Mytek Liberty DAC II discussion + impression
Aug 17, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #61 of 83
Hello Palucha,

I am still hearing the hiccups, even after installing the latest update (1.3.0-1). In my experience it would be very hard to spot if all one did was play music at 16 bit/44.1. However, the hiccups begin to show up when shuffling through a playlist at various bit/sample rate combinations. Do you have any solo piano (or solo anything) at something other than 16/44.1? If so, can you try playing that and reporting your findings back? For me, the hiccups are most noticeable on that type of recording, but less so (almost nonexistent) on 16/44.1 files.

~Mooyin
Thanks. I have tested it in deep, for me the LDAC2 is working fine with Toslink, still a kind of a problem from time to time.

Oct 12, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #62 of 83
Anybody knows the output voltage for the SE & XLR outputs?

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:33 AM Post #63 of 83
*BUMP*

Does anyone know how to keep the RCA output "on" while headphones are plugged in (Mine cuts RCA as soon as I plug them in)?

I've given up on trying to call Mytek. When I first bought the DAC in March, I spoke with them several times, but since August, I have not had an answer on either number. I must have tried twenty times...

Unfortunate that there is no support. This is a very good DAC :frowning2:

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #64 of 83
I emailed Mytek twice with a simple question; what is the single ended and balanced output level? They didn't respond.

Then i decided to email the European branch and they responded within 24 hours. Here's their (vague) answer which only partially answers the question since they didn't confirm if it applies to single ended, balanced or both, therefore they have another question in their queue. You would think such a basic specification would be included in the manual for God's sake!

"The max output at 0dB FS is 4.8V RMS"

On a positive note, i just took possession of this DAC yesterday and i think it is excellent!

Oct 21, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #65 of 83
I emailed Mytek twice with a simple question; what is the single ended and balanced output level? They didn't respond.

Then i decided to email the European branch and they responded within 24 hours. Here's their (vague) answer which only partially answers the question since they didn't confirm if it applies to single ended, balanced or both, therefore they have another question in their queue. You would think such a basic specification would be included in the manual for God's sake!

On a positive note, i just took possession of this DAC yesterday and i think it is excellent!
4,8VRMS is absolutely for balanced output. It might damage SE amps for which the standard level is about 2,1VRMS

Oct 21, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #66 of 83

Would you please post that European email address? Thanks

Oct 21, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #67 of 83
Oct 21, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #68 of 83
4,8VRMS is absolutely for balanced output. It might damage SE amps for which the standard level is about 2,1VRMS
You're probably right that 4.8V refers to the balanced output leading me to believe the single ended output is 2.4V

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #70 of 83
Thought I'd post my very recent experience with the Liberty DAC II. I purchased mine though the Roon store (and it included a year of Roon membership). It arrived quite quickly but was sort of dead on arrival (hold the power switch, the light show went though its dance, and then the unit shut down). Tried different power cords and various outlets, different USB cables, different headphones, other input sources. Same thing happened. Emailed customer service and got an immediate response back that was somewhat dismissive. Damian was the person who responded and his first comment was that he had tested my unit himself before shipment and it worked. He required that I send the unit back (they did provide the label to ship it back along with a "Repair Order Form.") I wrote to Damian and said I did not want my unit repaired, I want a functioning new unit. Apparently, when he tested the unit I had sent back, the unit acted just as I'd described. I was told that a new unit would be shipped directly from Poland. It arrived in about a week, so a total of 3 weeks to get the replacement unit (not terrible in the broad scheme of life). Of course, when I opened the box it arrived with a European power cord. I realized that while I have plenty of US to EU adapters, I didn't have any EU to US adapters and most of the cheap ones on Amazon didn't have a ground connection. But I did find a nice one there and all is well. In addition, Damian has said they would send a US power cord soon.

Sorry for the long story, but my opinion is that this is quite a step up from my audiophile beginner style start up with the JDS Labs Element II. I also have a Mojo 2 but haven't compared them yet (love the Mojo 2 and Poly but use it when traveling for the most part). Listening with my pre-stealth HiFi Ananda, Shure 846 (which I dearly love despite all the put downs of these IEMs), and my new Focal Bathys (very different sound form the Ananda and I like it). That's my story. Perhaps will have more when I've spent more time with my working Liberty DAC II, although I don't have the audiophile chops to make much of a contribution at this point.

Sandy

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #71 of 83
Thought I'd post my very recent experience with the Liberty DAC II. I purchased mine though the Roon store (and it included a year of Roon membership). It arrived quite quickly but was sort of dead on arrival (hold the power switch, the light show went though its dance, and then the unit shut down). Tried different power cords and various outlets, different USB cables, different headphones, other input sources. Same thing happened. Emailed customer service and got an immediate response back that was somewhat dismissive. Damian was the person who responded and his first comment was that he had tested my unit himself before shipment and it worked. He required that I send the unit back (they did provide the label to ship it back along with a "Repair Order Form.") I wrote to Damian and said I did not want my unit repaired, I want a functioning new unit. Apparently, when he tested the unit I had sent back, the unit acted just as I'd described. I was told that a new unit would be shipped directly from Poland. It arrived in about a week, so a total of 3 weeks to get the replacement unit (not terrible in the broad scheme of life). Of course, when I opened the box it arrived with a European power cord. I realized that while I have plenty of US to EU adapters, I didn't have any EU to US adapters and most of the cheap ones on Amazon didn't have a ground connection. But I did find a nice one there and all is well. In addition, Damian has said they would send a US power cord soon.

Sorry for the long story, but my opinion is that this is quite a step up from my audiophile beginner style start up with the JDS Labs Element II. I also have a Mojo 2 but haven't compared them yet (love the Mojo 2 and Poly but use it when traveling for the most part). Listening with my pre-stealth HiFi Ananda, Shure 846 (which I dearly love despite all the put downs of these IEMs), and my new Focal Bathys (very different sound form the Ananda and I like it). That's my story. Perhaps will have more when I've spent more time with my working Liberty DAC II, although I don't have the audiophile chops to make much of a contribution at this point.

Sandy
Glas to hear things were sorted out for you.
Please let us know how it compares to the Mojo2, i am very curious!

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #72 of 83
I did a side by side comparison of the Liberty DAC II with my Chord Mojo 2. Each was connected to my M1 MacBook Pro by Black Dragon USB-C cables and I used my HiFiMan Ananda open back planar magnet headphones for the testing. The DACs were fed using Roon and I switched between the Liberty and the Chord using the same GUCraftsman silver cable with a 6mm-3.5mm adapter on the Mojo. I used playlists I downloaded from the "Passion for Sound" Patreon channel with specific groupings like Bass Extension, Soundstage, Detailed, Harmonic Richness, Imaging and Separation as well as listening to some of my favorite rock and classical tracks. I applied no equalizer, listened entirely flat.

Caveats: I've never done this sort of side by side audio comparisons before. Also, I have 73 year-old ears with a documented high frequency deficit after many years playing bass in a loud rock band during my younger days.

The bottom line is that I had a hard time distinguishing between the two DAC/headphone amplifiers. I would listen to a track, believe I heard a little bit brighter cymbal with one, or a little more separation with the other, or a different sound stage, etc. But each time, when I'd go back to the other DAC, I'd say -- well no, they actually sound the same. In all honesty, it was mostly the Mojo 2 (at half the price of the Liberty) that seemed to have the briefly perceived edge over the Liberty. Perhaps a bit more separation, perhaps a bit more detail in the treble, perhaps a touch more bass extension. Their overall tonality and detail were remarkably similar. Just to be sure that my ears aren't so inexperienced that I don't have any ability to distinguish "good" from "bad", I did some listening using the JDS Element II that the Liberty has replaced. While the Element was still an enjoyable listen, it seemed 'closed-in' and presented some dips and emphasis along the frequency response that I didn't appreciate until comparing with the other two DACs.

That's about as much as I can say. Still not totally comfortable with all the adjectives used in many audiophile reviews I've seen that describe the tonal character and frequency response of DACs and headphones. I still hope this will be helpful.

Sandy

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #73 of 83
^Very interesting results indeed and probably not the best publicity for the LD2. I think the results of your assessment raises the status of the Chord Qutest even more for people trying to decide between the LD2 & Qutest - like i did. I had assumed the new power supply implementation of the LD2 would have the advantage over the cheap wallwart power supply of the Qutest but it sounds like even the Mojo2 is on par with the LD2 so that's saying a LOT!
Anyway, i'm still happy with the LD2 and would love to hear from anyone who directly compared it to the Qutest.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #75 of 83
My two cents...
The LD2 is an excellent DAC but only a pretty good headphone amp.
I run its XLR output into an Auris HA-2 SF which is a really great all tube headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back