My Thorens meets my Nakamichi -- Under the bed
Jan 24, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, hciman77...my CDs have a pleasing lack of noise.

The problem for me is that some of them also have a displeasing lack of music...

--Jerome

Jan 24, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yesterday my co-worker decided to eat a bag of crisps (chips to US readers) in the office and I had to leave the room for 15 minutes to avoid an incident
eek.gif

MUST...seek...anger management counselling.
redface.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MUST...seek...anger management counselling.
redface.gif

Step outside and say that
wink.gif

Actually I havent hit another person since 1974, but some noises just set me off big time and I worry that I might say something I would regret, hey I am old(ish) and expected to be crochety.

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #19 of 52
This is all very depressing to someone who is searching for a turntable so that they can listen to their vinyl collection.

Don't some of us want the analog/vinyl experience from our CD players without the pops and scratches?

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #20 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtortorella /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, too, had a disappointing second experience with vinyl. I just could not get by the clicks and pops. I had an expensive rig and a good record cleaner, but there seemed to be no way to avoid surface noise. I think this characteristic is even more apparent when played through headphones. Yes, analogue sounds great...but I just could not tolerate the noise.

Well one should only clean a record once or twice in its lifetime. Time to get some new records though if this is more the case than not, in terms of loudness or pops. A loud pop is n
eek.gif
t good on a record, and is actually a tiny explosion happening when there is non-reversable damage to the groove at that point, is detrimental too for the stylus.

The tradeoffs are worth to those whom prefer Vinyl as preferred medium, I will take a pop once in awhile any day to the harshness and MR bump that CD delivers. The sound of LPs and analog simply appeals to many more so than Digital.

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #21 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audiofiler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tradeoffs are worth to those whom prefer Vinyl as preferred medium, I will take a pop once in awhile any day to the harshness and MR bump that CD delivers. The sound of LPs and analog simply appeals to many more so than Digital.

MR Bump ? Do you mean midrange bump ?, how, any half decent CD player is razor flat from 20 - 20K and even a really bad one only drops 1/2 to one DB at 20K, unless you include WADIA who deliberately include a 3db roll-off at 20K
confused.gif

Many, is this like the Troll version of counting from Terry Pratchett (Men at Arms) .....

one, two, three, many, many-one, many-two, many-three, many many, many-many-one, many-many-two, many-many-three, many many many, many-many-many-one, many-many-many-two, many-many-many-three, LOTS
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #22 of 52
i am saddened by this. vinyl needs love too, and putting it under the bed like that... is just plain neglectful!

Jan 25, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MR Bump ? Do you mean midrange bump ?, how, any half decent CD player is razor flat from 20 - 20K and even a really bad one only drops 1/2 to one DB at 20K, unless you include WADIA who deliberately include a 3db roll-off at 20K
confused.gif

Many, is this like the Troll version of counting from Terry Pratchett (Men at Arms) .....

one, two, three, many, many-one, many-two, many-three, many many, many-many-one, many-many-two, many-many-three, many many many, many-many-many-one, many-many-many-two, many-many-many-three, LOTS
wink.gif

i try to buy my classical on sacd when possible as i gave up vinyl many
years ago .

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #24 of 52
yes,
what would be better for classical symphonies.
cd or LP?

cd can storage more data/more instruments than LP?
so, cd would be better/analytical?

there is no reel tape 76cm/s classical.

symphony=cd?

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #26 of 52
it's not about the ear.
but which has more information.

let's say a symphony has 80-100 instruments.
is it lp or cd which has the data to shine all those instruments.

or is it reel-to-reel 76cm/s as the ultimate?

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not about the ear.

if your asking my opinion the cd or i would still have my vinyl rig .

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 19lexicon78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's not about the ear.

If you take an information theory approach and assume a usable bandwidth of 20 - 20,00hz then CD stores far more information. This is because it has a greater dynamic range and a better signal to noise ratio. CD has a dynamic range of 96db, LP typically 70 - 75db. CD has the same capability at 20Khz as it does at 20hz, LP has certain physical limitations , you cant store the same high level signal on an LP at 20Khz as at 20hz, one it would burn the cutter head and even if you could the playback stylus simply would not track at those levels.

Jan 26, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #29 of 52
I'm really amazed of seeing one of these threads still alive without the interference of the vinyl zealots...LOL...

I'm with you guys, simply I can't stand the noise and all LPs (even just open new) will deliver it...I grew up listening and selling LPs, and trust me that there is no such a silent LP, none, cero, nada, all LPs have surface noise at least which inherent ot hte media, and all of them a pop and scratch once in a while, even while new...

There is no $2.00 decent LP, that is IMO a plain lie, unless a junk LP from a Salvation Army, a very good condition LP will sell for almost as a good used CD, you can find nowdays cheaper CDs than LPs due to availabllity...

Music on LP that is not relesed in CD exist (and the other way around as well) of course, but is the less, and trust me that to find one of those LPs in good condition is not easy neither.

Just one that cross my mind now, Brian May and Friends: "Starfleet Project" It was never relesed on CD and all the LPs I have been able to find for cheap are all busted, and a new one, if you are able to find it, cost you an arm and a leg...so I picked uo a copy on Cd from eBay and ended my search, copy that was done from an LP, and is far from sounding good...

Of all the analog media existent, IMO, people had chosen one of the less apropriate to stick to the analog world...I ahve a firend that still has a lot of reel to reel tapes, oh man that sounds so sweet...!!!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #30 of 52
my all time favorite is when someone tells me there is no wear on a properly set up rig if this were true a stylus would never need replacing
and unless i am wrong the grooves would have to lose some high frequency info after repeated playings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back