My subwoofer is humming
Sep 16, 2011 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Clincher09

500+ Head-Fier
I have a subwoofer that I use with my computer and it hasn't had any problems, but I turned it on last night and it started humming and I can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 5
Something similar happened with my Altec Lansing computer speakers with their floor subwoofer. With me it was the connection in back of the subwoofer going out to the computer which was getting loose due to taking out the male plug so many times in a span of eight years. So it might be a loose connection in back of the subwoofer or speakers or a male plug not properly inserted.

Could also be you recently moved it near something perhaps magnetic which is causing it to hum.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 5
Could be a cap going bad....how old is the sub ?

Peete.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 5
Mine is humming too. I cant tell if it's a ground loop issue, or if its something internal. Plugging it to the wall and stuff still causes a hum. How would I go about sorting the issue or fixing it completely. It's an Awia sub that I salvaged from an old home theater kit. From like 8 years ago.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Mine is humming too. I cant tell if it's a ground loop issue, or if its something internal. Plugging it to the wall and stuff still causes a hum. How would I go about sorting the issue or fixing it completely. It's an Awia sub that I salvaged from an old home theater kit. From like 8 years ago.

Computer as a source ? Likely a ground loop. Try rearranging your system's power cords, remove any signal wires away from the mains cables, separate them, keep any RFI/EMI emitting stuff well away from the signal and power cables. Try isolating your system used for audio from your computer and try and figure out if the outlet you have your gear plugged into is shared with other stuff in the house (like fridge, AC unit, etc). If you have to have a signal wire near a power cable make sure it crosses at 90 degree angle (as opposed to parallel) and lastly if you have wifi routers, cell phones etc nearby the source relocate them (a few feet away).

In the end if the hum is still present try the system with just the bare essentials without a computer as a source (grab a DVDP for instance) and then test it with the amp/speakers/sub ...if the hum is STILL there look for a ground lift switch on the back of the amp or sub and try that...if that option is not present then it's possible the sub has a bad cap or something along those lines or it's time to invest in another sub that has gnd lift circuitry.

It's hard to say for sure what the issue could be in the end...some considerable experimenting is warranted IMO before spending any money on products like the Ebtech Hum X (which is effective but costs more than this used sub I'm willing to wager).

Good luck....

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back