My take on UM2 vs E5c
Apr 27, 2006 at 1:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

jdimitri

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all I recieved my UM2 a couple of days ago and i'm ready to make some first impressions.
I traded my e5c for a UM2 because the e5c just isnt comfortable for me, it doesnt sit nicely in my ear.
Since the moment i put the UM2 in my ear i know im not dealing with a whole different iem. Its much more the same than it is different.
The differences are: highs are not as recessed, bass SLIGHTLY more present, the whole presentation is a bit closer to you (does that make sense)
The most important one for me: its soooo much more comfortable!
I thought the e5c's memory wire was fine but when i used these wooooh
eek.gif

i realized how stupid it was! It fits much better in my ear (i think it's a bit bigger)
So far, i haven't regretted trading them at all! The person i traded with also prefers his new e5c, so it worked fine for us!
Watch this face for a full review in the coming week!
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #3 of 13
Congratulations, jdimitri.......I'm glad you're enjoying your new IEMs.
When I went to the National Meet last weekend, I had no intention of buying anything. However, one listen to the UM2 convinced me otherwise. Not only was the sound first-rate (I preferred their warmer presentation to both the E5 and the new Shure E500), but the comfort level was absolutely wonderful as well. I literally could not feel them in my ears. They should be here by the weekend.
Looking forward to your more in-depth review. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #4 of 13
Apr 27, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
When I went to the National Meet last weekend, I had no intention of buying anything. However, one listen to the UM2 convinced me otherwise. Not only was the sound first-rate (I preferred their warmer presentation to both the E5 and the new Shure E500), but the comfort level was absolutely wonderful as well. I literally could not feel them in my ears. They should be here by the weekend.
biggrin.gif

Arggh! Don't tell me that... I'm anxiously awaiting my E500's and if they don't dazzle I'm going ES2
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Got to agree with you on this one, especially in terms of comfort. I've had a love/hate relationship with IEMs for the longest time. I love the idea of them but I hate (well, hate is a strong word) the way they sat in my ears. I've tried Etys, Shure e2, e3, and e500 at the meet, and none of them just "disappeared". However, when I tried on the UM2 I was amazed at the comfort. I'm this close to buying a pair myself.

Apr 27, 2006 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
Got to agree with you on this one, especially in terms of comfort. I've had a love/hate relationship with IEMs for the longest time. I love the idea of them but I hate (well, hate is a strong word) the way they sat in my ears. I've tried Etys, Shure e2, e3, and e500 at the meet, and none of them just "disappeared". However, when I tried on the UM2 I was amazed at the comfort. I'm this close to buying a pair myself.

To help you make a decision, Erik, I'll tell you that I just received the UM2, popped 'em in, and the comfort (not to mention the sound) is truly amazing. They almost disappear........just sweet music. Right now, I'm using the foamies that came with them, but I'll try a variety of tips. I hate spending money on foamies, when I could be buying headphones instead.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:01 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

To help you make a decision, Erik, I'll tell you that I just received the UM2, popped 'em in, and the comfort (not to mention the sound) is truly amazing. They almost disappear........just sweet music. Right now, I'm using the foamies that came with them, but I'll try a variety of tips. I hate spending money on foamies, when I could be buying headphones instead.
wink.gif

Oh man, Bob! You are so cruel. Do you happen to know how long small children can go without eating?

Apr 27, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #9 of 13
The UM2's really don't get their due credit around here. I just threw on my DT770's after listening to my UM2's all morning and yuk! The UM2's easily blow the DT770's away in all respects except soundstage.

Must resist the ES2 temptation!

Apr 27, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 13
Oh, it so cool all that UM2 appreciation posts!...

Sometimes I can't imagine how to improve the sound they deliver... I've compared them with E4 and ER6i and they are in another league...

biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 12:39 PM Post #12 of 13
The higher you go up the audiophile ladder the more similar equipment sound. Not surprising because they are after the same goal. How each manufacturer defines that goal is where subjectivity begins.

Ear comfort in iems is a take it or leave it kind of thing. Without modding options, you really shouldn't be forcing a set on yourself. I am glad the trade worked for you guys.

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:31 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
Oh, it so cool all that UM2 appreciation posts!...

Sometimes I can't imagine how to improve the sound they deliver... I've compared them with E4 and ER6i and they are in another league...

biggrin.gif

I hate to say it, (poor wallet) but UM2's are MUCH better with custom earmolds. Properly done they not only disappear but make the sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back