n00b ecstasy
Jan 27, 2005 at 7:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AdamWill

Headphoneus Supremus
So as my .sig's been saying for a while, I ordered my SR80s a few weeks back...of course I immediately saw a few things I maybe should've bought instead (MS-1s, egg0s, maybe even HD280s), and since I've been waiting three weeks now I also started getting worried about whether they'd arrive. So when they finally arrived today (along with a $14 tax bill and a $5 'handling fee', sigh) I was both apprehensive and relieved. So I told myself I'd burn 'em in righteously and self-denyingly overnight, plugged 'em into the Neuros and turned on British Sea Power. Of course, my willpower lasted all of thirty seconds or so, and...

bliss! instruments that sound like *instruments*, and in the plural at that! cymbals that don't go ting! general lack of nails-on-a-blackboard syndrome! The album no longer sounding like it was being played on an AM radio through a sock!

also, they feel terribly comfortable to me (but then, the only other big type headphones I've used are my dad's massive, clunky studio pair from the 70s...) and I feel like I want the headband *tighter* not looser. I must have a tiny head
smily_headphones1.gif

so, anyways, thanks a lot to head-fi, without all the knowledge I picked up here I'd probably be listening to Triports
wink.gif
. very happy with my new 'phones and will be taking 'em to the Vancouver mini-meet on Saturday, for any Vancouverites who want to hear the Grado sound and have their heads squished! now, about those egg0s...oh dear, there goes my wallet...
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
Wait until you try cans that are actually comfortable...

Beyerdynamic.
icon10.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #4 of 22
You appear to be untained by the head-fi plague. Ignore what other new cans people here suggest for you for a while - SR80s are great headphones. They are truely fantastic. Dont go thinking of the "next step" anytime soon because then you wont appreciate what you got.

Jan 27, 2005 at 9:58 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
now that you are happy with the sound you are getting, RUN AWAY! get away from this forum while you are happy and have a fat wallet!

I second that!!

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 22
aw, but I don't have anything *closed* yet. I'm getting dirty looks on the Skytrain already...hence the egg0 lust.
smily_headphones1.gif
Another thing I forgot to mention, now I really believe in the importance of the source - I always got the impression it was a tiny bit overblown, but no. The first thing I plugged the Grados into was the headphone jack on my speakers, since it was closest, and the sound blew - then I plugged 'em into the jack on the soundcard itself, that was substantially better, and finally I plugged them into the Neuros and it was better still. So I learned a) source is really, really important and b) either Soundstorm audio is *really* terrible (and not just moderately-terrible-compared-to-Emu) or the Neuros is surprisingly good.

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #9 of 22
Honestly, I should have ran away.

In the month of so I've been here, I've bought MS-2s, CM7s and a Porta Corda that I'm still waiting for. I was happy with my SR60s....but noooooooo!!

Now I'm thinking about a modded CD-25 and maybe a PPX3 for home.....luckly I have no money and those will have to wait.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

CURSE YOU HEAD-FI!!!!

Jan 27, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #10 of 22
enjoy your new cans, RUN dont walk, RUN away from this forum. Delete your bookmark, have amnesia in reguard to this site. You will only end up spending more and more and more. You will never be satified, EVER! However if you decide to come back, sorry about your wallet.

Jan 28, 2005 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 22
Well, apart from the egg0s, I'm also eyeing up the new SA1000s...mmm...tasty....and I think I just landed possibly the world's best part-time job, so I may be able to afford them.
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Jan 28, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
Well, apart from the egg0s, I'm also eyeing up the new SA1000s...mmm...tasty....and I think I just landed possibly the world's best part-time job, so I may be able to afford them.
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Seriously, compared to other headphones out there, eggos really SUCK.

I take back what I said. You have all the hallmarks of a future head-fi tragic.

Jan 28, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 22
hunter: well, they seem to have a love / hate thing about them (sounds like you're one of the hates :>), they do what I need (closed, vaguely portable), I can probably get a pair quite cheap, and it sounds like they'll certainly provide a contrast to the Grados. so I'll give 'em a try. can always sell them later.
smily_headphones1.gif
the other most commonly recommended closed phones - 280s, 25s etc - don't seem terribly portable, and I'm not gonna touch the px200s because I regard Dan of Dan's Data as something close to a deity and he didn't like 'em. so, eggos it is, I think.

Jan 29, 2005 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 22
johnjac: no, but no-one here sells 'em (Canada seems to be PX100 or PX250 only, weirdly) and I'm not getting into the whole 'buy things just to test them' area, life's too short. And no-one seems to think they sound *better* than the PX100s, even people who like 'em, so I just get the feeling they're not going to be good enough for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back