1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

NAD D 3020 V2 as a headphone amp?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by kipper15, Sep 16, 2018.
  1. kipper15
    Not sure if posting in the right place so mods feel free to move if necessary.

Is anybody on here using this amp mostly (or even exclusively) as a headphone amp? If so, what are your opinions of it? It has had favourable reviews in this regard from the hi-fi press but interested to know if any forum members are using the D3020 V2 as a headphone amp.

I am thinking of putting a D3020 V2 in my man cave/office, and streaming via Bluetooth to the D3020 V2 from my laptop. As I understand it, Windows 10 supports aptX, as does the NAD. I would use mostly as a headphone amp, although I may also connect the pre-out on the NAD to connect to a powered Bluetooth speaker that has RCA inputs.

My headphones are Sennheiser HD 579.

2. DaniRojo
    I just read your post and I'm thinking just the same way. Because it's the same amount of money you would pay for a low-mid tier headphone amp and you have the chance to attach some speakers to it too. I would plug a couple of passive monitors like Wharfdale Diamond 220 or something like that but most of the time my Alessandro MS1 or German Maestro GMP35.

kipper15 likes this.
  3. intoxiNADed
    I have a D3020 (v1?) matched with KEF iQ3's. I stream via blueooth to the D3020, and I love it for my small space. I'm impressed with the iQ3 and i have to forgo lusting after the LS50 :frowning2:

After a recent noise complaint, I'm looking for ways to let the HD580 & Massdrop 6xx sing to new heights. I did try the D3020 headphone port, and it's doesn't seem as musical as the speaker setup. I should give it more time and see how I feel. In the past and currently I used my headphones off a PC or phone. Unless i rearrange the room, I'm looking for excuses to buy an alternate DAC & amp option for running from my pc.

Although could always just buy a second D3020 because I like it so much, but what fun would that be? :beyersmile:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    kipper15 likes this.
  4. kipper15
    Thanks for the replies people.

In the end I got myself an Audiolab M-DAC Mini for use as a headphone amp in my man cave/office, that supports high-res audio via the USB connection to my laptop. I stream Tidal Hi-Fi and get great results, along with FLAC files I have downloaded. No compression either!

I'm still tempted to get the D 3020 V2 but haven't found a use case for it yet. Toying with the idea of putting one in the garage/workshop...and hooking up to speakers to it...

5. intoxiNADed
    Get a second hand v1, you will not be disappointed!