My thoughts on Image S4, Turbine and Turbine Pro Gold
May 24, 2010 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

408mike

100+ Head-Fier
I listen mostly to trance, some house, some drum n bass. Rock thrown in for good measure, occasionaly hip hop though not very often.

The S4 was my first pair of decent cans and I liked them very much. I still miss the isolation and seal with the silicon tips. Having said that, the bass was a bit heavy and booming and the music was never really clear. I was always blasting at high levels to get the seperation I desire. I was a dj for several years and spent many many many hours getting to know my records and listening to every nuance. I was using a Rane Empath, the sony djm 700's, orotophone nightclub tips so you can imagine I am used to very very clear music.

The turbines were an ok upgrade. More seperation, less bass, more neutral sounding. VERY forward mids. I think I can swing between the turbines and S4. They are equals in my eyes. The turbines do a very nice job with trance however. The bass is tight and hits JUST right. No rumble however, which I miss from having subwoofers. Anyway, the thing that really got to me with the turbines is what you might call soundstage. I do not have a word for it although I can describe it. I like to have the music in my head, enveloping me if you will. With the turbines the music always sounded DISTANT. That's how I would describe them. It's like they produced music better than the S4 but the S4 had that ability to sound like the music was being imported into my brain. I had switched to comply tips and was able to get a great seal so that is not the issue. In fact, the turbines go so damn loud after a few min of listening my ears would be ringing yet the music was distant the whole time.

Enter the MTPG. Picked these up friday for $180. HOLY CRAP! These are everything I have ever wanted in a set of ear phones, IEM's whatever! The seperation, clarity, sparkle, the EVERYTHING of these phones is just freaking amazing! They sound dramatically louder than the reg turbines at much lower volume and are able to create that 3d sound imaging in my head that I have wanted to badly. The mids are not forward, they are perfect. Highs have SOME sibilance but I only have maybe 20 hours of burn in and I assume that will fix itself. The bass lacks rumble but I cannot get a perfect seal even with complys. However, if i push the cans in and hold them there, I can hear the rumble so I know I just need to achieve a better seal. I think the silicone tips I have seen will do it. The silicone tips that came with the S4 are probably a big reason they work so well.

Anyway, trance is just incredible on these cans. With the MTPG, I literally hear SO many things in my music I never heard before. I like live mixes, and now I can not only hear people that were there talking, I can sometimes hear what they were saying! It's almost creepy. As songs are mixed you can hear how well the phones reproduce different sounds and ranges. I really hate having had to spend so much damn money getting this figured out, but I will say I am pretty ecstatic about the MTPG.

Much props to clieo (sp?) he has said numerous times he liked the turbines for trance and he was the reason I tried them.

If you dig trance and house etc, and are looking for cans that will blow you away and make you smile as you listen to music, get the MTPG. Not sure about the copper, at no time soon will I be able to afford. peace.

May 25, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 15
If you found the MTPG to have a bit of sibilance and also want deeper bass and prefer the more neutral mids I think you have the right Monster Turbin Pro model for your listening pleasure. I have owned the MTPG and now own the MTPC, the main difference between them is the slight bass emphasis and slightly less sparkle of the Gold. The Gold also has a slightly smaller sound stage but is adequate. I suspect the sparkle of the MTPC might be more than you would like.

Also the Mile Davis model would probably not be to your liking as it is supposed to be similar to the Gold but with more emphasized mids which again sound like they would not be your cup of tea.

So relax and just enjoy your new found listening pleasure and don't let that nasty upgradeitus get you!

May 25, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 15
IMO the best buy of the Monster top offerings (MD, Golds, Coppers) are the Golds but that's just my opinion. I liked the Golds but was no where near my signature. The sibilance is a bit strange however. I never got any sibilance with the Golds even when I had a horrible fit so maybe it's a tip issue or it's already in the track. If none of the included tips work out for you I would look into buying some sony hybrids as they worked well for me.

May 26, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the advice on the tips. Strange that I could get such a good seal from the large silicons that came with my S4's and yet for the life of me I cannot get a seal on my turbines. Where can I buy the Sony hybrid tips?

May 26, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 15
"So relax and just enjoy your new found listening pleasure and don't let that nasty upgradeitus get you!"

Haha I think it already has! I went from not having spent much of anything ever on headphones to having spent $360 in a matter of months haha. My friends think I  am nuts. I suppose it's off to full size cans from here. I think above the $200 threshold some very nice full size cans can be had. Ah a new addiction...

May 26, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #6 of 15
@408mike , nice impressions and thoughts ,good to hear you are enjoying the golds 

May 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #7 of 15
I purchased my pack of the Sony Hybrids from my local Best Buy.  You can look up in-store availability on their website.

May 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #8 of 15
"I purchased my pack of the Sony Hybrids from my local Best Buy.  You can look up in-store availability on their website."

Thanks! Dang I never thought of going to BB. I went there looking for replacement tips for my S4 and they didn't carry them. Come to think of it, neither did radio shack or fry's. Biggest gripe I had with the S4's.

After some more burn in, the mids are mellowing and the bass is much much better! Louder, more defined, boomy yet what blows me away is the seperation. Highs mids lows all present and crystal clear. These things are actually blowing me away to a degree. Very musical. Def worth $200 or so.

May 26, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #13 of 15

They have these at my local BB. Going to pick them up in an hour actually. Will report back how I like them good/bad etc.

Quote:

May 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #14 of 15

No. A guy on CL had them, receipt and everything. Don't think he knew they need burn in. I got my turbines that way, some guy got his and promptly sold them to me for a huge loss. When I first heard them, I was shocked how bad they sounded. Some burn in and bought a set of complys and they sounded like completely different earpieces. Hunt around craigslist you will for sure find people selling these because they buy them and think they sound horrible.

Quote:
you got these for $180? were they the open box from onecall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back