Mytek Brooklyn Thread
Dec 17, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #91 of 818
Thanks. I have actually have used the built in phonostage. Clean, detailed, and precise. May be a bit lean for some but sounds very nice.

My Sutherland sounds better but if I didn’t hear it I would be very happy with the Brooklyn’s phono playback.
Beautiful turntable and nice phono amp + Nice isolation base and excellent cartridge choice!

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #92 of 818
Hey all, I'm pretty new to this forum and I just had some questions for anyone who has the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.

I am currently running a pair of Dynaudio Excite X14A into the DAC using XLR interconnecting cables. My source would be ROON/Tidal through my desktop computer.

I've read that setting the DAC on Bypass mode will allow the speakers to perform at its best. I've attempted this several times but each time I do, my speakers output at max volume and I was worried about blowing them out so I stopped trying.

I'm pretty noobie when it comes to what each function of the settings does. I'm not expertly rehearsed in the arts of audiophilia but I do enjoy good sounding speakers very much. If you can dish out any other tips/advice for my setup I'd greatly appreciate it! The type of music I've been listening to on these speakers have been predominantly EDM/Hip Hop music.

Cheers!

Jan 21, 2018 at 2:11 AM Post #93 of 818
I assume you have a power amp in there! Between the DAC and the speakers...

Something has to control the volume. If Roon controls it then you have to get the settings right before you turn off the control in the DAC. I use my DAC+ and control the volume with it. I have played a little bit with the digital control and the analog control in the DAC+ but I have no conclusion about audio quality.

Can you tell us more about the hardware in your system?

Jan 21, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #95 of 818
Yes this

Home theater bypass is not used for direct use to active speakers but to another preamp

You control volume the dac+

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #96 of 818
I assume you have a power amp in there! Between the DAC and the speakers...

Something has to control the volume. If Roon controls it then you have to get the settings right before you turn off the control in the DAC. I use my DAC+ and control the volume with it. I have played a little bit with the digital control and the analog control in the DAC+ but I have no conclusion about audio quality.

Can you tell us more about the hardware in your system?

OK My bad the x-14A (for amplified) so the DAC is direct to the speakers. You have to have some sort of volume control. The DAC + has three modes, (see their manual). One is a digital volume control the other is an analog volume control. But you can bypass the volume controls in the DAC and use something after it such as a pre-amp. The other possibility is to use the digital volume control in Roon. To me that is risky if you would run some other software on the PC you could have a full volume situation and blow up your speakers!

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #100 of 818
I just recently had a Brooklyn but did not keep it due to hiss on the headphone amp outputs. Does anyone have some low ohm headphones they could try? I could hear it with my 25 ohm headphones and extremely well with my 8 ohm earphones.

Did you adjust the gain with jumpers before giving up on it? I've read that will address the hiss issue.
upload_2018-2-3_10-16-58.png

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #101 of 818
Since this is the Mytek Brooklyn thread, I want to put an observation on record. My original Brooklyn was a black unit that the local dealer was using as a demo unit. I was looking for a silver unit so the dealer let me have the Black Brooklyn unit my silver unit came in. Upon plugging in the new Brooklyn I was surprised that it sounded brighter and more congested than my original DAC. I wrote part of it off to having front to back, new, Lavricable's silver cables. Interconnects, USB and Headphones. All were XLR. There were two things going on. The Silver cables were bright and not broken in. The DAC also seemed to not have the smooth sound that I was previously experiencing. Well, three weeks later the DAC is showing a definite improvement and it's getting better as time goes on. I also replaced the headphone cable with a Moon Audio Black Dragon that I had. Well, BOOM the depth and smoothness I was enjoying was back. I'll still use the silver headphone cables with my Violectric V281 where it seems to be a good match. For now the Copper based Black Dragons sound much better. Let's see what another few weeks do in terms of a break in period.

Agreed - it takes quite a bit of beak in before it sounds its best. Must be warmed up sufficiently, too. Though, thankfully, not as much Naim gear, LOL!

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #102 of 818
Not saying I can hear a difference, but some say they can. On a different DAC that has a Distortion Compensation feature, I prefer to have that enabled when playing MQA. Just sayin'.

Personally I usually prefer Qobuz over Tidal, and managed to subscribe from the US. A large portion of the Qobuz catalog streams in hi-res.

"Distortion Compensation"? What's that?

Feb 3, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #103 of 818
my experience is a little different regarding 2 channel performance. I went from an Yggy to Brooklyn and immediately noticed a shrinking of the soundstage almost like the sound only emanated from the area between the speakers (the imaging wasn't as detailed either). needless to say I was disappointed. having made the bump from original Brooklyn to the + has restored the imaging and sound stage to wear I experience a greater width, depth and height to the sound field projected from my speakers. I cant say if it is equal to or better (stage and imaging) than Yggy. all I can say is it is better in all aspects to the original

the only change in my system involved the DAC only. all other components including power supplies and wires remain unchanged from Yggy till now

I'm curious as to how long you had the original Brooklyn. Mine took many hours of 24/7 power on and listening before blossoming into its own glory. Initially, I was quite underwhelmed. Now, I'm thinking of ditching my Marantz Reference SA-10 in favor of the Brooklyn. In fairness, the Brooklyn is being fed via coax from a Juil@ while the SA-10 is getting USB straight off the motherboard. The SA-10 is huge; the extra space to be gained by ditching it is a positive, but I'll still need an SACD player...

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #104 of 818
the original Brooklyn had approx. 200 hours. I have music playing in my office constantly so my desktop rig gets a work out. I have my Yggy also and am trying to decide if I should do the analog board upgrade. I don't have a use case that would make it a have to do it now proposition. Months later and I will stand by my statement regarding the 2 Brooklyn's. To my ear the Brooklyn + wins out of the original. Once I get Yggy updated I will have a chance to compare it against the + again and see if there is any I can notice

Feb 3, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #105 of 818
"Distortion Compensation"? What's that?

Recent ESS DAC chips are designed to compensate for the total harmonic distortion (THD) caused by the chips' analog outputs. As I understand it (and I understand very little of this), newer generations of these chips have improved abilities to null these problems out to at least the second and third harmonics. The latest generation allows developers to design a way for users to manually turn some or all of this on or off, but in the Brooklyn/Brooklyn+ I don't think there's any way for end users to play with this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back