NAD C541i or DVD963sa
Apr 30, 2004 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MattyChapati

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know how the CD playback of these two compare? I currently own the NAD C541i but I have seen some good reviews of the 963sa on the head-fi forum and am quite interested in it's upsampling capability.

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 8
Quite interesting that, Ticky. Thanks. SOme seem to regard upsampling as a bit of a gimmick.

The NAD has got HDCD capablity and the 963sa is an SACD player. In general what are the differences between HDCD and SACD?

Apr 30, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyChapati
Quite interesting that, Ticky. Thanks. SOme seem to regard upsampling as a bit of a gimmick.

The NAD has got HDCD capablity and the 963sa is an SACD player. In general what are the differences between HDCD and SACD?

The better SACD I've heard has been better than the hdcd's I've heard on the average.
The 963SA is NOT a good cdp. The redbook with or without upsampling is at best below average.
That said....sacd lover has had one modified by sacdmods and said the player is now very good. If your planning on getting one you might want to check out the mods. The DVD playback is very good with the 963SA. The best I've seen.
600smile.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 8
There is a 963SA on Audiogon today for $275... better hurry! At that price you can't go wrong IMO because even if you didn't like it you could still break even for some time to come.

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
The redbook with or without upsampling is at best below average.

Tom,

Hows it going buddy? I'm curious about this statement. What do you me at best below average? At its $300 street price it's only competition is low-fi & mid-fi gear which I felt it trounces. I know you've listened to a lot better sources then the philips, as have I, but they are most certainly not average.

If you can point me to significantly better redbook at $300 let me know. I'll take two.
tongue.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 8
I do not undestand the popularity of the 963SA. To me it sounded like my $200 denon dvd player on CDs.

I very much like the sound of the NAD C541i.

In my experience most SACDs sound better than most HDCDs.

May 1, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gopher
Tom,

Hows it going buddy? I'm curious about this statement. What do you me at best below average? At its $300 street price it's only competition is low-fi & mid-fi gear which I felt it trounces. I know you've listened to a lot better sources then the philips, as have I, but they are most certainly not average.

If you can point me to significantly better redbook at $300 let me know. I'll take two.
tongue.gif

The most recent 300.00 dollar player I've spent enough time with to form an opinion is the NAD C521BEE. I think it is much nicer than the Philips. I paid 400.00 for mine when they came out(963SA). If it didn't have the great DVD playback, and I was only looking for a redbook player in that price range I would have bought a used Rega Planet (original) for around 300.00. Or a new CD25 for 428.00. Or tried some of the other NAD products. At the time it got here there was a single disk Sony that was around 150.00 new that I thought sounded the same from the midrange up but had better control over the bass.
I can't comment on the SACD of the Philips because I never used it. I'm sure I'll form a new opinion on the player when Earl comes down for are mini-meet next week. He shared my thoughts on the player, and says now its very good with the sacdmods on it.
Disclaimer: Remember when listening to my opinions, that at this point in time I think the Senns are as good as it gets.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back