My visit to the William Ralston high-end music listening room at The University of the South in Sewanee
May 19, 2011 at 10:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Skylab

Reviewerus Prolificus
Some of you may have read about this room in Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/road-trip-0

The University of the South is a small, mainly liberal-arts college in Tennessee.  It so happens that my Father taught there for more than 30 years (he is now semi-retired and teaches there part-time).  So on a recent visit to my parents, I was fortunate enough to be able to visit this room.  My Dad is himself an audiophile, and it is because of him that I am as well. My Dad's own system is truly outstanding - Magnepan 1.7's, Audio by VanAlstine tube eletronics, VPI/Benz analog, Marantz/Assemblage digital.  So he, my brother (also an audio-nut) and I went to check out the room.

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pics:

1. My kids in front of one very small part of the vinyl collection:

2. Me next to the mighty Wilson Audio Alexandrias:

3. TWO turntables, and some of the Ayre electronics:

The system is anchored by the massive Wilson Alexandria speakers, driven by all high-end Ayre electronics.  The analog front end is the primary source, and there are two turntables - a Bauer DPS-150 with Koetsu Corralstone cartridge, and also a VPI Classic which had an Audio Technica OC-9 on it at the time, although it was switched out while we were there with a Japanese mono cartridge so we could play a mono LP of Toscanini conducting Rossini overtures.

The room itself is gorgeous, and was purpose-built for the system.  It is completely acoustically isolated from the rest of the building, which since it is in the University Library, it has to be!  It's acoustically tuned and treated - lots of diffuser panels and the like, although the main acoustic treatment are the thousands and thousands of LP's that line the walls.  These LP's were largely donated by the room's namesake, William Ralston, and are mostly Classical music. 

The main curator of the room, Dr. Tam Carlson, was nice enough to allow us to play whatever music we wanted.  I played the MoFi LP of Alison Krauss's "So Long, So Wrong".  It was truly a mind-blowing experience.  I have never before heard soundstaging and imaging like this, and I have heard a lot of VERY high end systems.  I could not only hear a palpable image, but I could tell EXACTLY how tall Alison was, where she was standing, and when she moved around - her placement in every dimension was truly three dimensional.  I truly could, without ANY effort, picture her standing there, if I closed my eyes.  It was just astounding, and is almost hard to describe.  The sound was so lifelike it was absolutely hair-raising.  I am convinced that it takes a combination of great system AND a great room to achieve this, and in the Ralston room, both are present.

We moved on to the SACD of Peter Gabriel's "Security".  During "Lay Your Hands on Me", the dynamics were so explosive it again was a bit shocking.  The drum strikes during the mid part of the song were as realistic as you could ever imagine.  Digital sourced (like hi-res FLAC, which we did listen to some of) is handled by a relatively pedestrian Grace M902 DAC, but still sounded excellent.

Even listening to that 1950's mono RCA LP of Toscanini was just astonishing - the performance of William Tell's Overture was invigorating. It's hard to believe that such a recording could be so good, but it sure was!  The finale again produced goose bumps for me - always a good sign that I am absorbed by the music.

Also of interest is that the next phase of this project is a listening lounge with a whole bunch of headphone stations, where students (and others) will be able to play both the library's music (there are over 11,000 CD's in addition to the huge number of LP's), and their own music.  At this point it would appear that the Beyer DT770 will be the headphone of choice, due to a combination of durability and the necessity of it being closed-back, although the final choice there hadn't been made (needless to say I volunteered my opinion
wink_face.gif
).

I sure wish EVERY University had a room like this - because if they did, more people would care about sound reproduction.  Sure, this room is uber-expensive, but just opening more eyes to what sound CAN be like would help to further our hobby significantly.

If you are ever in south central Tennessee, make the time to visit this amazing room.  You won't regret it!

May 19, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 18
Great thread, Thanks! My wife and i have talked about visiting them. Did you just call the University and make an appointment?

May 19, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 18
If anyone is planning a visit, PM me and I can make some introductions. The main room requires a chaperon :D

May 20, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 18
wow, I mean, wow!

Next time, bring a decent camera Rob
very_evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for the story, very nice read:)

May 21, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7 of 18
wow i didnt know Uni hav sound rooms such as those. your right - every university should have one to 'introduce' the younger generations what a rig is. wish i can afford such toys though i'd have to have a dedicated treated room to house them which means i'd have to move and...and...dang it never ends
blink.gif

May 21, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #8 of 18
Moreso even than the gear they had, I left there dreaming of a dedicated, acoustically treated room. My main speaker rig is pretty high end...but it's in a multi-purpose family room that is very, very far from being good acoustically.

May 21, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Moreso even than the gear they had, I left there dreaming of a dedicated, acoustically treated room. My main speaker rig is pretty high end...but it's in a multi-purpose family room that is very, very far from being good acoustically.

We're sort of in the same boat then! I mean, the living room system here is not that high-end but it's reasonably good. The room, however, is not even close to being acoustically decent. The system portrays a nice soundstage, but there are some reverberations that draw attention to themselves and mess up the stage a bit. The speakers are dipolars and in a way that helps to create a larger image, but if the room was right, it would be miles better than it is today. Such a shame!

May 21, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Nice...thanks for sharing this experience (such as that is possible :) ) with us.  I didn't even know this room existed.

May 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #11 of 18
A great read. Thank you for sharing.

What impressed was the foresight to, first, properly design a space for optimum listening. Many times the performance possibilities of great equipment is compromised by a poor acoustic space. Imagine the sound of the Chicago Symphony performing in a high school basketball arena.

Best regards.

May 30, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Nice, Rob!

I look forward to hearing your new Wilson Audio speakers in your new audio dedicated room!
wink.gif

LOL!  Yeah, not switching from B&W to Wilson...but I DO want a dedicated listening room BADLY.  Anyway, who needs a back yard?  Grass is overrated
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:

I feel your pain. The speakers in my family room are not highend, but they are really good for midfi speakers. I have really gotten into audyssey dsx lately, and I'm really impressed with what 7 speakers can do for the front stage(7 speakers in front not including surrounds 8 if you count the sub). But I really can't enjoy them with the familly glued to the tv 24 7. But I did setup a nice two channel system in my office and have been really enjoying them, but I wish I can enjoy listening in my main room more. But anyway, that's a very impressive write up, and an even more impressive room. I'm even thinking about taking the 2 1/2 hour ride up there just to see it. But it may be too much for me to handle, so I better stay away from it.

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #15 of 18
Yeah if you decide to go visit (which I do recommend), be prepared to be jealous!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back