My X5 Hardware clicks when I plug & unplug 1/8 stereo jack in both headphones and line outs.
Dec 4, 2014 at 1:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rhaaa

New Head-Fier
UPDATE
Got an answer from FiiO.It's all normal relays sound as Marlene said (thanks again). It's covered in the complete user manual. Page 23.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0362/2465/files/X5_User_Guide-EN.pdf

Hi,
I'm recently got a X5 as a gift and I'm having a minor but perplexing issue with it.

When the device hasn't been used for a couple of hours, I ear two clear "clicks" INSIDE the device (akin to a Hard drive click)
when I plug or unplug a stereo 1/8 trs jack in both Headphones and line outs when a file is curently playing (or paused).

The clicks only hapen when pluging and unplugging the jack.
They come from inside the device.
I do not ear them in the heaphones / speakers , it's not in the signal itself.
I does not happen if no file is currently playing / paused.

Other than that I have absolutely no issues. I'm just worried something is wrong in the internals.

You can ear the clicks here (wav on google drive)

I first plug in the jack.
then
at .850 sec the first click
at 3.6 sec the second click

I unplug the jack aroud 8sec and the 2 clicks starting at 9.6 sec.

Recorded with an olympus LS10 at 1cm of the Fiio X5.

Any thoughs? I haven't received and answer from Fiio yet .

- rhaaa

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 6
I remember reading about this somewhere on these forums. I forgot what the clicks mean, but I can assure you it's normal to hear the clicks. Both of the X5's I've had did the same thing.

Dec 4, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi, all I can find is about the sd card clicking in.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/726631/does-the-micro-sd-card-click-into-the-fiio-x5

But my clicks happen after plugging/unplugging headphones or line out. And only when a song is playig or paused. Weird.

Dec 4, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 6
The X5 and X3 use a relay to mute or unmute any analogue output. Meaning: when you unplug your headphone/line out cable, the relay mutes either output.
These relays are mechanical, so you hear a click when unplugging. You should also have these clicks when you switch your X5 on or off. You might know a relay alread from big, stationary amplifiers which use it for muting the loudspeaker outputs when switched on. FiiO and those amps do this to prevent audible and - on occasion - dangerous pops.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Thank you very much. So it's the same as when I turn on my 70s stereo receiver? A mechanical click from a relay then sigal is outputed. They are loud clicks for such a small device. Should I be worried of my relays' condition? The X5 is brand new.

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thank you very much. So it's the same as when I turn on my 70s stereo receiver? A mechanical click from a relay then sigal is outputed. They are loud clicks for such a small device. Should I be worried of my relays' condition? The X5 is brand new.

Yes, it´s the same technology from your stereo receiver. You don´t need to worry, I think. My X3 also clicks fairly loud; so did the touring-X5 I had for a week half a year ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back