NAD 3020 integrated amplifier
Oct 21, 2002 at 2:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

gryphon1972

Head-Fier
After cleaning up the serious oxidisation on the headphone out and the pre-out, power-in contacts, my NAD3020 is in working order again.

Just couldnt believe it.....the NAD521 cd player, NAD3020 headphone out simply blows away the portable setup of a Sony D465, CHA47 amp......its simply improvement to the portable setup and not just different sounding.

The highs are more extended and natural. The midrange is less grainy, the bass is more viseral and detailed. The soundstage is more coherent(dont know if this is the right word). Its just simply more revealing.....more of the way the music is being recorded is being shown....for example through the NAD3020, some recordings that are bright or dull are being shown whereas in the portable setup it seems to be more forgiving of bright recordings....

Does anyone also have a NAD3020? How does the headphone out compare to dedicated headphone amps?

I am thinking of saving up to get a dedicated amp for my W100. Probably an EMP........would it be a worthwhile upgrade like say a day and night difference.....

Thanks for your help...

Oct 21, 2002 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 18
I had a NAD 3020 years ago. That was a nice little integrated. It was way too long ago for me to make any meaningful comparisons to current headphone amps (my headphones at the time were Koss Pro 4AA). However, I've heard the Earmax Pro recently, and my guess is that the NAD will put up a good fight against the stock tubes. Upgrade the tubes, however, and the Earmax comes into its own.

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

I'm thinking about picking up a used one on sale...hold me back...

[size=xx-small]....buy it....buy it.....buy it......buy it.......[/size]
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 18
I think they used to be made in Japan. Now they are made In China I believe...

I'm also interested in the NAD 3020, but the quality issue always concerns me.

Oct 21, 2002 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

Buy it.....
evil_smiley.gif

Another thing good about the NAD3020 is the phono stage.....
Well I have only compared it to a project phono......the NAD is way better...
biggrin.gif

But for that price.......

BTW.....I have shown the schematics of the NAD to one of my DIY friends and he commented that the reason why the NAD headphone out sounded good(based on the schematics) is that they take their headphone out directly from the speakers out.......

http://www.gmweb.btinternet.co.uk/others.htm

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

If you want me to hold you back, just tell me where it is. It will be gone before you get back there...
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 21, 2002 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 18
Just wondering... is grainy sound on the speakers indicative of oxidised connections (among other possibilities...)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 21, 2002 at 11:28 AM Post #9 of 18
it might be, but to generate grainy sound with high energy output, the oxidation of metal needs to be in serious states.

Oct 21, 2002 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 18
How about line level input? Those are not high energy...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 22, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 18
I have been using a Nad 7020 (the "receiver" equivalent of the 3020) for over a year as my office system, and I would concur, that the headphone output is very good.

If you can find a cheap 7020 or 3020, its as good as getting a dedicated headphone amp. Plus, you have bass and treble controls!!! (The straightwire with gain philosophy was a big mistake - I love tone controls - and yes, my main McIntosh rig has lots of controls).

I did some A/B comparisons to my Wheatfield HA-2 at one time. The Wheatfield went deeper, was more transparent, more liquid, and had airier highs. Surprised? But, I did not go blechh or scream out loud when I would use the NAD, while most other vintage electronics headphone jacks I've tried (notably Kenwood and Pioneer) - I could not put up with.

The 7020 is very musical and easy to listen to. I I picked up my 7020 for $60 at a pawn shop. A bargain in my mind.

Oct 22, 2002 at 2:17 AM Post #12 of 18
I've just read the other day, that NAD will be introducing a revamped version of the 3020 soon, btw.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Oct 22, 2002 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 18
Interesting, the NAD 3020 appears in Stereophile's 100 most influential products of the last 40 years, in the Nov issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back