Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Apr 29, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #481 of 818
I would strongly suggest a linear PS since the switching power supply in the mytek does not have high filtration and noise seems to be introduced.

You should experience more finesse and flow of the music.

I do find the Mytek products “not” offensive to the ears with nice balance in detail. I will still take tube or vinyl for more organic analog life to the music genre I listen too.

Music is subjective but adding “improvements” to clean power can usually reap better results.

I love my astron power supply. Seems to have great combo with my cheap Mytek liberty dac. I also use power conditioning. My power conditioner is substantially more expensive than the Mytek Brooklyn.

Audio is fun nice to have so enjoy the money Pit hobby.

Which model of the Astron are you running? I hadn't come across them until seeing your post and the pricepoint seems very good.

May 1, 2019 at 1:41 PM Post #483 of 818
Got a new Keces P8 LPS today and hooked it up the Brooklyn DAC +. I went into this not really expecting much change in sound, as I've always thought most of the audiophile advice on these forums is pretty much exaggerated and real differences are generally subtle. Besides, my setup already sounded great, so how much better could it really be?

Ummm....I'm a believer now! When people describe electrical noise that comes in through traditional power supplies, I assumed that if I couldn't hear it, then my AC mains must just be much cleaner than average. Nope. I get it now, I think for the first time I understand what is meant by 'black background', 'clarity', and 'bass punch'. The craziest thing is that my new (to me) Utopia has been giving me headaches and general fatigue after an hour or so, and I was afraid I was going to have to sell it. 2 hours in with the same setup but adding the P8 has completely removed all fatigue! I have no idea why, but I'll just be happy and not question why!

I have an UltraRendu coming tomorrow to complete my desktop setup. I bought that mostly for convenience reasons and don't expect any more sound improvements, it will allow me to access Roon without having to have my PC turned on (PC fans are a bit too noisy for ideal listening conditions).

20190501_120852.jpg

May 1, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #484 of 818
Got a new Keces P8 LPS today and hooked it up the Brooklyn DAC +. I went into this not really expecting much change in sound, as I've always thought most of the audiophile advice on these forums is pretty much exaggerated and real differences are generally subtle. Besides, my setup already sounded great, so how much better could it really be?

Ummm....I'm a believer now! When people describe electrical noise that comes in through traditional power supplies, I assumed that if I couldn't hear it, then my AC mains must just be much cleaner than average. Nope. I get it now, I think for the first time I understand what is meant by 'black background', 'clarity', and 'bass punch'. The craziest thing is that my new (to me) Utopia has been giving me headaches and general fatigue after an hour or so, and I was afraid I was going to have to sell it. 2 hours in with the same setup but adding the P8 has completely removed all fatigue! I have no idea why, but I'll just be happy and not question why!

I have an UltraRendu coming tomorrow to complete my desktop setup. I bought that mostly for convenience reasons and don't expect any more sound improvements, it will allow me to access Roon without having to have my PC turned on (PC fans are a bit too noisy for ideal listening conditions).

Congrats. Looks good. Happy that you are happy, but please dont repeat my mistake. Don't put anything on top of the Keces P8. Mine ran almost cold-to-warm for a while. So, I kept a Mytek Brooklyn and an SoTM tx-USBultra on top of the Keces. Then after a few months the Keces began running hot. You may damage your other components eventually even if it runs cold now.

May 1, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #485 of 818
Congrats. Looks good. Happy that you are happy, but please dont repeat my mistake. Don't put anything on top of the Keces P8. Mine ran almost cold-to-warm for a while. So, I kept a Mytek Brooklyn and an SoTM tx-USBultra on top of the Keces. Then after a few months the Keces began running hot. You may damage your other components eventually even if it runs cold now.

Thanks for the heads up! I just moved the Mytek off the top, the Keces will be going on a shelf under my desk all by itself.

May 1, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #486 of 818
RS-20M

Go to post #281 and read what I did. Very simple and sonic difference is enough to never use IEC AC cord.

Thanks! I hadn't read back that far before seeing one of your other posts on the Astron. Great info. Looks like the VS-12M might be a viable option too with the voltage adjustment on the front. Only difference is that peak is 12a @ 13.8v vs. 20a, but that should still be sufficient for the DAC+? Just saves a little tinkering inside. Do the rear power cable connectors also accept banana plugs? Looks like they might.

May 1, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #487 of 818
Thanks! I hadn't read back that far before seeing one of your other posts on the Astron. Great info. Looks like the VS-12M might be a viable option too with the voltage adjustment on the front. Only difference is that peak is 12a @ 13.8v vs. 20a, but that should still be sufficient for the DAC+? Just saves a little tinkering inside. Do the rear power cable connectors also accept banana plugs? Looks like they might.
The astron rs-20m is really noisy as far as the actual transformer buzzing... at least mine is. It was a waste of money. IMO. Would have rather just used it towards the sbooster. Luckily my dad (he’s an old tech) had a 3 amp variable linear psu that is dead quiet and I’m using that instead. The Astron is a paperweight unless I need 20 amps of Dc power at like 13 volts for something else.. (I don’t)

May 1, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #488 of 818
The astron rs-20m is really noisy as far as the actual transformer buzzing... at least mine is. It was a waste of money. IMO. Would have rather just used it towards the sbooster. Luckily my dad (he’s an old tech) had a 3 amp variable linear psu that is dead quiet and I’m using that instead. The Astron is a paperweight unless I need 20 amps of Dc power at like 13 volts for something else.. (I don’t)

The chassis can vibrate. I will say as far as external noise is concerned it's still less noisy than your standard laptop fan. I do use my Astron when I use my Mytek Liberty for background music or certain genre music with my 2 channel stereo. I certainly cannot hear any buzz from my Astron :)

I think sonically the Astron is not a waste of money. I think the Astron made a huge difference in SQ improvements for $219 CDN. The same power supply is about $135 USD!!!!! The Astron RS-20M is overkill in power and current for the tiny Mytek unit. If you do some research the DC noise level is extremely low from the Astron. Some hardcore hifi stereo guys (typically spending substantially more than headphone users) do appreciate clean dc power.

The price of this linear power supply is extremely reasonable. For the average joe it's easier to pull the $$$$ wallet out for self proclaimed hifi grade linear power supplies for easy convenience and for small form factor.

My observation is that the mytek brooklyn and + version or even my inexpensive Mytek Liberty dac sounds great if you want clarity with a nice open sound stage with no shrill. What I do find is when it comes to engagement in the music my Tube dac presents vocals with convincing realism massively in a different level from the Mytek. However my Tube dac is approximately over double the cost of the Mytek Brooklyn +. This is where in reality if budget allows we should be investing more money in the DAC and play with different headphones for different synergy. This is of course having a decent headphone amplifier.

One thing to note is if you are using headphones you cannot hear external noise from a low frequency buzz from a transformer. I do not hear any audible noise introduced into the CANS when using the Mytek DAC while feeding my Burson Virtuoso for experimentation.

I did some experimenting and if you isolate the Astron chassis with spike feet or even foam isolation pads the chassis becomes quieter.

I'm not justifying my Astron purchase. If I want real clean power I use my lithum 12 volt battery pack that sounds equally as well as the Astron. The differentiation is that 12V lithium pack has a finite listening session but in theory superior due to NO NOISE in the power DC line.

What is also interesting in the world of headfi is the lack of discussion on power conditioning or isolation transformer use. As noted with using a linear power supply....clean power makes a substantial difference. I feed my Astron power supply with my blue circle power conditioning setup and Furutech power cord.

The audio world is so subjective and interesting LOL!! We all have different priorities and preferences. Oddly I prefer portable gear at the moment. The Astell and Kern Norma and Campfire Andromeda has been my simple portable setup while commuting to work. Seldom touch headphones in home lately. Hifi 2 channel is more euphoric and engaging for me at the moment.

May 1, 2019 at 9:08 PM Post #489 of 818

No provisions for banana plugs. It's threads with a nut to secure the eyelet connector. If you do find a smaller current unit this may be smaller in form factor. These types of Power supplies are not like the wall wart style or linear packs like the Sbooster.

I've read article where someone tested a bunch of linear PS and he preferred the Astron over other linear power supplies that cost substantially more. My motto is to do thing on your own accord and do smart research. Impress your own personal ears.

May 15, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #491 of 818
Here is my final desktop setup (at least until my wallet heals). UltraRenda (not pictured, mounted under desk) out to Brooklyn DAC +, out to Pro iCAN in Tube mode, out to Utopia. Bought 2 monitor risers on Amazon for the stand, $35 USD each. Sounds great on most music, phenomenal on acoustic-based music. Streamed a bunch of hi-res Jack Johnson from Qobuz last night and was blown away at how great it was.

upload_2019-5-15_13-50-22.jpeg

May 16, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #492 of 818
Here is my final desktop setup (at least until my wallet heals). UltraRenda (not pictured, mounted under desk) out to Brooklyn DAC +, out to Pro iCAN in Tube mode, out to Utopia. Bought 2 monitor risers on Amazon for the stand, $35 USD each. Sounds great on most music, phenomenal on acoustic-based music. Streamed a bunch of hi-res Jack Johnson from Qobuz last night and was blown away at how great it was.

Great setup! Did you notice a big difference by adding the ICAN to the chain rather than going straight out from the Brooklyn Dac+? I assume so but could you try and describe the difference?

May 17, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #493 of 818
Great setup! Did you notice a big difference by adding the ICAN to the chain rather than going straight out from the Brooklyn Dac+? I assume so but could you try and describe the difference?

The biggest difference is when I use a notch or two of the Xbass feature with the Utopia, I find it fills in the bass profile of the Utopia perfectly for my tastes. I experimented a lot with SS vs. tube vs. tube+ mode, and I ended up with tube mode. Using solid state without additional Xbass is essentially the same as plugging in directly to the Brooklyn DAC + via the balanced cable. Tube + mode works really well for some thin-sounding recordings, but makes most of the stuff I listen to a bit too soft. Tube mode along with Xbass is the sweet spot for me, occasionally add a touch of 3D as well but mostly leave that turned off. Also, I have the gain set to 9db (middle setting).

Plugged in my Meze Noir and really didn't like the combo too much, but sounded pretty good on SS mode. Oddly, I prefer the Meze directly out of my LG V35 phone.

May 31, 2019 at 1:22 AM Post #495 of 818
I bought the Sbooster BOTW P&P ECO 12-13V MKII for the Brooklyn DAC+ but have encountered a problem. Whenever I add the Sbooster to the chain, my computer fails to recognize the Mytek. When I take the Sbooster out of the chain, it recognizes it again. What gives? Did I get a faulty Sbooster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back