NAD HP50 repair / convert
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

gxleetw

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am trying to repair / savage a pair of NAD HP50 by converting it to balanced, ideally without soldering iron.

Factory NAD HP50 is single-ended, with 3.5mm TRRS female jacks on both earpieces, but the cable can go to either piece while maintaining polarity. Internally, the left can only connects to the first and third leg of TRRS, and the right the second and third leg. Both TRRS jacks are connected together in parallel via wires going through the headband.

Unfortunately, the wires going through the headband are broken due to normal uses. This seems to be a common problem. Since it’s impossible to run a new set of connecting wires though the headband, what I want to do is to disconnect the left and right earpiece entirely, and use a 4-pin XLR cable that for the left can has its pin 1 (L+) connect to *both* T and R for the left can, pin 2 (L-) to the Sleeve; and similarly for the right can. Is there any existing balanced HP cable in this pinout?
I understand there are a lot of balance cables are using 3.5mm trs for the HP ends, but only use the “Tip” to carry the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back