NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Jan 1, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #496 of 3,345

When I see headphones disassembled like that it makes me realize how much money I waste and makes me wonder how they could ever possibly provide good sound, since they look like pieces of plastic crap. I mean, it's like seeing Megan Fox turned inside out. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Hahahahaha, same here. It really looks lackluster. However, maybe the simplicity of its design is the reason for such stellar sound quality. Less in the way, more of the music we hear. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #497 of 3,345
After spending 20 hours with these headphones, I found the isolation to be really good. If I play music at only 40%-50% volume, I become unable to hear anyone talking and have trouble hearing a yell. I had my family test this out and they pretty much have the same experience. Very impressive. 

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #498 of 3,345
  Has anyone compared the HP50 to the Soundmagic HP100?  Both of them have gotten rave reviews and I'm not sure which one is better for portable use.

I like the HP50's more, but not for portable use.
The HP100's, IMO, aren't great for portable use either.

I think they're both too large and unwieldy, and the
shape of the HP50's headband makes them
particularly odd looking.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #499 of 3,345

Thanks. The ugly headband is the one thing that worries me about the HP50. Why isn't the HP100 suitable for portable use? Just because of its size? Is it also because of the coiled cord? I heard you can buy the HP200 straight cord from Soundmagic. What do you recommend for portable use then?

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #500 of 3,345
AKG K545 comes with android and apple cables and being remove able is also able to have a straight cable bought if needed. It works well from phones and idevices and scales extremely well with an amp and better DAC. Sound wise it has more emphasis in the upper mids as compared to the lower mids when compared to the HP50.

Jan 2, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #501 of 3,345

When I see headphones disassembled like that it makes me realize how much money I waste and makes me wonder how they could ever possibly provide good sound, since they look like pieces of plastic crap. I mean, it's like seeing Megan Fox turned inside out. Does anyone else feel the same way?

"Welcome to the grand illusion..."

Jan 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #502 of 3,345

Thanks. The ugly headband is the one thing that worries me about the HP50. Why isn't the HP100 suitable for portable use? Just because of its size? Is it also because of the coiled cord? I heard you can buy the HP200 straight cord from Soundmagic. What do you recommend for portable use then?

The HP100's are too big for portable use IMO.
Not only full size, but in addition the earcups
are wide creating a very bulbous sort of profile.
And then the heavy coled cord.

(Nice sounding headphones - not knocking their SQ.)

I'm well aware that there will be disagreement on the size issue,
you do see people wearing full size headphones as "portables".
I myself wear Audio Technica ATH M50's at the gym.

But for me, truly portable headphones are smaller than that,
typically called "earpad" headphones.

A few recommendations:
Sennheiser HD 25 I ii,
Sennheiser Momentum (full size version)
Sennheiser Amperior (if u can find them)
V Moda M 80

Then there's the question of open vs.closed.
Some feel that closed headphones cut you off too much
from what's going on around you...and I can agree with that.

So, some more recommendations:
Koss PortaPro (original version)
Sennheiser HD239 (currently on the Inner Fidelity
Wall of Fame)
Sennheiser PX100ii

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #503 of 3,345
Hehe, lookin' good recstar24, don't sweat it!

Got my HP50s sounding fantastic now that I got a Modi! Computer>Modi>Headsave Classic v2 headphone amp>NAD Viso HP50s. Wow indeed! Now all I need is a headphone cable extension :) - Modi is an amazing device also, even made my old $20 headphones sound pretty amazing. I'm always fooling around with equaliser settings but these sound great without any equaliser at all. Still I loves me some treble so I might use a teeny treble boost :)

I hope these thick leather ear pads don't cause too much ear warmth. It's always hot in my room as it is!

I'm curios about the burn in, does the sound change at all over time? Right now I'm definitely happy with em as they are. Got goosebumps listening to Metric.

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #504 of 3,345
Thanks for the suggestions.  I don't really like on-ears because they get uncomfortable after an hour or two due to my ears getting squished against my glasses.  I plan to use them mostly in a library or occasionally in the office, so I won't be moving around while wearing them and open headphones or ones that leak sound are not an option.  

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #505 of 3,345
If you can demo the K545 I suggest you do so. They are comfortable as all get out as one glasses wearer to another and they are as good as the HP50 sound quality wise, just slightly different in signature and price wise are very competitive.

Jan 2, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #507 of 3,345
If you can demo the K545 I suggest you do so. They are comfortable as all get out as one glasses wearer to another and they are as good as the HP50 sound quality wise, just slightly different in signature and price wise are very competitive.

Ooh, don't know about that - the 545 sounds completely different from the hp50. I couldn't even have it on for more than 10-15 seconds when I was demoing it.

I might be pulling the trigger on the HP50 soon...

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #508 of 3,345
Different doesn't mean less than, just different... I acknowledged the K545 is different and simply suggest to Za Warudo that they try the K545 as an over ear alternative. As for the amount of difference between the two I found the HP50 to have slightly less sub bass, more mid bass, stronger lower midrange, weaker upper midrange and similar treble.

For me while I obviously like the K545 but did like the HP50 sound as an alternative, with only some songs sounding a bit shouty and painful to my ears. But this is how I hear the HP50 in comparison, for others they will have the opposite experience preferring the HP50 more. No right or wrong, better or worse. Just differences in preference...

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #509 of 3,345
Different doesn't mean less than, just different... I acknowledged the K545 is different and simply suggest to Za Warudo that they try the K545 as an over ear alternative. As for the amount of difference between the two I found the HP50 to have slightly less sub bass, more mid bass, stronger lower midrange, weaker upper midrange and similar treble.

For me while I obviously like the K545 but did like the HP50 sound as an alternative, with only some songs sounding a bit shouty and painful to my ears. But this is how I hear the HP50 in comparison, for others they will have the opposite experience preferring the HP50 more. No right or wrong, better or worse. Just differences in preference...

No, agreed. Just wasn't my cup of tea when I demo'd them. I'm glad you like them though! :)

Jan 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #510 of 3,345

Thanks, I'll consider those.  Do you think pairing the K545 with a warm DAP like the X3 would make it closer in signature to the HP50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back