My wife is getting me custom IEM's. but which ones?
Dec 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

wakdady

New Head-Fier
I've been wanting custom IEM's for some time now. specifically when I go for motorcycle rides (typical in ears fall out when putting helmet on and generally don't fit very well). My 325i's and DT770 Pro do just fine at home. So for my 30th birthday she said she's going to get me custom ones. 
The budget is small, say $500 tops, but prefer less.

I can't seem to find any reviews of the Maestroz SD out there. They seem like a real bargain although i don't like the idea of hardwired cables.
Then there's the Sleek Audio CT6, can't seem to find much on those either.

Can I please get some input on both of these models and possibly any other brands in my price range?

I listen to a lot of Trance/house/progressive followed by classic rock and classical. So yes, i do like my bass, but not like a pair of Dr Dre's beats or anything.

any input from the head-fi community is greatly appreciated!!!!

Dec 6, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Thousand Sound LS842, Dream Ears, or how bout the new dual driver Livewires for $249

Dec 7, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #3 of 14
nobody has any helpful insight?
those livewires posted above had some company issues from what i've read lately.

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #4 of 14
Dec 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
I don't think it's safe to have iems in your ear while you're driving......

Quote:
I definitely agree! Not being able to hear anything happening around you while driving is a serious no-no.

thanks for the help with the decision on the IEM's.
So i guess putting earplugs in is a no-no too?
And all those racing drivers with custom IEM's listening to their crew chiefs, oh the horror!

but then again, chances are you don't ride. or do you?

Dec 7, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #9 of 14
I understand where both you are coming from. I do ride and I understand all about wind noise, but earplugs don't block out all the noise. With my customs I can not hear anything around me while listening to music. However you are an adult and it is not peoples place to tell you to listen or not while riding. I have worn my customs while riding but never felt comfortable doing so as I could not hear a dang thing.

I dont think the jh5 have enough bass in all music. They are a fairly flat iem. If you are into bass I say try and find a quad driver that has 2 low end drivers.

Quote:

And all those racing drivers with custom IEM's listening to their crew chiefs, oh the horror!

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:

No, I do not ride. I will admit that.

But, please do not tell me that having earplugs in your ears while driving is the same as having customs playing music in your ears as you drive. Earplugs reduce the amount of noise you hear. Customs, with music playing, completely seal off all noise.

You may feel comfortable not being able to hear anything while on the road, but what about those around you? How safe do you think they will feel if they knew you couldn't hear a darn thing?

Dec 7, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:

No, I do not ride. I will admit that.

But, please do not tell me that having earplugs in your ears while driving is the same as having customs playing music in your ears as you drive. Earplugs reduce the amount of noise you hear. Customs, with music playing, completely seal off all noise.

You may feel comfortable not being able to hear anything while on the road, but what about those around you? How safe do you think they will feel if they knew you couldn't hear a darn thing?

ha! okay, you're right. i knew that as i typed my original response. yes, earplugs and earphones are completely different. this is always an ongoing discussion in the motorcycle forums. i typically do not listen to music, especially when commuting. BUT, taking a long trip requires music, period. i went to death valley for a week on my bike, out in the cuts where no one will hear you scream. sometimes you just need music, and you don't care if it's illegal or not.

i'm going to look into those JH-5's.

Dec 7, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 14
As much as I disagree in general with biking with music - if you are really in an area with no one miles and miles around you - I suppose it can't hurt.

Dream Earz actually has a line of customs just for biking:

http://motorcycleearz.com/

Please do though, exercise extreme caution.

Dec 7, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #14 of 14
Maybe Get a custom with an ambient vent and a plug to close the vent? This might be safer if u are riding cause u can have the ambient vent open and hear what's outside but if u just want isolation use the plug. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back