n00b audio guy needs new headphones, please help
Nov 30, 2014 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kayan

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of AKG K702 Anniversary headphones, and am looking for something new.

The k702s are comfy for about an hour and then start to place pressure on top of my head. Whatever I get, I want big OVER-EAR pads, and to be super comfortable.

I like the sound of the 702s, but would like something with a little bit more bass response.

I'll use them for MP3 (not really MP3, but rather lossless WMA and  use, and some gaming (portable and/or PC) as well. My desktop setup has a Fiio E09K paired with a Fiio E17. I'll be using the E17 as a portable AMP as well.

Music tastes are: modern rock, alternative, some electronic, hard rock, and a lil bit of old school hip hop.

I ordered a pair of HD650s from Amazon, on sale for 400 this past weekend, but am not sure that they are what I really should be getting (they aren't here yet). Any help you seasoned Head-Fi'ers can provide, would be much appreciated. Budget is between 4-500.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 4
Well seeing how know one replied to you, and its been 5 days you have probably realized you dont like the HD650 or maybe you do then thats good. I think that the best upgrade you could do for 4-500 that is similar to the K702 with a bit more bass response, to me would be the HE-400i, or maybe look up the mad dog or the alpha dog (599.99) which is a bit out of your price range but maybe you could find a good deal here on head-fi.

Andre

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 4
Well seeing how know one replied to you, and its been 5 days you have probably realized you dont like the HD650 or maybe you do then thats good. I think that the best upgrade you could do for 4-500 that is similar to the K702 with a bit more bass response, to me would be the HE-400i, or maybe look up the mad dog or the alpha dog (599.99) which is a bit out of your price range but maybe you could find a good deal here on head-fi.

Andre

Yeah, so I got them, and they are ok, I guess, but I don't love them. They are a tad more comfy than the 65th Anniversary ones, but I don't think they sound quite as good. I need to find somewhere nearby where I can listen to these headphones, or Amazon will cut off my returns capability. Anyway, I'll give the HE400i and possibly Alpha Dogs a shot.

Thanks for responding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back