NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton?
Dec 23, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #451 of 3,345
After one week of use I think I'll sell the NAD VISO HP50
I bought them for several reasons: Inner Fidelity Wall of Fame, the name NAD, the Room Feel Technology, and some reviews...
Couldn't listen to them before purchase..

I agree that they sound very neutral and accurate, but I need a portable headphone and for this purpose these simply don't make it for me.

• they don't look good on me, make my head looks like a square
  • they don't isolate very good
  • they leak a lot
  • they are too neutral for my tase

I can't confirm that they're uncomfortable. They are very comfy for me, and the thin headband doesn't bother me. Also on longer listening sessions these won't hurt my head.
But they don't sit too good on my head, meaning that I often find myself readjusting them back and forth. 

I have an impression that neither of the often compared headphones here in this thread will suite my need, since they sound more or less similar....momentum etc...

Maybe a V-Moda m100 will do the job, I dont' know.
I need something more fun, but still high SQ and highly detailed.
Something for mobile use, so no MrSpeaker etc..
Have an portable amp, so no problem if it needs amping

Any suggestions?

The V-Moda M-100 is very detailed and the sound quality is impressive but comfort-wise is horrible (didn't get to try the XL pads though) and they are extremely bassy, like 8db boost in the bass. Very V-shaped signature with recessed mids. I used to EQ them all the time. If you are into EQ'ing and can stand them on your head, go for them.

Dec 23, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #452 of 3,345
I bought them for several reasons: Inner Fidelity Wall of Fame, the name NAD, the Room Feel Technology, and some reviews...

I agree that they sound very neutral and accurate, but I need a portable headphone and for this purpose these simply don't make it for me.

1. they don't look good on me, make my head looks like a square
  2. they don't isolate very good
  3. they leak a lot
  4. they are too neutral for my tase

I can't confirm that they're uncomfortable. They are very comfy for me, and the thin headband doesn't bother me. Also on longer listening sessions these won't hurt my head.
But they don't sit too good on my head, meaning that I often find myself readjusting them back and forth. 

I have an impression that neither of the often compared headphones here in this thread will suite my need, since they sound more or less similar....momentum etc...

Any suggestions?

If by too neutral, you mean that you prefer more bass, then the M-100 with XL pads may be for you.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #453 of 3,345

1. they don't look good on me, make my head looks like a square
  2. they don't isolate very good
  3. they leak a lot
  4. they are too neutral for my tase

Any suggestions?

I think the Momentum sounds quite different from the HP50.
Brighter, more detailed, more dynamic, perhaps more bass as well.

I bought both thinking I would return one, but ended up keeping both
as they complement each other nicely.

If you've firmly decided against the Momentum, I highly recommend
that you listen to the Sony MDR-7520.  IMO better than both the
Senn and the NAD.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #454 of 3,345
  Just bought a White HP50 after spending some time testing out the momentums and the NAD. The NAD won flat out with its comfort and sound quality (imo).

However....

What is up with the included cables.. they are so short.

Anyone replaced their cables yet? The input at the earcups seem to require a pretty slim plug.

http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #456 of 3,345
  If by too neutral, you mean that you prefer more bass, then the M-100 with XL pads may be for you.

That's not what I meant. It just sounds somehow pale to my ears. Not very fun. But for a mobile can this could need a little more bass
The Alessandro MS1 has less bass but I prefer this Can to the NAD.

Dec 24, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #457 of 3,345
I just use ibasso db2/pb2 single ended to the HP50, still using stock. The sound stage is pretty impressive for closed cans..awesome for symphony

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #458 of 3,345
Hi--I just got my HP50s, and will be returning them immediately. I was astonished to see and feel how tiny the earcups on these are, and I can tell you, I have an average size head, and have been told during my 70 year life that I don't have large ears. My ears are compressed on these phones--around the edges as well as overall, because not only are the cups small, they are also shallow. These were so uncomfortable I never got around to evaluating the sound. My Beyer 990s are no doubt among the most comfortable phones, but I did not expect such a huge difference. Too bad trying before buying is next to impossible--at least where I live.

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #459 of 3,345
Obviously, you want your headphones to be comfortable.

I think it's worth keeping in mind, though, that the Beyer 990's
(along with the 770's and 880's) have among the largest earcups
of any headphones available today.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #460 of 3,345
I posted my first impressions of the NAD VISO HP50s (specifically relative to the P7s) on a couple of other threads.
Seemed relevant here too, so...

Mainsail: See my impressions of the fit in the second paragraph (I also have the 990s).

To me, they sound more alike than they sound different. The upper end on the P7s has a more aggressive "pointed" sound, whereas the NADs reveal an upper end that seems to be more embedded into the mix. However this range doesn't seem to be missing anything (I'm not sensing a huge roll-off). What really surprised me is that the bass seems more "bloated" than the P7s! I'll burn these for awhile and see if that changes, although I've read that these are good to go out-of-the-box. More listening to come, but right now I'm liking the treble better than the P7s; it's less aggressive but most certainly there. As to the mids, wow, they seem really close to me (as in, not über different from the "recessed" mids of the P7s).

As far as fit is concerned, it's a bit dicey. I have no prob with the cushy headband on the NADs, but the ear cups share that munchkin size that so many cans seem to have adopted. They're reasonably soft but they don't go totally around my ears. Plus, my ears are touching the driver pad. That's gonna get old fast. I think I actually like the fit on the P7s more. They envelope my ears in a more circumaural manner, although my blasted "attached" earlobes are always problematic. The small and shallow ear cups of the NAD 'phones are a disappointment.

So, to recap on the NADs:
• The bass seems bloated.
• The treble seems to be more integrated with the mix (that's good!).
• The fit isn't perfect; the cups are small and shallow.

I'll post again after more burning and listening.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #461 of 3,345
I was also surprised how small the HP50 was they are like a slightly larger Momentum in regards to size. The Momentum rested fully on the outer parts o my ear, the HP50 in contrast touched the outside of my ear. The feeling was better than the Momentum but I was more than a little concerned about long term comfort. I place comfort pretty much equally with sound. This issue made it very easy for me to just want to continue to use the AKG K545 which I also slightly prefer for signature.

Dec 25, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #463 of 3,345
No they are smaller...

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #464 of 3,345
I confirm dweaver's comment; the cups on the NADs are smaller than the P7s. The P7s fully "circumnavigate" my ears (although my attached lobes get pressed a little). Feeling a bit better about the NAD fit today. If I nudge my ears up, sort of into the fold between the pad and the driver, it gives my lobes a break and also kinda flattens out my ear (effectively spreading the contact with the thin cushion over the driver grill). So I'm not getting so much localized pressure on the part of my ear that sticks out the most.

I'm still concerned (and perplexed) by the bass. One of the tracks I use to test bass is "Fire" by the JHE. Yes, it's a nearly fifty year old recording but the heavy bass riff that opens the song is helpful to me in determining the extension and effectiveness of the bass. I was shocked to hear how the NADs handled this. It sounded "out of control" and overblown. The P7s handled this with less bloat and more detail. The "shock" came from having read all the comments about the P7s bloated bass and the NADs supposed neutrality. Again, I'll see if the bass settles down after some more burn. I do agree that the treble is more neutral than the P7s and I like it better. Even though the P7s have improved with time, they still have occasional harshness in the treble.

So this is becoming a real horse race, as to which one I prefer. Right now they both have pros and cons.
it's either keep one or send 'em both back!
...or, heaven forbid, keep 'em both!?

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #465 of 3,345
I confirm dweaver's comment; the cups on the NADs are smaller than the P7s. The P7s fully "circumnavigate" my ears (although my attached lobes get pressed a little). Feeling a bit better about the NAD fit today. If I nudge my ears up, sort of into the fold between the pad and the driver, it gives my lobes a break and also kinda flattens out my ear (effectively spreading the contact with the thin cushion over the driver grill). So I'm not getting so much localized pressure on the part of my ear that sticks out the most.

I'm still concerned (and perplexed) by the bass. One of the tracks I use to test bass is "Fire" by the JHE. Yes, it's a nearly fifty year old recording but the heavy bass riff that opens the song is helpful to me in determining the extension and effectiveness of the bass. I was shocked to hear how the NADs handled this. It sounded "out of control" and overblown. The P7s handled this with less bloat and more detail. The "shock" came from having read all the comments about the P7s bloated bass and the NADs supposed neutrality. Again, I'll see if the bass settles down after some more burn. I do agree that the treble is more neutral than the P7s and I like it better. Even though the P7s have improved with time, they still have occasional harshness in the treble.

So this is becoming a real horse race, as to which one I prefer. Right now they both have pros and cons.
it's either keep one or send 'em both back!
...or, heaven forbid, keep 'em both!?

Looking forward to your impressions, I'll decide based on your comments. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back