My Westone 4 impressions
May 13, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #31 of 33
I'm still experimenting with your original curve. Currently trialing a smaller dip at 7k and boosted just before and after. The treble is now reminding me somewhat of my JVC's. Probably not neutral but sounds more present and engaging. I'm using Sony hybrid tips.

May 16, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #32 of 33
Quote:
Okay, I did some testing, and I'm now a believer. The peak resonance in the upper-mids and the treble are the most significant changes. With the Triple-flange that has only the stalk cut off, the upper-mids are much more tame and does not require that cut at 7KHz, while the treble is also softer as well (this is comparing to triple-flange with the smallest flange and the stalk cut off). The EQ curve I use now for the triple-flange (stalk cut off) is this:

The largest comply grey sticky foam tips are also good, but I hate any kind of foam tips where you have to wait for it to expand for a seal. It's just an extra step that's kind of annoying. If I'm out and about, and every few minutes someone wants to say something to me, I'd have to pull out one ear, talk to the person, and then put it back in and then wait for the damn foam to expand. After doing that a few times, it's just too much. The silicon tips are far more convenient.

The hard semi-transparent tips I just can't use at all. Never was able to get them to sit right in the ear or seal properly, even as far back as my Shure E4C days. I don't know why companies even include those because I really wonder if anyone uses those at all.

It's good that you found tips that work well. Your results with the triple-flange and grey foam tips are in agreement with the data at Goldenears.net. I also find the Comply foam tips inconvenient, but they kill the resonance peaks all the time. I usually wear the comfortable grey silicone tips and just tolerate the sound (doable for me because the problem isn't at 7 kHz).

I'd like to see how the triple-flange tips affect your EQ settings for the SE535. But before you do that, check the output impedance of the Samson C-Control. Headphone amplifiers in pro audio equipment often have high output impedance. It's usually not a problem with studio headphones like HD650, 7506, M50, or the LCD-2, which is pretty much a 50-ohm resistor. But a high output impedance will color the sound of balanced armature IEMs. For example, I measured 58 ohms for the Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro's headphone output. It sounds fine with most full-size studio headphones, but it's a disaster with BA IEMs. The SE535 impedance is 25 ohms below 200Hz, 40 ohms at 1.3kHz, and 10 ohms at 5.5kHz. If you plug this into the Mackie, the output at 1.3kHz will be 3 dB higher than the bass, and a whopping 9dB higher than the output at 5.5kHz.

If the C-Control has high output impedance, it could be why you're hearing excessive midrange response from the SE535. I don't know how it will affect the W4 without impedance vs. frequency data. The EQ settings that you're showing us might be for a system that doesn't deliver a flat electrical response to the IEMs.

May 16, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #33 of 33
I only use IEM's with portable players like iDevices and Creative Zen, and I duplicate my EasyQ settings with with them (on iDevices with the Equalizer app). To my ears, they sound similar enough that I really don't bother going a step further. My main critical listening is with my music productions, and that's where I prefer to spend my time. With portable listening, as long as it doesn't do any real harm, I can tolerate some coloration.

I tried the SE535 with other tips, but that general upper-mid forward sound is still evident, even if the tips do make some difference. I'm just going to let my SE535 go, so someone else who favors that sonic signature can enjoy them. I've already sold me W3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back