NAD D 3020 V2 as a headphone amp?
Sep 16, 2018 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kipper15

New Head-Fier
Not sure if posting in the right place so mods feel free to move if necessary.

Is anybody on here using this amp mostly (or even exclusively) as a headphone amp? If so, what are your opinions of it? It has had favourable reviews in this regard from the hi-fi press but interested to know if any forum members are using the D3020 V2 as a headphone amp.

I am thinking of putting a D3020 V2 in my man cave/office, and streaming via Bluetooth to the D3020 V2 from my laptop. As I understand it, Windows 10 supports aptX, as does the NAD. I would use mostly as a headphone amp, although I may also connect the pre-out on the NAD to connect to a powered Bluetooth speaker that has RCA inputs.

My headphones are Sennheiser HD 579.

Nov 16, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 5
I just read your post and I'm thinking just the same way. Because it's the same amount of money you would pay for a low-mid tier headphone amp and you have the chance to attach some speakers to it too. I would plug a couple of passive monitors like Wharfdale Diamond 220 or something like that but most of the time my Alessandro MS1 or German Maestro GMP35.

Jan 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 5
I have a D3020 (v1?) matched with KEF iQ3's. I stream via blueooth to the D3020, and I love it for my small space. I'm impressed with the iQ3 and i have to forgo lusting after the LS50 :frowning2:

After a recent noise complaint, I'm looking for ways to let the HD580 & Massdrop 6xx sing to new heights. I did try the D3020 headphone port, and it's doesn't seem as musical as the speaker setup. I should give it more time and see how I feel. In the past and currently I used my headphones off a PC or phone. Unless i rearrange the room, I'm looking for excuses to buy an alternate DAC & amp option for running from my pc.

Although could always just buy a second D3020 because I like it so much, but what fun would that be? :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies people.

In the end I got myself an Audiolab M-DAC Mini for use as a headphone amp in my man cave/office, that supports high-res audio via the USB connection to my laptop. I stream Tidal Hi-Fi and get great results, along with FLAC files I have downloaded. No compression either!

I'm still tempted to get the D 3020 V2 but haven't found a use case for it yet. Toying with the idea of putting one in the garage/workshop...and hooking up to speakers to it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back