MYSPHERE 3.1 "FAQ's"
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #136 of 142

jamesjames

100+ Head-Fier
@jamesjames which Phonitor amp are you using? The original higher output impedance one sounds great too at Casa Buchanan.
I notice you have the AKG K812. Much under-rated headphones I think. I had a pair for many years, and thought they really were impressive. It's nice to see someone else might agree!

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #137 of 142

John Buchanan

500+ Head-Fier
I notice you have the AKG K812. Much under-rated headphones I think. I had a pair for many years, and thought they really were impressive. It's nice to see someone else might agree!
They are a terrific headphone IMHO. No sign of the supposed treble sting at Casa Buchanan, and rather elegant construction, although I would have preferred a bilateral headphone connection so that balanced connection could be used as well. This is not considered a point against it, however, as the sound is so good anyway.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #138 of 142

jamesjames

100+ Head-Fier
They are a terrific headphone IMHO. No sign of the supposed treble sting at Casa Buchanan, and rather elegant construction, although I would have preferred a bilateral headphone connection so that balanced connection could be used as well. This is not considered a point against it, however, as the sound is so good anyway.
Certainly elegant! A true classic.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #139 of 142

jamesjames

100+ Head-Fier
As someone who has now owned the MySphere 3.2 for some time, I think it's worth touching on a point which probably doesn't get the focus it deserves. And that's the importance of experimenting with the position of the ear frames. I've seen some discussion about opening or closing the frames to taste, but much less about movement of the frames up and down the headband. And, for me, this latter adjustment has been crucial. I found this effectively controls the underlying character - in terms of relative levels of high frequency energy - which can then be further refined by opening or closing the frames. It took me some time to realize I couldn't achieve what I feel is a natural frequency balance - however open or closed the frames were - until I had the frames further down the headband than had initially felt right on my head. Also, sitting the headband slightly further back on my head than my starting point made a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these adjustments are very much a matter of personal taste - but I don't think that diminishes the point that they seem to be crucial to getting the most out of these phones. In my case, experimenting with seemingly fine adjustments (which now seem very natural and comfortable on my head) transformed performance in ways I really didn't expect. In particular, I've discovered the 3.2 has much more in terms of low frequency extension and mid frequency richness than I had thought possible. I really would encourage anyone who has these phones to persist with positioning experiments - in my experience it really does pay-off. I think they're staggeringly good if you take the time to adjust them.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #140 of 142

John Buchanan

500+ Head-Fier
As someone who has now owned the MySphere 3.2 for some time, I think it's worth touching on a point which probably doesn't get the focus it deserves. And that's the importance of experimenting with the position of the ear frames. I've seen some discussion about opening or closing the frames to taste, but much less about movement of the frames up and down the headband. And, for me, this latter adjustment has been crucial. I found this effectively controls the underlying character - in terms of relative levels of high frequency energy - which can then be further refined by opening or closing the frames. It took me some time to realize I couldn't achieve what I feel is a natural frequency balance - however open or closed the frames were - until I had the frames further down the headband than had initially felt right on my head. Also, sitting the headband slightly further back on my head than my starting point made a big difference. I wouldn't be surprised to find that these adjustments are very much a matter of personal taste - but I don't think that diminishes the point that they seem to be crucial to getting the most out of these phones. In my case, experimenting with seemingly fine adjustments (which now seem very natural and comfortable on my head) transformed performance in ways I really didn't expect. In particular, I've discovered the 3.2 has much more in terms of low frequency extension and mid frequency richness than I had thought possible. I really would encourage anyone who has these phones to persist with positioning experiments - in my experience it really does pay-off. I think they're staggeringly good if you take the time to adjust them.
Totally agree with you regarding height adjustment - haven't tried altering where the headband sits on my head too much, as it seems to sit most comfortably only in one position. Taking care that the headphone ear capsules are angulated out/in exactly the same on each side cured a very slight L/R imbalance as well. So many ways to adjust these beautiful headphones.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #141 of 142

hrklg01

Member of the Trade: Mysphere
AKG K1000 developer
Totally agree with you regarding height adjustment - haven't tried altering where the headband sits on my head too much, as it seems to sit most comfortably only in one position. Taking care that the headphone ear capsules are angulated out/in exactly the same on each side cured a very slight L/R imbalance as well. So many ways to adjust these beautiful headphones.
You both are totally right!
The sound impression of MYSPHERE 3 differ much depending on the positioning relative to the human ear.
The reason for this effect is, that this unique headphone use a very special membrane design which devide the surface in almost three sections. Whereas the smallest one in the center transmit the most part of the high frequencies.
The advantage of this design is, that the effective moving masses are small for high frequencies.
But this design lead also into a very unipolar sound pattern (like a ball) not a lane sound wave. This and the fact that the membrane is very close to the ear, makes it necessary to position the sound frames very individual on the head and play around shifting up and down and for-and backwards.
Once you find the optimal position (and depending on the ears it must not be on both sides mechanically the same), best to mark or rember the posiion on the scales.
The pressure points on the head normally your brain remember well...
BR heinz

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #142 of 142

Kiats

Headphoneus Supremus
You both are totally right!
The sound impression of MYSPHERE 3 differ much depending on the positioning relative to the human ear.
The reason for this effect is, that this unique headphone use a very special membrane design which devide the surface in almost three sections. Whereas the smallest one in the center transmit the most part of the high frequencies.
The advantage of this design is, that the effective moving masses are small for high frequencies.
But this design lead also into a very unipolar sound pattern (like a ball) not a lane sound wave. This and the fact that the membrane is very close to the ear, makes it necessary to position the sound frames very individual on the head and play around shifting up and down and for-and backwards.
Once you find the optimal position (and depending on the ears it must not be on both sides mechanically the same), best to mark or rember the posiion on the scales.
The pressure points on the head normally your brain remember well...
BR heinz
Agree @hrklg01. After some time of experimentation, I now know where it should sit on the scales. After that, it’s really listening and small adjustments on the head. Once you hit the sweet spot, you can tell instantaneously! :)

Users who are viewing this thread