N00b: Wanting To Buy SennHeiser HD650's. Need Direction.
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

NoodleBoy91

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.
I am new to posting however I have been reading so much on this website recently as I am extremely interested in buying a pair of Sennheiser HD650 Headphones.

I have always owned just a pair of the standard headphones that come with the iphone and have never even spent over 30 dollars on a pair. I really want a good pair of headphones and have been reading like crazy about all the different options and amplifiers and DAC combos. I feel overwhelmed really :p. From reading so much I am pretty much sold on the Sennhesier HD650's as I hear they are good for various types of music which sounds good to me because I enjoy a wide range of genres, although I also know i would not be dissapointed with any other popular headphone option.

Currently I am planning to buy the Senns and i was going to buy an amp and DAC combo for around 300 dollars to compliment the new heaphones. However i might just buy the headphones and appreciate them first without any amp or DAC, then upgrade a few months down the track.

I am rambling on a bit now, but I maybe need some reassurance. I am really keen on getting a good set of headphones. My main concern is sound quality of course. I want to be amazed when i first put them on and listen to them, I want to be extremely impressed by the sound quality.

SO will I be amazed when i hear these phones? Will they blow me away?

I will be using these for Music Listening, Gaming and maybe even Movie Watching as I do not have any good speakers for my computer or television which is why I want to invest in headphones. I also want to invest in a good pair as I am currently completing a design course at university and I really enjoy listening to music while I do work that doesn't require that much thinking.

Will they sound much better then my MACBook speakers, Ipod earphones and my JVC CD Player Speakers that i have been using to listen to all of my music, games and watching my movies with?.

Also, I recently went to my local store and tried a pair of Dre. Beats. The first pair of headphones I had tried that cost more than 30 dollars. I was impressed, they sounded so clear and crisp TO ME. However when I looked up the reviews for these headphones they were average and people consider them not that great sounding, which is good for me because they are very expensive :p 600 dollars here in Australia. 200 dollars for the In ears. Will The Sennheiser HD650's sound even better then the Dre Beats I tested?

I just want to be amazed :). I find this whole scene of headphone collecting and amplifiers intriguing :). I hope this to be the start of a new interest for me.

Thank you For Taking The Time To Read This. I Hope Some People With More Experience Will Be Able To Guide Me, As I Am A N00b and I just need to know whether or not these headphones will provide me with the listening experience I am looking for.

Thats is, GOOD QUALITY MUSIC!
GOOD SOUNDING MUSIC!
AND
A PHENOMENAL LISTENING EXPERIENCE THAT CAN RIVAL A SURROUND SOUND SETUP:p.

Thanks.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:16 AM Post #2 of 57

Quote:
Hi all.
I am new to posting however I have been reading so much on this website recently as I am extremely interested in buying a pair of Sennheiser HD650 Headphones.

I have always owned just a pair of the standard headphones that come with the iphone and have never even spent over 30 dollars on a pair. I really want a good pair of headphones and have been reading like crazy about all the different options and amplifiers and DAC combos. I feel overwhelmed really :p. From reading so much I am pretty much sold on the Sennhesier HD650's as I hear they are good for various types of music which sounds good to me because I enjoy a wide range of genres, although I also know i would not be dissapointed with any other popular headphone option.

Currently I am planning to buy the Senns and i was going to buy an amp and DAC combo for around 300 dollars to compliment the new heaphones. However i might just buy the headphones and appreciate them first without any amp or DAC, then upgrade a few months down the track.

I am rambling on a bit now, but I maybe need some reassurance. I am really keen on getting a good set of headphones. My main concern is sound quality of course. I want to be amazed when i first put them on and listen to them, I want to be extremely impressed by the sound quality.

SO will I be amazed when i hear these phones? Will they blow me away?

I will be using these for Music Listening, Gaming and maybe even Movie Watching as I do not have any good speakers for my computer or television which is why I want to invest in headphones. I also want to invest in a good pair as I am currently completing a design course at university and I really enjoy listening to music while I do work that doesn't require that much thinking.

Will they sound much better then my MACBook speakers, Ipod earphones and my JVC CD Player Speakers that i have been using to listen to all of my music, games and watching my movies with?.

Also, I recently went to my local store and tried a pair of Dre. Beats. The first pair of headphones I had tried that cost more than 30 dollars. I was impressed, they sounded so clear and crisp TO ME. However when I looked up the reviews for these headphones they were average and people consider them not that great sounding, which is good for me because they are very expensive :p 600 dollars here in Australia. 200 dollars for the In ears. Will The Sennheiser HD650's sound even better then the Dre Beats I tested?

I just want to be amazed :). I find this whole scene of headphone collecting and amplifiers intriguing :). I hope this to be the start of a new interest for me.

Thank you For Taking The Time To Read This. I Hope Some People With More Experience Will Be Able To Guide Me, As I Am A N00b and I just need to know whether or not these headphones will provide me with the listening experience I am looking for.

Thats is, GOOD QUALITY MUSIC!
GOOD SOUNDING MUSIC!
AND
A PHENOMENAL LISTENING EXPERIENCE THAT CAN RIVAL A SURROUND SOUND SETUP:p.

Thanks.

If you like 'clear & crisp' the HD650's will not be the best choice. Also if you like uptempo and energetic music again the 650's are a poor choice

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #3 of 57
So you are saying that the Beats by Dre offer a clearer and more crisp sound then the HD650's?

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #4 of 57
I have yet to hear the 650s, but I been here long enough to know that its not an energetic headphone, and the treble is very smooth, not crisp. I think you'd do better off with a pair of DT880s or even better, the Hifiman HE-4 if you back it up with a powerful amp.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #5 of 57
Okay. But  am a Major n00b so when I use terms like Clear and crisp I don't know exactly what that means in audiophile terminology :p.

I just want good quality audio. Will the Sennheisers give me that?

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #6 of 57

Quote:
So you are saying that the Beats by Dre offer a clearer and more crisp sound then the HD650's?

If you feel that the Beats are clear and crisp then yes they will probably be clearer and cripser than the HD650's. However that does not make them a better phone.
I have never heard any Beats but have had the HD650's and crisp and clear they are not.
The Senns are decent phones but unless you are looking for a soft,smooth laidback sound and only really listen to soft smooth laidback music I would look elsewhere.

Dec 12, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #7 of 57
yes, but hd650 are by no means "wow-effect" headphones. they just do everything very good. they will be MUCH better than beats though (but not in loud environment)

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 57
Thanks for the replies. So, what would be a good "wow-effect" headphone?.
I am using cheap thirty dollar ipod earphones currently so anything would be an upgrade. I thought that the Senns would "WOW" me :p Unfortunately I cannot listen to them so that makes the decision harder. I know that my local shop has a few Sennheisers on display to test out. They have the HD 598. Is the HD650's sound similar to those?.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #10 of 57
I have had the 598s. Crisp and clear , certainly, but I dunno what you want in terms of wowing you. Gonna go out on a limb and assume that bass is gonna be what wows you. Start with the D2000. If bass isn't absolutely the most important factor, start with the 880s which do everything well, from bass, clarity, and just overall a great headphone. They have more wow factor than the 598s, which are a bit bass light for me.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 57
No I am not at all looking for a lot of BASS :p  Just good quality sounding music. All rounders maybe. I don't know LOL. SUBMIWhen I say "WOW" I mean when I go from listening to ipod in ear headphones for 4 years to a pair of Senn HD650's will it sound significantly better than the in ears?. That probably sounds really stupid sorry :p.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #13 of 57
Oh Okay. So the Sennheiser HD650's won't sound significantly better then in ear ipod headphones.
The dt 880's are the way to go then maybe?.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #14 of 57
That's not what we're saying. The HD650 is known to be a very good headphone, but it has a certain audience. Its warm, laid back, and doesn't really jump out with energy like other cans. You seem to want something a bit more exciting, which is the DT880. Neither are superior to the other. They are different.

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #15 of 57
Try not to think of headphones so much as all being either better or worse than one another.  Sure, sometimes "headphone A" is just just flat out better than "headphone B".  More often than not its less a question of which is overall "better" and more a question of which headphone will be better suited to fill the role your looking for.  Some headphones differ too much in sound and design to be directly compared against another and have a winner declared as better than the other.  You can however decide which one will suit you the best. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back