My (very) mini review of the Singxer SU-1 DDC
Oct 21, 2016 at 10:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tboooe

100+ Head-Fier
Let me first say I am not good at reviewing audio products.  I dont focus on minute details nor do I have "golden ears".  All I care about is if the music is enjoyable and pleasant to me.  So hopefully I have properly lowered everyone's expectations here we go....

So I've had the SU-1 for exactly a week now.  It replaced a MUTEC MC3+USB.  I reason why I got rid of the MUTEC was because it does not support DSD (well it does but it converts up to DSD256 to PCM).  My plan is to upgrade my DAC to one that can accept native DSD via I2S(not DoP) so getting the SU-1 was the first step towards this upgrade.  I am using the SPDIF BNC output.

I would characterize the SU-1 as clear, crisp and dynamic.  Strings, drum, etc sound very well defined and have just enough of an edge without sounding bright or too sharp.  High and lows are presented with a lot of energy and detail I did not hear previously with the MUTEC.  The overall sound is very very clear, open, airy.  Notes just rise in the air and lingers in a pleasant way.  In no way is the SU-1 bright though.

The midrange is where I am bit more conflicted.  I will admit I am a bit of a closet/wannabe tube guy, though due to laziness I dont own any tube gear.  I listen to mainly female vocals and acoustic music so I like a warm, intimate, organic environment.  The MUTEC presented the midrange with more weight and texture (aside...maybe the texture I am hearing is graininess which the SU-1 definitely does not at all).  There is more of a 3d effect with the MUTEC.  Vocals seem to have shape and size.  With the SU-1, vocals are definitely more flat and not as "warm".  I wont go so far as to say mids are bleached out but compared to the MUTEC, the SU-1 presents mids in a different way.  In my system, which already leans towards the warm and lush side, the SU-1 provides a good balance.  

Overall, I am very pleased with the SU-1.  The dynamics and energy of the SU-1 is very addictive.  I was worried that perhaps I was falling in love with the BOSE effect but after a week, I havent experienced any listener fatigue.  I am still trying to get my head wrapped around the presentation of the midrange though.  However, i would say this comment is purely based on preference and not some shortcoming of the SU-1.  

The build quality of the SU-1 is fantastic.  Installing the driver was a breeze.  Note that the included driver does not have settings for latency and buffer size which I am used to having.  

Hope this proves useful to someone.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Thank´s Tboooe for the review. Useful for my opinion.

In my case, now I have the Yellowtec Puc 2 Lite, and probably encourage me to buy the SU-1. More versatility with audio formats and I hope has a better sound.

Oct 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 9
Audio format and output type flexibility was precisely one of the main reasons why I got the SU-1. I use HQPlayer to upsample all my music to DSD256 so I am looking to get a DAC that supports that format with via I2S instead of USB. The more I listen to the SU-1 the more I like it. Absolutely no regrets selling the Mutec.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #4 of 9
I have the Singxer SU-1 and I'm waiting for my W4S DAC2 DSDse to come back from a modification to the new ESS Sabre 9038 pro chip. When I get it back I will try the i2s input. Tboooe, did you try the i2s yet??
I'm currently using the SU-1's coax out to an iFi micro idsd and it is fantastic. I will report back when I try i2s.

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 9
  I have the Singxer SU-1 and I'm waiting for my W4S DAC2 DSDse to come back from a modification to the new ESS Sabre 9038 pro chip. When I get it back I will try the i2s input. Tboooe, did you try the i2s yet??
I'm currently using the SU-1's coax out to an iFi micro idsd and it is fantastic. I will report back when I try i2s.

Yes, I have been using the i2s input and prefer it over SPDIF via BNC.  I did not compare it to AES though.  I think i2s sounds a bit more clear.  Another reason why I prefer i2s is because I use HQP to upsample to DSD256 and DSD512.  What hdmi cable are you using?

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #6 of 9

I couldn't get i2s to work with my PS Audio PWD mkii.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #7 of 9

I couldn't get i2s to work with my PS Audio PWD mkii.

Did you check the dip switches on the bottom of the SU-1?  

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes but the info I found to change it to didn't make sense.

Ended up selling it because I didn't like how it paired w/ the YggY.

Mar 17, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 9
  Yes but the info I found to change it to didn't make sense.

Ended up selling it because I didn't like how it paired w/ the YggY.

yes, the dip switches are important because their are a couple of different pin-outs for i2s.  so if you couldn't get it to work, that's probably why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back