my wallet feels a bit overweight...
Aug 12, 2006 at 5:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

feh1325

Headphoneus Supremus
what should be my next upgrade? sorry if this is the wrong forum. i wanted to post it here because this is busiest forum here at headfi.

i'll also include a bit of my history because i have time to kill. if you don't want to read...go to the last lines

when i was first interested in audio stuff, i was using a 4G 20gig monochrome ipod with the stock buds or a pair of sony clip ons with files at 320 kbps mp3.

my first purchase...ilounge induced...was a pair of sony ex51 and i loved them so much, i bought a second pair. my next purchase...half headfi half ilounge induced...was a pair of shure e3g. i thought they were okay, but not worth the 125
frown.gif
and that made me a sad panda.

so i thought i'd get an amp. my purchase of a pa2v2 from gary was sort of an impluse. my bought a pair of koss ksc75 at around the time my amp came. that combo still makes me smile a bit.

then i hid my money for a while to purchase something nice. i was about to get the alessandro ms1...but ended up buying the ms2 followed by two pairs of hd414 pads from sennheiser.

my last two purchases were from the forums here at headfi. i got a silver tinned copper core mini interconnect and most recently, a grado adaptor. i had been using a cheap ratshack adaptor which cause terrible stress on my jack then use a splitter to reduce its stress.

history lesson ends here

so i'm listening to queen right now out of my alessandro ms2 with hd414 pads, a grado adaptor, pa2v2 amp, silver tinned copper core audiolineout, no line out, and a 4G ipod. i think a pocket dock lineout got lost in mail. so if that doesn't come, i might try again with the pocketdock or buy a turbodock.

i like the grado sound.

my music tastes changes seasonally but stays within the genre of rock. i don't like rap and don't have much classical music.

i guess i want to keep my setup portable, but if something is really great and stationary, i'll consider.

and my budget...less than $200 USD, i have only cash and maybe money order...

thanks for reading and in advanced for suggestions!

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Your rig should sound very good already. Buy more music, perhaps?

With US$200, you might be able to go for a used RS-2 if you sell the MS2. Or sell the Pocket Amp and go for another amp.

Here's one of my favorite portable/mobile rigs (click to view).

I suggest saving the money, and continue to enjoy your current rig.
cool.gif

Aug 12, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah, sometimes you have to wonder...Why take all these incremental steps to the top and set myself back each time by buying these 'mid-step' items?

Due to my evil parents, I am now forced to save up my money until I'm at college and from there could buy stuff online = \

Brick-and-mortar stores just don't offer the best stuff for the best prices.

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #4 of 9
Like the slow steps up personally. You get to see what a little bit of money can net you. I also love to make side steps, not spending any money only trading to hear new sounds.

I think my next pair is going to be some Grado's.

Aug 12, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Saying "My wallet's a bit overweight" around here is like an alcoholic saying "Please enroll me in the Microbrew Sample-an-Hour club".

How's this - sell off whatever you don't like, sell the 20GB iPod and then upgrade to the 60GB? That way you get more of what you really want - more music - and / or you can use lower compression (or no compression) if you want that, too.

Then buy lots more music and have fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 13, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme
hey no worries, at least youre blowing this money on yourself... instead of on a chick who can screw you over later down the line
k1000smile.gif

Or just screw.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back