My Yuin PK3 hurts! :((
Mar 20, 2008 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sparrows78

New Head-Fier
After reading the endless praising of the yuin line I bought the PK3's. The sound is awsome - the fit is not.
The upper end of the bud is pushing against my ear and starts hurting within seconds after insertion.
If I push the bud into the ear the sound gets fuller, more defined and better in all aspects - but it hurts even more! It seems like the diameter of the bud is just too big for my ears.
This problem is giving me crazy ideas of physically modding the pk3's plastic shell... If the diameter was smaller it would fit deeper into the ear - thus creating better seal - without any pain!
What's your thoughts about this? Any ideas on how to mod it without damaging the drivers?
All input is appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you using the foam pads?

Yes, it hurts either way...

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #4 of 14
I guess my ears are unusually small - the design of the PK3 suggests a tighter fit than I'm able to get without pain. If I was able to slightly reduce the size of the upper end of the bud (with, let's say, a dremel) I might be able to snug it tighter into place - without any discomfort. My only fear is that the driver will be damaged...

Mar 20, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 14
No, I'm using it as a regular earphone. There is a part of the outer ear, that pushes against the upper part of the bud, no matter how i twist and turn it.

Mar 20, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Wow, that's too bad. As you said, your ear must be either smaller or shaped a little differently.

I don't know if he will know, but you might want to PM 4ki about modding the case on your PK3s. He has taken his apart and is looking for spare parts. He should know how much adjustment you can make with a dremel.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 14
My wife cannot use the PK3s either as her ears are too tiny. Sorry guy.

Mar 20, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aimless1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, that's too bad. As you said, your ear must be either smaller or shaped a little differently.

I don't know if he will know, but you might want to PM 4ki about modding the case on your PK3s. He has taken his apart and is looking for spare parts. He should know how much adjustment you can make with a dremel.

Thanks for the advice - I will PM him and see what can be done!

I'm glad this forum exists - in "the real world" people would just think you're a lunatic when you're whining about a hurting cheap-looking earbud...
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 14
That is the problem with all earbuds here too. Ironically, PK3 are the first earbuds that fit without trouble (and not much pain - they still irritate by pressing the earshell somewhat). Many other earbuds are much worse - they're either too small (some old Koss stuff) and fall out, or too large and too hurting (AKG K-12P).

Mar 21, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #11 of 14
ran into this same problem when i first got my pk2's. Think my ears just got used to them because now there are no comfort issues. Just play around with them for a little while. As unnatural as it sounds, your ears will probably adapt to them

Mar 21, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #12 of 14
This is what I'm worrying about when thinking of buying the PK series. The ibuds are the perfect size for me without foams. Any bigger than that and it's a no-go. Could someone measure the width of the pk3 with a pair of calipers and tell me how wide they are?
cool.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Punnisher I put my pk3's up to my ibuds a few days ago out of curiosity and they are basically the same shape and size, though the ibuds may be a very very tiny bit bigger.

I personally never had any problems with the pk3's I love them. However mine died recently and I am temporarily using the sony 828's which stink, and they hurt like hell because the earbud is so huge compared to the pk3's. I don't see how anyone could have ears too small for the pk3 becase if you did the sony's probably wouldn't even fit in your ear. They have an off circular design with a bump out that goes right where the pk3's supposedly cause pain so they would be hell.

Apr 4, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 14
I recently picked up the PK1s and had the same problem with the fit--just couldn't get them in far enough to get decent sound. If you're not afraid of looking somewhat like a dork, try this: wear them sideways and upside down. What I mean is turn them so that the drivers are facing forward and then run the cord around the back of your ears (Shure style). If you do it right, there should be a dramatic improvement in both comfort and sound. Be sure to take the foam off when you do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back