My Windows XP is COMPLETELY fracked!
Mar 29, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #16 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What has hardware failure got to do with the OS war?

I don't see how the symptoms of lag and whatnot are a hardware failure. Sounds like an OS failure, with problems with drivers, or something. Hardware failure= it wouldn't work very well, if at all.

Mar 29, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #18 of 73
Start by checking your Device Manager / IDE Controllers / Primary controller / Properties / Advanced Settings / DMA Mode. Make sure that the HDD is operating in DMA - Windows will automatically depreciate a drive's DMA mode if the drive fails to respond within normal timeouts. It it is not operating in DMA mode delete all IDE controllers from the system then reboot to allow a redetect.

Check your Event Viewer for system notifications of problems - hopefully you won't have any drive warnings.

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start by checking your Device Manager / IDE Controllers / Primary controller / Properties / Advanced Settings / DMA Mode. Make sure that the HDD is operating in DMA - Windows will automatically depreciate a drive's DMA mode if the drive fails to respond within normal timeouts. It it is not operating in DMA mode delete all IDE controllers from the system then reboot to allow a redetect.

Check your Event Viewer for system notifications of problems - hopefully you won't have any drive warnings.

Is there a way to get into Device Manager without being in windows?

Mar 29, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #20 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How come it works completely fine in Ubuntu then? I think its something to do with just the Windows partition...

Let's say that you use XP 90% of the time and Ubuntu the other 5%. Your XP partition will have way more read/writes to the disk, therefore more of a chance of sectors going bad on that partition. If that's the case then the Ubuntu installation would still work fine b/c it wouldn't have bad sectors on that partition.

On the other hand your XP installation could have a corrupt registry or currupt system files. You could try doing a repair installation of XP with your XP install CD. Though with doing this you might have to re-install some drivers/software/updates. If another thorough checkdisk doesn't work then this might be the route to go. And if this doesn't work then you'll need a new hard drive and a good recovery program if you want to get most of your files back.

Details on the repair installation here: Perform a Repair Installation

Quote:

Is there a way to get into Device Manager without being in windows?

No, but can you boot into safe mode? If you can then it might just be a driver conflict. It doesn't really sound like a conflict though, but it can't hurt to rule it out first.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't love you anymore.

Meh. The only difference between a PC running windows and a PC running OSX is the operating system....

And if I wanted to run an OS that none of my applications worked in, I would choose Linux.

Ok, I'll give it a Chkdsk... Problem is they take ages, and there's nothing on TV tonight. Curses!

I think this has happened once before as well... My Windows XP installed got completely screwed up and nothing worked. Was very slow also. I just reformatted it and it's worked good up until now. Is there any way to prevent something like this happening again?

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #22 of 73
It sounds like a hardware failure, but I have had similar symptoms before due to a corrupted xp install, which was the result of pushing that button also, and is now the reason why I am running windows 7. I would advise reinstalling before jumping to spending cash on a new hard drive. Is your computer custom built?

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #23 of 73
You know, it could be something to do with paging, in linux there is a separate partition reserved for swapping, but in windows it's just a file, and it could be that this file is somehow being written to a few bad sectors as your installation grows to fill up more and more of the disk. Reformatting and installing windows again would fix this for a time until the install grows to a certain point.

Luckily for you, new hard drives are very cheap nowadays!

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 73
The last few replies don't sound like hardware issues at all. Paging screws up your HD? And the solution is "reformat and reinstall"? Ugh. Good luck.

Mar 29, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #25 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It sounds like a hardware failure, but I have had similar symptoms before due to a corrupted xp install, which was the result of pushing that button also, and is now the reason why I am running windows 7. I would advise reinstalling before jumping to spending cash on a new hard drive. Is your computer custom built?

Yes, my pc is custom built. I do not want to reinstall again, since I'm going to have to do that again when Windows 7 comes out. Speaking of which, is the beta really stable enough to be used as a primary operating system?

Damn, I'm really enjoying Ubuntu. It's so quick and speedy, and customizable too. If only it was good for gaming...

Only issue I have is that I can't access my windows drive (and my other file storage drive) since they don't want to be mounted because they haven't been unmounted properly in Windows and it says they're still in use... Anyone have any experience with this?

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #26 of 73
Quote:

Meh. The only difference between a PC running windows and a PC running OSX is the operating system....

And if I wanted to run an OS that none of my applications worked in, I would choose Linux.

I didn't say you had any good reasons to join the side of the angels. But this is a deal-breaker. I want my ring back.

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 73
Quote:

Yes, my pc is custom built. I do not want to reinstall again, since I'm going to have to do that again when Windows 7 comes out. Speaking of which, is the beta really stable enough to be used as a primary operating system?

Only issue I have is that I can't access my windows drive (and my other file storage drive) since they don't want to be mounted because they haven't been unmounted properly in Windows and it says they're still in use... Anyone have any experience with this?

I wouldn't use the beta of Windows 7 for your primary because its still a beta and you may not be able to game with it depending on your vid card.

In order to mount the HDD from windows in Ubuntu after it says that is to restart windows and shutdown properly. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Mar 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Damn, I'm really enjoying Ubuntu. It's so quick and speedy, and customizable too. If only it was good for gaming...

From what I've read it's extremely stable. A few of my friends have it installed and it seems really nice, enough so that I haven't seen why it couldn't be a final release really.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't use the beta of Windows 7 for your primary because its still a beta and you may not be able to game with it depending on your vid card.

And any fairly recent ATI or NVIDIA graphics card should have no problem gaming on it, in fact ATI already has official windows 7 drivers. But pretty much all vista drivers work perfectly with it from what I've seen/read.
The only problem I can remember seeing for gaming on it is that Punkbuster doesn't support the beta; so if you play games that use punkbuster online a lot (CoD4 and I think Crysis for online play), then it's probably not a good idea for the time being.

Ubuntu is nice too, I would probably also be using Linux if it was good for gaming. Unfortunately I don't have enough experience with it to help with your mounting problems. Sorry.

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #29 of 73
i loved the big NO!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #30 of 73
fraseyboy, I would boot your xp in recovery mode, this should mount the partition properly, and so when you shutdown it will unmount completely, and this should let ubuntu mount it.

Alternatively, you can use mount on the command line with -f (i.e. force it to mount read only) like so:

Quote:

sudo mount -f /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

However, full disclosure, I've never had to use -f.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back