NAD D3020 Discussion Thread
Apr 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ZenocideZ

New Head-Fier
Found the forum do not have one so I am making one here.
I know it is a hybrid stereo desktop amp with build in headphone amp (Not sure about its spec). But I wish to see more discussions about its potential headphone amp power, so post in this forum section. 

I saw Malaysia and Indonesia Jaben modified the speaker cable output to headphone HD650, T1 and K702....
How could that possibly be done?

For example, 
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=879131745435648&set=a.123653897650107.23805.110473262301504&type=1&relevant_count=1

Also, I trial google the internal pic inside D3020, no much can be found. Does anyone has insightful information about its internal design and headphone amp power from the jack at front?

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 7
It's got a howitzer of a headphone amp.  It has a generally powerful sound that fills out the crucial lower-midrange area.  There is some slight midrange edge (in a good way) that gives guitars crunch and growl.  

If you listen to mostly girl with a guitar stuff, you'll be able to find better amps.  Other amps do the pinpoint imaging or transparency thing better.  The D 3020 is about rhythmic drive and meaty, thick, acoustic mass.

The treble extension is not the best.  But that's not really the point here.  Plenty of amps are all treble and delicacy and refinement and soundstage and player separation and all that BS (what they really are is thin sounding).  The NAD excels where it counts, in portraying the sense of heft, gravity, and protein that is missing in all too many audiophile components.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 7
Anyone tried driving anything with a big higher impedance like the Beyer T70?

Want some kind of aptx amp/dac for them so I can use spotify from my phone and charge it since my work decided that their updated proxies wouldn't let me listen to spotify (but i can sit on youtube lol).

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #4 of 7
Anyone tried driving anything with a big higher impedance like the Beyer T70?

Want some kind of aptx amp/dac for them so I can use spotify from my phone and charge it since my work decided that their updated proxies wouldn't let me listen to spotify (but i can sit on youtube lol).

It drives my 250 ohm headphones just fine, as well as my sons lcd-3s. I have dt770, 990, and T90s, all 250ohm

If you have an iPhone, aptx means nothing. That said, the D3020 sounds great with apple Bluetooth drivers.

Aug 5, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 7
The NAD D3020 is such a great DAC / Headphone amp, it drives the HD800 and the LCD-3 very well, the sound with these headphones driven by the NAD as a DAc and amp is natural and realistic with recordings of live classical music, compared to how I hear it at concerts. Comparing the NAD to another very nice DAC and tube amp, see my profile, it does not disappoint at all, on the contrary, I thoroughly enjoy music with it, as well as watching and hearing movies. Nowadays I am using the NAD 95% of my listening time. I would recommend everybody to give it a try at least once, please do not dismiss because of its relative low price.

It amazes me that this DAC/AMP is not much more popular on Head-fi. BTW: Super great value for money.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with NAD or any of its distributors whatsoever

Aug 5, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 7
there is a firmware upgrade to allow it to work with TV remotes. See the NAD site for more info. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back