My Thoughts Of the New Sony Walkman A865
Sep 3, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #76 of 516
@ LEYLANDI 

Thank you! This looks like the X replacement after all, almost pulled trigger on the new A series and as nice as the new A series looks will now hold out for this prototype even if this is not released until next year.

Amp and SQ will most probably be same as this new A series but looks likes a premium build with the main feature been the Android o/s.

Trying to work our the back cover with those two slots near the middle, hope they are not mini speakers!? Could not see if it also had hard buttons anywhere.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #78 of 516
I shouldn't pay too much attention to that review - they like the ex300s it came with...

The new A isn't much of an upgrade on 2010's A - an lcd screen versus OLED, plastic versus metal.

Nor even is it an upgrade on the 2 and a half year old X.

Sep 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #79 of 516
The review is fair,  they said the ex300's were decent compared with the stock headphones that come with most mp3 players, and they ARE.  For the average user who doesn't spent $100+ on headphones, they will probably be very satisfied.

The screen isn't an issue for me.  I have an Evo 3d to watch videos and such, an lcd screen is perfectly acceptable if you are using this primarily as a music player. 

The sound is very very good, which is the most important thing. I use it with sony ex700's and with these and a fiio e5 amp (amp newbie, the e5 is a stepping stone for me probably) = audio bliss.  16gb is not enough however.  I will probably order the 32 or 64 gb from advanced mp3 eventually.

Touch screen sensitivity has been improved over the X in my opinion,  as the x was TOO sensitive in my opinion. They have also moved there vertical cover flow to a submenu option (used to hate accidently brushing the x screen too hard, it was way too easy to go into coverflow mode).  I like the hold button implementation on the X better, the one on this is sufficient however. 

Also, you can make up to five playlists (Called bookmarks) on the player, this along with the senseme function is sufficient for me.

Battery life is decent although not comparable to some competitors,  I don't think it will be a major concern.  I wish it was user replaceable however.

Quote:
I shouldn't pay too much attention to that review - they like the ex300s it came with...

The new A isn't much of an upgrade on 2010's A - an lcd screen versus OLED, plastic versus metal.

Nor even is it an upgrade on the 2 and a half year old X.

Sep 16, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #80 of 516
Playlists is good - at least they carried that over from the S.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #81 of 516
I have this DAP and to be honest for me it sounds great - even with stock earphones (EX300) I am now noticing more detail than any of my previous players and headphone combos.

I had a pair of RE0's on order but have been messed around by the company selling them and have now asked to cancel the order and a refund.  Can those who own this DAP recommend a good IEM that would complement this DAP for circa £100?  Would the RE0 be a good companion or should I be looking elsewhere?  I prefer a detailed sound with well presented bass, and a good soundstage.  My musical tastes are generally Indie, Trip Hop, with some Rock, Metal and Classical all in the mix.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 20, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #82 of 516
After doing my research on this site I feel you may be right.  Thanks for the advice.  In your opinion would the RE0 or even the RE262 be a good match for the A865?  I appreciate it is difficult, but I would like to make an informed choice when getting the IEM and I need all the help that I can get!

Thanks in advance.

Sep 21, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #84 of 516
In the Netherlands the NWZ-A867 (64GB) is apparently available, I just ordered one.
Although I consider it extremely expensive, I love to be able to put my entire music collection on the device.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #89 of 516

Quote:
Hey guys just wanna ask how is the battery life of this walkman? Can it last for a few days? Few weeks?(most prob not)

Thanks

Depends on your usage.  I haven't drained it yet but I'm usually listening for 3 to 5 hours a day, second day I'm at roughly half battery then it goes back to charger.  This is using eq with clear bass at 2 volume usually around 15-17 when I use with fiio E5, 20-23 without. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back