans, though I haven't had it personally with the NADs, I did with my UE6000s.

Thanks! So, putting it in with a bit more 'oomph' has done the trick with the plain cord. However, the one with the microphone is a different story.

With that one, if I plug the cable in as far as she goes, I only get sound in one ear. In order to get stereo, I have to loosen the connection at the ear cup by a few millimetres before I hear sound in both ears.

Obviously, this isn't a LT fix, and eventually the sound cuts out when the cord loosens up too much.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:49 AM Post #2,118 of 3,345
Thanks! So, putting it in with a bit more 'oomph' has done the trick with the plain cord. However, the one with the microphone is a different story.

With that one, if I plug the cable in as far as she goes, I only get sound in one ear. In order to get stereo, I have to loosen the connection at the ear cup by a few millimetres before I hear sound in both ears.

Obviously, this isn't a LT fix, and eventually the sound cuts out when the cord loosens up too much.

Does this happen on both sides? If so, you probably have a bad cable. Contact NAD and have them replace it since it's nice to have the apple cable. If it persists through a replacement cable, then you probably have a problem with the cans themselves. They should replace them for you if that is the case.

Jun 23, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #2,119 of 3,345

Are you plugging the right end into the headphones?
I think, though I have not looked in over a year (I tossed the MIC cable in the box and put it away when I unboxed the headphones), that the cable with the microphone has a TRRS connector on one end and TRS on the other. The TRS end goes into the headphone... the other end into a phone.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2,123 of 3,345
The products available for International shipping are such a strange subset of the domestic products. Good point
frown.gif

You'll probably want to start at NAD's site:

http://nadelectronics.com/distributors

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,125 of 3,345
So this is the only deal on Ebay I can afford to pay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-ELECTRONICS-VISO-Model-HP50-Noise-Isolating-Over-Ear-Headphones-/252004251224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac9fb658

Do you guys think the earpads look a bit TOO used, which may affect sound?

Jun 24, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #2,126 of 3,345
  So this is the only deal on Ebay I can afford to pay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAD-ELECTRONICS-VISO-Model-HP50-Noise-Isolating-Over-Ear-Headphones-/252004251224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aac9fb658

Do you guys think the earpads look a bit TOO used, which may affect sound?

I can't exactly tell even when I zoom in. sorry.
It looks decent.

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #2,127 of 3,345
Does anyone know if Brainwavz pads will fit the HP50?

According to this article, they DO!

http://www.cnet.com/news/the-20-headphone-makeover/

I'm REALLY wanting better pads for the HP50. I wonder if the Brainwavz pads change the bass response at all? Or if they will want to slip off of the body of the NADs. Amazon says the HM5 pads are 11 cm x 9 cm x 3 cm (for the deep ones). My ruler says the HP50 pads are roughly 10.3 cm x 7 cm x 1.7 cm.

I'm tempted to order them.

Brian.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #2,128 of 3,345
The shock cord (bungee cord) is available at Mountain Equipment Coop (my local outdoors supplier).

I cut two 8" (205mm) lengths. Make a circle, and tuck it under the pads.

I used some shrink wrap tubing to hold the ends together, but that is not essential.

Any 1/4" cable will do, but the shock cord has a nice soft feel.

Following Peter's advice, I decided to try this mod. I was shopping for tools at Sears and there was a dollar store right next to it, so I went to see if they had any bungie (shock) cord. What I found were these things that I think are for tying down tarps or something: A length of bungie in a circle with a plastic ball at the end. Here's a picture of one.

They were super cheap: $0.20 each, so I bought two. I cut the knot out of the cord inside the ball, then cut one length to about 9 inches, which seemed right. Well, I should have listened to Peter: 9 inches was too big; so I cut it down to 8 and that worked much better. I secured the ends together with some painter's tape. I love that stuff.

I tried just "tucking it in", but that didn't work for me. I had to remove the ear pad, put the bungie spacer on top of the ear cup body, and then put the pad on over that. It took a lot of wiggling and tucking for me. Not real bad, but it took a couple of minutes per side. One side was more stubborn than the other.

Results? So far I've got around 4 hours of on-ear time and I haven't gotten sore ears yet. Previously I'd get sore ears after about an hour of continuous listening. I think I've done at least 1.5 hours in a single session and like I said... no soreness. They aren't much more comfortable overall. They still clamp a bit too hard and the cushioning of the pads is just ok. But it's a big difference for me to not be getting sore ears. So I'd call this very successful.

Time will tell if the comfort lasts through longer listening sessions or not. Here's hoping it does. Though I'm still tempted to order the Brainwavz HM-5 pads to see what they feel like.

Thanks Peter!

Brian.

Jun 26, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #2,129 of 3,345
I asked this question in the Oppo thread, but in the spirit of neutrality, I'll ask here as well.

Between Oppo PM-3 and NAD VISO HP50, which has the better tonality, bass response (tight and impactful), comfort, and lack of sound leakage?

Jun 28, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #2,130 of 3,345
I asked this question in the Oppo thread, but in the spirit of neutrality, I'll ask here as well.

Between Oppo PM-3 and NAD VISO HP50, which has the better tonality, bass response (tight and impactful), comfort, and lack of sound leakage?

Try the PM-3 thread. Read somewhere that they're almost the same, with the HP-50 having very slightly better accuracy and soundstaging and instrument separation (could be due to dynamic vs planar signatures), but the PM-3 is way ahead in terms of comfort. Based on FR graphs, HP-50 looks better on sub-bass department. I have HP-50s but haven't even listened to a PM-3. Best sound I've heard in a HP is the HP-50, but they're HORRIBLE on the comfort and size department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back