N00b: Wanting To Buy SennHeiser HD650's. Need Direction.
Dec 12, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #31 of 57
I think you would be better off with the Sennheiser HD600 or Denon AH-D2000 for a wow effect. The HD650 probably won't have it as it is a pretty laid back can, but it does scale nicely with better equipment. The HD600 are very natural and sound pretty neutral and excellent headphones in my view as they do pretty much everything well. For nice bass impact the Denon's would also be a very impressive can and should be nicely driven without an amp which is also a consideration as you could invest the money in a better source.

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #32 of 57
Okay. So what if i was to buy an amp for around 400 dollars or under and a DAC for the HD650. Will that make them sound better?
The DT 880's sound like really good headphones. Will either the HD650 and Dt 880's run well with a fiio E7/E9 combo? Or are there better combos out there?

Why can't there be a headphone store in Melbourne!? So hard to make decisions because I guess every ones taste is different. :p.
SUBMIT

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #33 of 57

Quote:
Okay. So what if i was to buy an amp for around 400 dollars or under and a DAC for the HD650. Will that make them sound better?
The DT 880's sound like really good headphones. Will either the HD650 and Dt 880's run well with a fiio E7/E9 combo? Or are there better combos out there?

Why can't there be a headphone store in Melbourne!? So hard to make decisions because I guess every ones taste is different. :p.

Mate - you're in Melbourne?

Get yourself down to Addicted To Audio (http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/) - and ask to try out the DT880 and HD600.  I've owned both, and they are both great choices.  Both need amping - although the HD600 will be slightly easier to drive.

When you're down there - talk to them about amping options - they'll give you a range of different gear to consider.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #34 of 57
Woop Woop Woop** Zoidberg

I had no idea because I was trying to look up a headphone shop. I have even been to there website but i assumed they were purely an online only store. :p. I also remember reading on another forum that there was no headphone shops in Melbourne.

Thankyou. This is great. Perfect. Just what I need. There prices don't beat ebay though unfortunately :frowning2: I don't want them to know that i will just go there to test out everything then walk out not buying anything. do you think they will mind?

Thankyou.

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #35 of 57

Quote:
Woop Woop Woop** Zoidberg

I had no idea because I was trying to look up a headphone shop. I have even been to there website but i assumed they were purely an online only store. :p. I also remember reading on another forum that there was no headphone shops in Melbourne.

Thankyou. This is great. Perfect. Just what I need. There prices don't beat ebay though unfortunately :frowning2: I don't want them to know that i will just go there to test out everything then walk out not buying anything. do you think they will mind?

Thankyou.

No harm in testing - but if you find something you like, ask them for a price.  They may go below the RRP - and at least then you know you've purchased from an approved supplier.  That way if anything goes wrong - you have full warranty cover.  For me - it's peace of mind.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #36 of 57
Okay so I went to The Store Addicted To Sound and they were very helpful. I asked if i could have a listen to a few headphones. The main ones I listened to was the DT 880's. I spent more time then I would have liked with them because I only got to hear the HD 650's for a little bit.
Okay I will describe my experience as best that I can. I am new to all this so please be nice :p. I don't really know how to use audiophile terminology.

From my ears, I agree that the DT880's are extremely detailed and i could hear a lot of details in the music such as the plucking on the guitar. It was a very clean sound to me which I quite enjoyed, however I am not sure whether or not I would get a little tired of it (probably not). However I felt that the bass was a little lacking, although i could hear the bass clearly, it did not provide the same atmospheric effect the HD650's did. Also I have to say that they are the most comfortable headphones out of the two. I also tried ultrasones, which were also not as comfortable.
I tried The DT880's with the following amplifiers: Burson HA-160D, NUFORCE Icon 2,  Violetric HPA V200 and the LehmannAudio Black Cube.

Then I tried the HD650's. I was told by the store person that they are extremely difficult to drive and that to properly drive them I would need to get a very high end amp worth 1000 dollars and up. Not even the Burson HA-160D (1100 Dollars) could drive them properly as the sound was slightly muddy, well that's what he said. I then tried them with the LehmannAudio Black Cube amp worth 1700 dollars. The sound was much better. However i am not prepared to spend that much. It was unfortunate that I was not able to try the headphones with NUFORCE Icon 2 because that is more in my price range.
I really did enjoy the laid-back sound of the Sennheiser HD650's, it felt as though I could have listened to them for hSUBMITours without getting tired of them. The sound stage was also amazing. I put on my DAFT PUNK ALIVE album in which is a live recording. It was so amazing, I could hear the crowd around me and felt like I was somewhere near the front of the stage. Then the music really kicked in and it surrounded me, just like when I go to real Trance or Dance festivals, it was pretty amazing. The Dt880's had a good sound stage, but i think that, to me anyway, the HD650's was a little more 3D.

I enjoyed both headphones, I am now more confused LOL.
I think i will go there next time to try out the headphones again but maybe this time I will go there with some money. :p.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #37 of 57

Glad to hear that you got down there for an audition ~ I was there earlier today my self 
biggrin.gif

HD600 is also worthy of an audition next time you pop in. The Nuforce unit (silver one) you
tried is the HDP model ~ top of the Nuforce line.

Oh ~ It's 'Addicted to Audio' ~ there's a tonne of similar sounding names that point to a
range of audio clubs, can be a little confusing! 

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #38 of 57

Quote:

Glad to hear that you got down there for an audition ~ I was there earlier today my self 
biggrin.gif

HD600 is also worthy of an audition next time you pop in. The Nuforce unit (silver one) you
tried is the HDP model ~ top of the Nuforce line.

HDP is the king of headphone dac/amps for under 500 man... they're quite powerful too, something like 300mw/channel? You can get stronger, but not from a US produced combobrick. You can spent about 500 and get foreign produced stuff that is more bang for the buck, but presentation, form factor, and delivery time all leave a lot to be desired

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #39 of 57
Dear NoodleBoy91,

Go for the HD650's and pair them with the Matrix M-Stage (a worthy clone of the Lehmann Black Cube). I remember looking for other headphones to buy, but, ultimately, deep down inside, I yearned for the HD650's. Honestly, in my opinion, the HD650's are one of the best, if not, the best (haters hate here) sub $500 headphones. Coming from stock iPod ear buds (those words make me cry a little bit inside) to the HD650's, it will be a long time before you find the need to upgrade headphones.

HD650.

Live long and prosper. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #40 of 57
Oh really, must have missed you :p. You know it took me over an hour to drive there because of traffic lol. Next time I will go there earlier.
Yeah I will be sure to give a listen to more headphones next time I go and also I will bring more of my CD's :p. I wanted to stay longer but I felt bad because the guy was sitting with me the whole time.
Hmm the HDP Nuforce seems in my budget a bit more. I would like to try it out a bit more.
I liked the Violectric, however i don't think it comes with a DAC but I think he said i can pay 200 dollars extra to get one installed or something?

What is the difference between the Violectric V200 and V100 in terms of sound quality? is there much difference?

Also Is the NUForce HDP a good amp? Would it drive the HD 650's, Because going by what the guy at the store told me it, it seems like only a 1000,000 dollar amplifier can drive them properly. :p
He kept saying that the NUForce is great for the price. I like the looks of it lol but how does it compare to other amps such as the violetric?

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #41 of 57

Quote:
Then I tried the HD650's. I was told by the store person that they are extremely difficult to drive and that to properly drive them I would need to get a very high end amp worth 1000 dollars and up. Not even the Burson HA-160D (1100 Dollars) could drive them properly as the sound was slightly muddy, well that's what he said.

I read somewhere recently that E9 can drive HD650 better than HA-160D.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:43 AM Post #42 of 57

Quote:

I read somewhere recently that E9 can drive HD650 better than HA-160D.

What ever your source was, it gave me a good laugh.

Dec 15, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #45 of 57
The first time i ever listened to my grado sr60 i was so blown away by it's awesomeness i threw out my old headphones, previously i owned some sony earbuds that came with my phone. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back